• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The 2 old boys of the group, they are 8 The others in there out door run 

Posted Images

whats peoples opinions on size? Just since a few of the lads (myself included) have had some of their best workers be small ferrets. I'm still relatively new to ferreting as I've only been doing it about 2 years now so I'm not as clued up as you lot. Is bigger better or like my lass tells me does size not matter?

• Like 1

Ha , I only keep ferrets that work I don’t bother about size or colour as long as they work , I have 2 lines of ferret one is smaller then normal but if am off out for a big day I always take the bigger jills ( not massive just normal) 

• Like 1

Most important thing is they work well and have a good temperament, I do personally dislike larger than average ferrets though. I always work a mix of hobs and jills and those cat like hobs are no good for the job in my opinion, to big and strong and if they get hold of a rabbit they are not letting go! Ferrets job is to bolt the rabbit not kill it! I have noticed this year though that with a few less rabbits about mainly the remaining rabbits are seem slightly bigger and stronger than last few years, less competition for food and best warren space perhaps? My imagination maybe!?

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

Most important thing is they work well and have a good temperament, I do personally dislike larger than average ferrets though. I always work a mix of hobs and jills and those cat like hobs are no good for the job in my opinion, to big and strong and if they get hold of a rabbit they are not letting go! Ferrets job is to bolt the rabbit not kill it! I have noticed this year though that with a few less rabbits about mainly the remaining rabbits are seem slightly bigger and stronger than last few years, less competition for food and best warren space perhaps? My imagination maybe!?

I've noticed at one of my permissions that the few rabbits we can get seem bigger than usual. 

• Like 1