Duck feeding

Bob. You will only see flighting duck when there is cloud. A clear sky makes it absolutely impossible. You need to be downwind therefore knowing which direction the birds will be alighting then watch that sky like a snake watching a rat. They are quite predictable and you only need to hear the wings to get that memorable shot. Again, good shooting. Jok.

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t beat a bit of duck flighting......will they come, won’t they come.....the sound of pinions in the sky....teal buzzing round like moths....just started feeding up a pond in a wood.....will give u

Had a few evenings on one of our ponds this season. 23 picked between four guns on Saturday. Best part about it for me is the dog work, working this little fella. He's got the job sussed no

Posted Images

Just re-read your last post and I agree with not shooting birds off the water. What a shit thing to do. A bit like looking at a covey of partridge and letting rip. No mate, stick to your morals and get that lovely glow when you have a real good shot. Jok.

12 hours ago, bobajob said:

Wilbur I am doing it around about 4.30pm to 5.30pm and by the latter it is very dark. Is this what you mean by evening flight?? By the 5.30pm can barely see anything and all I can do is listen for them and hope for a flight across an visible break of skyline..iv seen me sitting and all I hear is the splash of them landing in the puddle..p.s no I don't shoot them.. I try make a noise to get them up  .. no sport in shooting them off the water.

If all you are hearing is a splash from the duck landing in the water without seeing them coming in then it’s time to go home,also remember that mallard are a b*****d for coming in at all different times of the night,atb wf

• Like 1
10 hours ago, wilbur foxhound said:

If all you are hearing is a splash from the duck landing in the water without seeing them coming in then it’s time to go home,also remember that mallard are a b*****d for coming in at all different times of the night,atb wf

Teal..!!!! Bloody fast birds ..

You Just re-read your last post and I agree with not shooting birds off the water. What a shit thing to do. A bit like looking at a covey of partridge and letting rip. No mate, stick to your morals and get that lovely glow when you have a real teaser of a shot. By the way, in my opinion, feeding as you have indicated, will be a complete waste of time, effort and money. When the birds pair up they do not crave feeding areas. As you might already know, mallard, our native duck, does not nest on or even particularly near open water. They secret themselves in ditches and culverts quite away from ponds. They do this to hide from predators and are remarkably successful at it. There are many films or sequences of that proud mallard marching his/her brood to the local pond. No mate, in my humble opinion, your time would be better spent building suitable hides and access points which will allow you much better concealment next season. Start feeding about September and get in these hides to monitor the flights. Then go to it. Jok.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with feeding ponds beyond the season limit.....put a bit back into the cycle and just ....maybe just ...the duck will remember next season  where there was some good feeding...

• Like 1

Sorry for daft laddie questions but never heard of feeding bananas at flight ponds.

When your feeding bananas onto your flight ponds are you doing anything to them first ? 

Squashing them or peeling them ? and do you put them on the ground or into the water ?

Has anybody tried shooting running water? Rivers, streams, ditches etc?

I assume it's possible, particularly if you have like a bit of an eddy. Otherwise feed on the bank I guess. Also I'd think a dog for picking up promptly would be necessary.

Ponds are few and far between i seems round here but running water might give me options...

2 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

I assume it's possible, particularly if you have like a bit of an eddy. Otherwise feed on the bank I guess. Also I'd think a dog for picking up promptly would be necessary.

Ponds are few and far between i seems round here but running water might give me options...

would you need a net down stream to catch any floating down stream?

On 15/01/2019 at 10:32, Born Hunter said:

You could make a floating raft and tether it to the bank and feed that mate, seen it done to good effect....

• Like 1

Had a few evenings on one of our ponds this season. 23 picked between four guns on Saturday.

FF1460E0-F030-42F4-B5C4-C59A51091CDA.jpeg

Best part about it for me is the dog work, working this little fella. He's got the job sussed now, sitting quietly and patiently, watching the duck zooming around and I can be fairly sure when cast off into the twilight that he has the initiative and experience to find the bird with no handling so I can remain focused on what's coming in. I always go the next morning and pick a few more that other guns couldn't find, managed to find 3 on Sunday at daybreak.

7A72916B-D1A4-4BB8-9F63-BB65CF307F16.jpeg

523E9F01-006A-4920-A2CE-8CE14D554D94.jpeg

BB0CBDD8-099D-4CDF-B932-E96DBEC7BD17.jpeg

Pic of Sunday morning. Back home for late breakfast. The final tally 26 picked.

4E405789-C843-40B6-BF67-D7F2536D5004.jpeg

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 3

Greenshank 1. To be fair it was a happenstance . A good friend worked for a local fruit and veg merchant. As you would imagine, stock got tired and needed getting rid of. Me ,being me, decided to accept his offer of free duck food. Without doubt this was one of the best things we did on the (small) flight ponds. I stripped the bananas and just laid them around the perimeters mixed in with barley. I never, on these ponds, bothered with potatoes. The results were superb. Now I can't say whether the bananas had anything to do with the outcome but it's worth a go when you consider the amounts that are getting binned on a regular basis. On an aside, the supermarkets bin tons upon tons of fruit and vegetable produce so a little word might, just might, get you an outcome. Good luck. Jok.