Training mink.

14 hours ago, Jim71 said:

Hi. I’m in the process of training a young mink that I found as a baby to hunt rats. I’d like to breed from her next year. Has anyone got a reasonably tame male?

Hi  mate , and  well come to the nut house ,  there a bloke on here   from USA  Mink Man , does very well with them, he got  a book out , few vids working them and using his lurcher bitch  working along side with the mink killing rats . i enjoy is posts  , have look on here and pm  him , he nice bloke . (minknery ) on here is his  name

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree Bird. Watching his vids are very entertaining and even though he's over the pond it's easy to relate what's going on. Highly recommended but doesn't sort out the problem of having someone over here with a male mink. I wish the lad well. Jok.

On 18/09/2018 at 10:38, bird said:

Hi  mate , and  well come to the nut house ,  there a bloke on here   from USA  Mink Man , does very well with them, he got  a book out , few vids working them and using his lurcher bitch  working along side with the mink killing rats . i enjoy is posts  , have look on here and pm  him , he nice bloke . (minknery ) on here is his  name

Yes I know of him. His name is Joseph Carter. His dog, Onsa, was killed by a truck a few months ago and he's in the process of training another couple. He doesn't often reply to messages on his sites, in fact he just deleted a question I asked him. I've learned a lot from his videos though before I came across Molly, the mink I have. She climbs my leg to feed from my hand just now and plays constantly with lures i drag for her. I would really like to breed from her next year and my request is for someone with a male mink to breed with and share the kits. I had ferrets for 45 years but mink are something else; if you can avoid getting bitten as they bite for fun. 

Minkery is your man for advice mate but as said doesn't help with a male though.

If I wanted to learn about mink, Minkery would be my point of call. Even if he is a Yank with an accent that would curdle any British cows milk in seconds :laugh:

You never know though, he has a pretty popular YouTube channel, maybe he can connect you with someone normal (as in British)

15 hours ago, mushroom said:

Has he gotten the big for his boots bug? (Not good to hear about Onsa).

I always took him as a very open guy. He came on here exactly as you are now, asking advice and help. Usually the sign of a humble person. 

bloody shame with dog that, she a great lurcher for that job, hope his new dog is as good as her .

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/09/2018 at 13:34, Loton Moocher said:

good luckwith your project ,a mate of mine had to kits many years ago now ,they were wildest things you would ever see you couldn't do a thing with them let alone handle them ? hope you do better with yours bud atb.

Up to now she meets me at her pen gate at feeding time. She climbs up my leg to be fed and jumps onto my hand to feed. She’ll chase a lure like crazy and i’ve Just trained her to go into a pet carrier. She’ll come out of her pen and follow me back in. Will she let me pick her up? You must be kidding! She goes nuts. 

• Like 1