Japan Petitioning The IWC To Lift Whaling Ban

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my old man was on the catchers.38/39..he still believed in it till he died.. south georgia...that season was the last of the fraca's..somewere in the region of fourty thousand taken..they knew then,an

They served in the first world war!  Scotland, Ireland and all thcolonies played their part.     

Leave them alone they have sacrificed enough for us. Time to be left in peace

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

I don't see the issue with letting the Japanese take a few.

....... Record and regulate the numbers. Stiff penalties for anyone that takes the piss.

Funny it’s always the Japs being demonised. Often forgot they ain’t the only folks at it....

Id like to hear about the level of sentience of whales personally. That has to be a factor in the morality of this surely.

Also the conservation history of the species that is actually harvested. There’s a difference there between modern whaling and historical.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Funny it’s always the Japs being demonised. Often forgot they ain’t the only folks at it....

Id like to hear about the level of sentience of whales personally. That has to be a factor in the morality of this surely.

Also the conservation history of the species that is actually harvested. There’s a difference there between modern whaling and historical.

That's a really interesting point - there must be a big brain in that huge head.

......... It makes you wonder.

24 minutes ago, ginger beard said:

What you highlighted there jonjon is something the vegans say.

I just find it interesting mate - they don't even know what all of our brain does and, it's smaller than a whale's.

I don't disagree with hunting a couple. In fact, i wouldn't mind trying a couple of the traditional dishes :thumbs:

3 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

If stocks are sustainable I'm not really sure we have grounds to oppose it, do we? Give me ya best argument whale warriors!

Like with trophy hunting it's not really for me but I don't necessarily oppose it, but can we equate commercial slaughter for profit with trophy hunting permits to aid in conservation?

I'd rather see that than the alternative also a clear definition of what sustainable is in this context.

I don't have an issue with subsistence hunting/whaling but there's a massive difference between a native Inuit tribe and the Nisshin Maru.

3 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

Like with trophy hunting it's not really for me but I don't necessarily oppose it, but can we equate commercial slaughter for profit with trophy hunting permits to aid in conservation?

I'd rather see that than the alternative also a clear definition of what sustainable is in this context.

I don't have an issue with subsistence hunting/whaling but there's a massive difference between a native Inuit tribe and the Nisshin Maru.

Yeah, I sort of conflated the two. They might be different but both have to be sustainable. Commercial whaling has more in kin with commercial fishing than subsistence or sport hunting/fishing and really should be treated as such here.

I don't think the hunting conservation model can easily be applied to populations that reside in the oceans as no one can take ownership of them the same way we can land. They have to be treated like national parks/public lands with the international community the custodians and law enforcers.