Aahhhhhrrrrr £!@##$%

Feel your pain ,sat watching a beep beep in amongst the horses in the front garden across the road from my perm as though the critter knew no chance of being shot at .Would it come to any call no it @)((&&&& wouldnt .

• Like 1

I know where you are coming from. Some time ago I had one that was so touchy. This was before the advent of night vision. I tried everything, white light,  red, Orange , green, blue, going different ways around the ground  but nothing worked. at the first sight of light or movement it was off and didnt come back. One night I just saw the slightest flash of an eye alongside of a wood, The reflection flash was so little that at first it could have been a moth. I eventually got over to the wood and the dog went in. I didnt really think Fox and continued up round the top and out into the field beyond. The light went on and it was out in the field. It dropped down flat on the ground in a rut. I quickly took the shot. The behaviour of that one was odd. I'd  seen it every night for  more than a month but that time was the first and only opportunity. One shot one kill.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Meece said:

I know where you are coming from. Some time ago I had one that was so touchy. This was before the advent of night vision. I tried everything, white light,  red, Orange , green, blue, going different ways around the ground  but nothing worked. at the first sight of light or movement it was off and didnt come back. One night I just saw the slightest flash of an eye alongside of a wood, The reflection flash was so little that at first it could have been a moth. I eventually got over to the wood and the dog went in. I didnt really think Fox and continued up round the top and out into the field beyond. The light went on and it was out in the field. It dropped down flat on the ground in a rut. I quickly took the shot. The behaviour of that one was odd. I'd  seen it every night for  more than a month but that time was the first and only opportunity. One shot one kill.

They can become quite stressful those clever blighters!

Going again after work and not particularly looking forward to it, you know, when you start doubting yourself!

U.

Monday afternoon she was hunting poults but went away from me, I panicked and lobbed a long 22 shot at her only to miss a broadside.

I repeated the shot later and the round was there!

Yesterday I got the wind on my face slowly creeping done the woodside only to have her in front mousing. I moved closer when I could only to then have her coming towards me.

At 40 yds I grunt to stop her. The sights settle and the trigger breaks only to have her turn and run just missing the bullet!

I don't know why I stopped her, I didn't need to do it !!!

Ahhhrrrr....

The problem with letting them keep coming in too close is that at some stage they WILL SENSE YOU and suddenly break away at high speed. You don't know what they are going to do. I've seen them stop or turn in their own length and bolt off. or even come straight at you. We had one that came in so fast that it had three rifle shots go over the top and behind, and it went straight under the Hilux, did a right turn and headed off to the nearest hedge at full chat with a following shot in hope more than expectation. The shooter was called all the C's under the sun. And had the P,s taken out of them for months.  Good fun.