• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out for a forage to day, the first Cep of the year and a few more Boletes some Field Mushrooms, a few Chanterelles. A Blackening Polypore (not that good to eat). First Cep   Black

Arry in his early days, picked the wrong mushroom 

They look great ?.. I always bail out of eating wild ones in case I'm wrong and they're poisonous ? ... This year I've got braver I try them twenty mins after the Mrs does ?

Posted Images

2 hours ago, steve66 said:

never heard of that before , interesting , cheers Arry 

Steve its mainly woodland mushrooms that grow in the leaf litter like the "Hedgehog mushrooms" and "Chanterelles" that need a brush off.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
2 hours ago, steve66 said:

Just had a walk out seen the usual suspects , beefsteak fungus ,birch  polypore and what I think was chanterelles, but looked past there best 

IMG_0026.JPG

Not sure what them red things are but look up"BirchKnight Cap" see if that fit the bill, its a do NOT eat if it is. May fit as you have found "Birch Polypore" which they recon is edible but its bitter, I tried soaking in salt water and a also milk but was sill bitter not so bitter but still not good. The "Birch Polypore" is very interesting though as I said in a earlier post its  anti cancer, anti septic. You can even cut strip a piece of skin off which can be used as Elastoplast (Think the underside, but can't really remember), you can wrap it around a cut finger and it will stick to itself, so iv'e read. "Beef Steak" I found bitter as well even after soaking in milk, must try again as it says soak then grill, not tried that yet. There were a lot of them a few weeks back. If you have any fir plantations around have a look out for "Hedgehog mushrooms" and about now "Winter Chanterelles" if you find the later, then there may be hundreds or thousands of them. They are brown with yellow stems there nick name is yellow legs and they MUST have yellow stems.

Not my photo.

09_27_49.jpg

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 1

Easy get caught out by these, I know GL posted pictures of one but thought I would post this. The wife rang just after she left for work saying theres some mushrooms growing in a old ladies garden that I do her shopping for.

They look like some really nice mushrooms growing by her drive, growing in a bit of a strange spot for ordinary mushrooms.

P1200460.jpg.5db9cd9615c2534d22d665f06117ad2b.jpg

Thought nice feed here.

P1200463.jpg.318953c14a337ac4a7144fa7c0a5784f.jpg

I was a bit suspicious had a closer investigation.

P1200469.jpg.981350571fa18af29bbe453c36b6be07.jpg

P1200476.jpg.bbbfc2728aebbadae58f593ce2580c01.jpg

P1200470.jpg.df80cff04f29be6a1371264352d60844.jpg

Just as well as I did "Yellow Stainer" poisonous and easily mistaken for "Field Mushroom" or "Horse Mushroom". Buy the way in about five minutes most of the yellow fades. About 50% of all mushroom poisonings in the uk are from this mushroom.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Safest way mate. Hints of yellow on the stalk and cap by the looks, cut or bruise the edge of the cap, cut base of the stalk as GL did in First Mushroom thread. Nice bit of mixed wood land you seem to have there should throw up some good stuff.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

Good to see a few heading for the pan again . Must add I only found out this season that shaggy ink caps should not be consumed whit wine / alcohol as a reaction will occur , now I’ve eaten them many times over the years mainly at midday so havnt drunk beer wine with them app the reaction is not good for you so I guess I been very lucky ? 

23918EE8-DC55-435F-A13B-B91BF110576C.jpeg

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 2
On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 07:31, Arry said:

Safest way mate. Hints of yellow on the stalk and cap by the looks, cut or bruise the edge of the cap, cut base of the stalk as GL did in First Mushroom thread. Nice bit of mixed wood land you seem to have there should throw up some good stuff.

Cheers Arry

Picked one up  Arry to have alook , and after a bit it started to show some yellow ,to be honest without your post I would have probably thought it was safe  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, steve66 said:

Picked one up  Arry to have alook , and after a bit it started to show some yellow ,to be honest without your post I would have probably thought it was safe  

Years back there never seemed many around but the odd one got picked and on occasion we’ve eaten them , nowadays seems more stainers so when picking I check each one before eating 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, green lurchers said:

Good to see a few heading for the pan again . Must add I only found out this season that shaggy ink caps should not be consumed whit wine / alcohol as a reaction will occur , now I’ve eaten them many times over the years mainly at midday so havnt drunk beer wine with them app the reaction is not good for you so I guess I been very lucky ? 

23918EE8-DC55-435F-A13B-B91BF110576C.jpeg

Im sure I read somewhere that they have been used to treat alcoholism in some countries 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, green lurchers said:

Years back there never seemed many around but the odd one got picked and on occasion we’ve eaten them , nowadays seems more stainers so when picking I check each one before eating 

Found more this year than I've ever found before. Somebody up the road I know got given a load of mushrooms by a woman he knows, he was bad for a week, recon it was one of them. They don't affect everybody apparently, not giving it a go to find out though.

Them "Shaggy Ink Caps" look spot on condition GL still haven't seen any down here.

We will be after the "Hedgehog Mushrooms" and the "Winter Chanterelles" now, having a job fitting it in with ferreting at the moment.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2