Whats your approach to Poachers

Tbh there's no places to use an air rifle an the only game you want with them is wood pigeon rabbits  and greys but  nowhere to go so people resort to straying onto other people's land wrong yes but as long as its the wild animals and not peoples phesants is there any harm? Approach a try and speak they could be out doing worse things. It's always good when some one try woodpigeon and it blows their mind. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know , the local dog lads who if I were not on good terms with would no doubt be all over my patch like a rash . But I’ve got them on board. They help me clear out my pens prior to release. We also

If they are serious and well-schooled freelancers,..you are most unlikely to ever encounter them...?

Nowadays, there is no profit in taking the game, birds, deer, etc... Back in the day,  I hunted for the gold doubloons, the concept of sport, did not come into the equation. Of course, it wa

Posted Images

On 13/08/2018 at 18:59, KES2 said:

I note your avatar is kes - some similarities then. 

I have been a gamekeeper for a DIY shoot and had dogmen coursing, poachers taking roosting birds and falconers just walking the fields like they own them. All these activities frighten birds and ruin shooting seasons people pay good money for and work hard to achieve.  I have my own fields now and can do what I want - I also have permissions for foxes, deer etc. 

I cannot accept poaching because its someone else's land - I have worked all my life to get mine and will not tolerate poaching - target or not. I dont know about you but when someone says I shouldnt do something on my own land its a red rag. I now have night vision, trail cameras and good visibility - no-one but no-one walks my land without permission, I have sheep and will not tolerate dogs.

They aren't making land anymore and with an acre costing 10K would you let anyone on yours? For the price of a second hand car anyone can buy some woodland - maybe as part of a group. So no reason to poach

I have no sympathy with poachers they despoil, damage, steal, -  its not even romantic any more -it needs to be eradicated.

Falconry is a difficult nut to crack because it has so many grandfather rights and so much protection. All the falcons commonly used in falconry are classed as both captive and wild falcons and killing them is in direct conflict with the 1982 countryside and wildlife act, if they are killed it is a criminal offence not civil and the case is treated as if a wild falcon has been shot. On top of that they have protection as a captive entity with female peregrine falcons now worth around £3000.00 if anything happens to them such as the incident with the shoot last year that shot someones falcon that had drifted a mile or so downwind. They were successfully sued for not only the falcons initial worth but also any youngsters that she may have had as part of a breeding project which financially fell to the landowner to pay as the landlord of the shoot and the shoot was discontinued. Now that they carry a Marshall GPS tracker the falconer has a live, recorded data stream as to where and what is happening with the falcon which makes very compelling evidence in court. Falconry being 'the sport of kings' has a lot of ancient rights that are still in use today such as the fact that falconers can fly from their permission and reclaim the falcon from any ground it may end up on which opens the situation up to abuse. They can also fly on any of the traditional feudal estates such as Sherwood, Salisbury Plain etc which now that they've been broken up, sold and potentially shot over etc brings a lot of conflict but most falconers do hold or lease their own land just as shooters do. 

• 1 month later...

As im on both sides of the fence ?yes it never leaves you and  it always tastes sweeter if its from somewhere you shunna be ? Some of what iv seen on here is well amuseing ? Lol  iv never met keeper yet who aint poached ? And  i.bet they never entice the shoot next doors birds on to theres either     ? ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1