I’ve seen and used the ATN Mars thermal scope and I’ve got an ATN thermal spotter. They are very good I’ve also seen and used Pulsar . The best advice is to try before you buy . I know some dealers will do this . I bought my spotter secondhand off a guy who didn’t use it much and needed the money. I can tell you that Pulsar are well advertised and seem to be dominating the market . ATN aren’t talked about as much , but I can tell you that the ones I’ve seen perform very well . I can spot and identify at 500 - 700 meters. I can see rabbits in detail at 200 meters . It does everything I want . You won’t be disappointed with ATN.

I think that you would be satisfied with ATN. I've bought my ATN X-SIGHT 4K PRO 3-14X three months ago there https://www.atncorp.com/smart-hd-optics. And it's unbelievable! It has really sensitive HD sensor and it's day/night scope. I like foxhunting and this tool gave me advantages in nighthunting. I record full HD video to save good memories about hunting moments. If you have more questions, please write me.

• 2 weeks later...

I’d avoid the x sight 2.

poor quality over priced unit. I’d say the photon has much better image clarity.

Tbh I’m surprised they’ve even started selling them with so many flaws and general poor quality. Lag is immense and hard to tell a rabbit from a mole hill at 100 yards.

Just my experience comparing to wardy, drone, drone pro, photon, pulsar. 

Others may disagree.......

Agree ATN are junk as night vision units, great in daytime due to the HD sensor offering 1080p or 4k image, the downside of that fan dangled daytime resolution is the pixels are tiny, which it turn means they do not gather much light, and are laggy, unlike the lower resolution bigger pixel Pulsar units which gather loads of light and are dedicated purely for night vision use ...

Its all about your needs, budget and distance you want to shoot.

Consider a rear mounted option also so you can use your standard day scope, wind magnification up as required, know your reticule drop points, etc and swap between multiple rifles, leaving you with a genuine day and night setup..

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/07/2018 at 05:27, Nick Malroy said:

I think that you would be satisfied with ATN. I've bought my ATN X-SIGHT 4K PRO 3-14X three months ago there https://www.atncorp.com/smart-hd-optics. And it's unbelievable! It has really sensitive HD sensor and it's day/night scope. I like foxhunting and this tool gave me advantages in nighthunting. I record full HD video to save good memories about hunting moments. If you have more questions, please write me.

Hi nick, what is the 3-14 like at nighttime as I'm pondering with the idea of getting one to use on my sub 12 airrifle for rabbits... Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

I have only looked through them at shows but to be totally honest, I was blown away a couple of weeks ago when I was looking through a Pulsar 355, amazing image quality and far better than the ATN - X 11

Just my opinion on first viewing.

Phil

2 completely different products tbh.

4k sensors generally give sharper vision in daylight whilst not being too sensitive at night. I have an interest in CCTV, and atm there isn't a 4K sensor I've come across at a sensible price that can come even close to matching to a 2K sensor at night. Potentially a lower resolution SD sensor with even larger pixels would out perform at 2K at night. It looks as if ATN may have used an old trick here and that is to group pixels together to provide higher sensitivity which could explain why video output is HD not 4K. It's a good trick btw but doesn't usually beat the performance of a large physical sensor designed for night use in low light.

Pulsar on the other hand are using a low resolution SD sensor (752x582 for the 355 model) with large pixels. Large pixels will gather more light at night and this aids night vision. The downside, day and night is the lower resolution, and I as a result I expect the daytime image / any recordings will be far lower quality in terms of sharpness and resolution than any from the ATN.

I haven't seen or used either so can't comment on actual performance, but my expectations would be the Pulsar could offer superior night performance but at the expense of quality (in terms of resolution and sharpness) of picture in the day . The ATN could be far superior in picture quality in daylight, but could be outperformed in low light conditions. It could be darker and more noisy. A powerful IR lamp might aide the ATN see further / brighter. At the end of the day, it's probably going to be horses for courses and whether you're using the scope as a scope or video recorder, and where your priorities lie ie maximum night vision or maximum all round resolution of image.

Edited by Alsone