Scotland world cup 78

Watching it now on bbc1.  What an over hyped shambles. God Scotland and all of the people looked so rough and poor. The footage looks like back in the 1930s. One fan sold his butcher's shop to go to Argentina !  £2000 !! They 100% thought that they were world class and going to come home with the world cup. When a journalist asked him "What do you plan to do after the World Cup?" MacLeod replied: "Retain it."

What a disorganised shambles. They didn't even go to see how's the opposition played. They just thought that they would go and beat everyone

Edited by Meece

Funny in 2018 when i happen to switch on to that c**t Jeremy kyle i get the same perception of english folk.  

Also bit ironic with that statement when you listen to the pundits during an English game.  

And im prob one of the few scots who want the England team to do well but by f**k its hard to ignore the pish spouted. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

It's just finnished and the only good thing was that one of the fans meet a young girl out there and 7 years later She came over and they got  married and had two boys. She was quite a looker. Scotland were too small, over hyped up. Doomed to failure. There was no organisation or planning. The hotel, food, transport, training were total rubbish. it was just like they'd been down the pub,  had a fag and a blow out and then thought that they'd just  turn up and win. Crazy. And our so called pundits do come out with a load of bollos. Ok, we won but it was lucky.  Second half was same ole, same ole. Passing sideways and backwards. When we come up against some serious opposition it may well be a different story ending. 

56 minutes ago, pesky1972 said:

When you look at some of the  players Scotland had at that time they should have done better.

How did England get on in ‘78?

As good as they did in 74 ?

I didn't start this thread to have it descend into the usual Scotland v England punch up as these things usually do. It was the General set up of how things are over hyped up by those at the top for their own purposes. Back in 78 it was hyped up that scotland was world class and the players  and the general public believed it. So much so that people sold their everything to follow. England has been the same. Every four years we go through this pantomime whereby my neighbour puts out his England flags on his car and on a pole in the garden. Is this not the same thing as the first world war or Scottish Independence or brexit. Are those at the top drawing us on to serve their own egos and purposes. Why should scotland want independence or why does England want to win the world  cup even if we did win it (highly unlikely) how would that change anything.  The national dept  would still be the same, the sun would still rise and we'd stil moan about whatever. When you looked at the conditions and the people in scotland back in 78, it was a shithole. This is not to say that that places in England, Wales and northern Ireland were a lot different  Back then. It was the not perceived as it was. Who does it serve that Scotland's people are being led on to believe that they are an independent nation and can go it alone. Surely that is no difference to east Anglia declaring that they should have nation status or Cornwall and that they should be special. Me I'm going to get a cup of tea.

1 hour ago, Meece said:

I didn't start this thread to have it descend into the usual Scotland v England punch up as these things usually do. It was the General set up of how things are over hyped up by those at the top for their own purposes. Back in 78 it was hyped up that scotland was world class and the players  and the general public believed it. So much so that people sold their everything to follow. England has been the same. Every four years we go through this pantomime whereby my neighbour puts out his England flags on his car and on a pole in the garden. Is this not the same thing as the first world war or Scottish Independence or brexit. Are those at the top drawing us on to serve their own egos and purposes. Why should scotland want independence or why does England want to win the world  cup even if we did win it (highly unlikely) how would that change anything.  The national dept  would still be the same, the sun would still rise and we'd stil moan about whatever. When you looked at the conditions and the people in scotland back in 78, it was a shithole. This is not to say that that places in England, Wales and northern Ireland were a lot different  Back then. It was the not perceived as it was. Who does it serve that Scotland's people are being led on to believe that they are an independent nation and can go it alone. Surely that is no difference to east Anglia declaring that they should have nation status or Cornwall and that they should be special. Me I'm going to get a cup of tea.

You don't half dig a hole for yourself then chief if your sentiments are not to cause offence....looking back at 1978 around the UK 80-90% would have been roughly the same esp in the inner cities.Scotland and its people have a democratic right to have a referendum for its independence any time it wishes irrelevant if you are for it or against it...and it has that right cause its a equal country in its own right in the uk union no more no less than England...not a part of a country like feking east Anglia or feking cornwell ffs!

Edited by gaz
  • Like 1