Dogs dinners

4 hours ago, PJCaswell said:

Dogs eat carrion, but they also sniff each other’s arses, roll in fox cr*p, drink from rancid puddles and clean themselves using their tongue. Raw meat is the least of our worries. Saying that dogs are not wolves. They are fine on a raw diet but it’s worth remember that dogs and humans have co evolved to eat the same stuff.

That's wrong a dogs digestive system differs from a wild wolf by about 1 %. Dogs are carnivores we are omnivores big difference in what our diets should be. And I don't see how your bit on dogs sniffing ass n rolling in shit has to do with anything

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

bate dat...lol

2/3days worth feeds 5 terriers and a lurcher, around £8/10,got a guy sorts out 12kg of fresh chicken backs £2.50, anything edible from side of road and nights lamping goes in dog freezer, bag of biscu

Posted Images

I know this stresses some people out but dogs can digest starch. Wolves can't. This small genetic adaptation enabled dogs to eat the same food as humans.  So by any definition dogs are omnivores. Dogs can eat a meat based diet or a meat and carbohydrate diet. Basically dogs ate our scraps for 15000 years and have thrived.  

I am not having a go at anyone's choice of dog food, especially the people on here. I just wanted to point out that worrying about bacterial cross infection from dogs eating a raw diet is nonsense, because as you say and dog worth its salt will tuck into a rotting seagull, dead rat or rancid mole at the drop of hat. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, steve t said:

No Leitrim mate but I remember in the early 90s loads of hippy types couldn't hack it here and headed down that way, presumed a few stayed ?

hundreds stayed ...cool mountain here is still holding a lot ..most are easy going and enjoy the free  life style of evading work and pressures of modern life ,,and the best of luck to them 

• Like 1

i saw the sea eagle last summer when i was painting a farm house there..was a sight ,gliding along and amazing to see..hares i can never come across,ive seen the odd sika but theres a fallow big boy there,,man hes huge ..head gear on him that would look good on any wall..since i started a few others have appeared to be hunting there ,a few of the landowners are not happy with other folk walking about there,,a few others couldnt give a flick if half of the city turned up ,lol..the problem with me is im 50 miles away from there so i cant just drop out there on a whim...and work is really getting in the way of my adventures ,,,so im going to have to change that somewhat

• Like 1
20 hours ago, PJCaswell said:

I know this stresses some people out but dogs can digest starch. Wolves can't. This small genetic adaptation enabled dogs to eat the same food as humans.  So by any definition dogs are omnivores. Dogs can eat a meat based diet or a meat and carbohydrate diet. Basically dogs ate our scraps for 15000 years and have thrived.  

I am not having a go at anyone's choice of dog food, especially the people on here. I just wanted to point out that worrying about bacterial cross infection from dogs eating a raw diet is nonsense, because as you say and dog worth its salt will tuck into a rotting seagull, dead rat or rancid mole at the drop of hat. 

Yes and if that dog licked your babies mouth then there's a greater risk of your young one catching something, how is that rubbish?

1 hour ago, Kerny92 said:

Yes and if that dog licked your babies mouth then there's a greater risk of your young one catching something, how is that rubbish?

We are agreeing, I think.

My point is dogs eat rancid stuff all the time, so worrying about the danger of feeding dogs a raw diet is nonsense.

The evidence shows children that are brought up with dogs are way healthier because of the occasional illness they suffer as a result of sharing gut flora with their pets gives them a more health immune system. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Black neck said:

I eat carrion

Carrion an beans you can’t beat it people who do jacket spud an beans don’t know what there missing nothing better than Picking carrion from out your teeth 

22 hours ago, jigsaw said:

i saw the sea eagle last summer when i was painting a farm house there..was a sight ,gliding along and amazing to see..hares i can never come across,ive seen the odd sika but theres a fallow big boy there,,man hes huge ..head gear on him that would look good on any wall..since i started a few others have appeared to be hunting there ,a few of the landowners are not happy with other folk walking about there,,a few others couldnt give a flick if half of the city turned up ,lol..the problem with me is im 50 miles away from there so i cant just drop out there on a whim...and work is really getting in the way of my adventures ,,,so im going to have to change that somewhat

I was out daybreak this morning in the cool of the morning. I walked up a place about half a mile south of where the big herds of goat are. I saw 5 hares, all on forestry roads and managed to stop the hounds following into the blocks. I then crossed a high and open piece of ground with bog, sedge, and drainage cuts, and although I saw no hares in the open my daughters whippet started hunting several lines.(Ironically, he's the best nose dog of the 4 I had with me). I reckon you'd get a run on most open spaces next to forestry in this general area if you get in place before it's light and work upwind from the trees out through the sedge and bog.? I was working downwind as I didn't want to run anything but only to assess what was there. If they know you're coming they move off long before you get there.

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Maximus Ferret said:

I was out daybreak this morning in the cool of the morning. I walked up a place about half a mile south of where the big herds of goat are. I saw 5 hares, all on forestry roads and managed to stop the hounds following into the blocks. I then crossed a high and open piece of ground with bog, sedge, and drainage cuts, and although I saw no hares in the open my daughters whippet started hunting several lines.(Ironically, he's the best nose dog of the 4 I had with me). I reckon you'd get a run on most open spaces next to forestry in this general area if you get in place before it's light and work upwind from the trees out through the sedge and bog.? I was working downwind as I didn't want to run anything but only to assess what was there. If they know you're coming they move off long before you get there.

left for work at 6.30....stunning day and not fit for working in ..but ye gotta do what ye gotta do...theres a few knocking about for sure but ive not come on them at all much..to get there for dawn breaking i wouldnt be able to got to bed at all lol...

1 minute ago, jigsaw said:

left for work at 6.30....stunning day and not fit for working in ..but ye gotta do what ye gotta do...theres a few knocking about for sure but ive not come on them at all much..to get there for dawn breaking i wouldnt be able to got to bed at all lol...

Know what you mean:D I do 2 part time jobs and ATM I am on 2 weeks holiday from one of them. When the alarm goes at 3.00 I still have trouble getting out of bed but  if you want it enough you have to do it. Having said that I only manage it half the time but by the start of the season i'll know what's where and when. I'd say your kelpie/grey could be very useful to you if you let her work on ahead over your ground sometimes.Let her show you where they are.