No Warrant? No Worries!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But that's my point Bf, in the past until you became a person of interest physical surveillance was not required.  Now they have data surveillance by way of data collection going on in the background

Personally, I couldn't give a monkeys - if a few naughty texts between me and the missus, some xhamster searches and, googling about washing and lubing pellets gives them their jollys, crack on

There is no due process involved with these powers. If you have 'unwanted' contact with the police, for any reason, they can access your private information, without having to show a probable cause fo

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

True dat innit! :laugh:

Interestingly, or maybe not reading the responses, this overreach is covered by the 4th amendment. Clever men those rebels.

The founding fathers are often a point of reference for me. Wisdom that is as relevant today as it was over 200 years ago!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ChrisJones said:

Bit of a pickle isn't it. A good libertarian will fix that! :thumbs:

So, should I vote Tory or Labour ?  On the other hand, Liberal Democrat sounds a bit like "libertarian", doesn't it ? ;)

And since the police have promised not to abuse their powers, I'm sure it will all be tickety-boo................

(But I'm still not looking up !)

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, walshie said:

What exactly do people keep on their phones that would be a worry? Anyone reading mine would just feel sorry for me that I lead such a boring life. 

Taking the fundamental right to privacy out of the equation an increasing number of people use their phones as a one-stop storage device for all of their personal information. As daft as that sounds millions of people are at risk from that. The police need a search warrant to raid a house or place of business. They don't need one to download the entire contents of a smartphone which can contain everything from personal to banking information. With the reliance on these devices, they contain a shit tonne of information that is personal and should remain so and shouldn't be shared with a 3rd party based on a simple want to access it. If the police turned up at your house and asked to look around you'd tell them to f*ck off unless they had a warrant. This is no different and as mentioned in the article this is happening to people without their consent and even their knowledge in many cases.

Obviously, this isn't going to affect everyone but just because the individual may not be worried about such scrutiny the right to privacy is inalienable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, walshie said:

What exactly do people keep on their phones that would be a worry? Anyone reading mine would just feel sorry for me that I lead such a boring life. 

There is no due process involved with these powers. If you have 'unwanted' contact with the police, for any reason, they can access your private information, without having to show a probable cause for doing so. As I see it, if you're arrested for something as innocuous as drunk and disorderly (for instance) every aspect of your digital footprint becomes fair game, even though it probably has nothing to do with the arrestable offence.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

Taking the fundamental right to privacy out of the equation an increasing number of people use their phones as a one-stop storage device for all of their personal information. As daft as that sounds millions of people are at risk from that. The police need a search warrant to raid a house or place of business. They don't need one to download the entire contents of a smartphone which can contain everything from personal to banking information. With the reliance on these devices, they contain a shit tonne of information that is personal and should remain so and shouldn't be shared with a 3rd party based on a simple want to access it. If the police turned up at your house and asked to look around you'd tell them to f*ck off unless they had a warrant. This is no different and as mentioned in the article this is happening to people without their consent and even their knowledge in many cases.

Obviously, this isn't going to affect everyone but just because the individual may not be worried about such scrutiny the right to privacy is inalienable.

Over there, maybe..........over here, most definitely not !

• Like 1

Also, once you have had your data accessed, what happens to the information and what might it be used for ?

If I were arrested for a very minor offence, and my phone checked, what would happen if my search history shows that I'd visited "Stormfront", "Infowars" for instance ?

(Bearing in mind that a man was recently convicted, for teaching his dog to raise it's paw............? )

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Blackbriar said:

Also, once you have had your data accessed, what happens to the information and what might it be used for ?.

If I were arrested for a very minor offence, and my phone checked, what would happen if my search history shows that I'd visited "Stormfront", "Infowars" for instance ?.

(Bearing in mind that a man was recently convicted, for teaching his dog to raise it's paw............? )

That's the €64,000 question, isn't it? If your phone contains information that the sitting government deems improper will that information be filed for further review? Will simply accessing it put you on a particular watch list? If you take a picture of someone committing a crime will they be able to look through your banking information to see whether you've paid the correct amount of duty on your annual finances?

We're in danger of taking this to the extreme but the point of the matter is that you have an inalienable right to privacy. You have an inalienable right to free speech and that exists whether the law respects it or not. Giving up that information voluntarily is daft, IMHO, but to have it stolen by the law is morally reprehensible.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

That's the €64,000 question, isn't it? If your phone contains information that the sitting government deems improper will that information be filed for further review? Will simply accessing it put you on a particular watch list? If you take a picture of someone committing a crime will they be able to look through your banking information to see whether you've paid the correct amount of duty on your annual finances?

We're in danger of taking this to the extreme but the point of the matter is that you have an inalienable right to privacy. You have an inalienable right to free speech and that exists whether the law respects it or not. Giving up that information voluntarily is daft, IMHO, but to have it stolen by the law is morally reprehensible.

Not really - there's always the Law of Unintended Consequences !

A bit further down the line, a situation arises where  'they' realise..........."Oh, we could use that law we brought in ! You know, the one that was meant to keep the popular safer !"

:yes: