Borzoi for hunting ?

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with working with borzois (Russian Wolfhound) I really this dog in fact would say overall my favourite breed. I know there used in Russia for killing wolfs and deer even hares. Was thinking of getting one as a pet but also to do some rabbiting, although there not the ideal breed for that more of a big game hunter but still very fast (supposedly 4th fasted breed in the world). So dose anyone know of borzois being used for rabbits and how effective are they at rabbiting both day and night. 

Funnly enough, I was watching some you tube vids the other night with borzois coursing hares.  I've never seen one off the lead in real life, and I was pleasantly surprised with the speed, stamina and agility they showed. Wouldn't say they'd be ideal for rabbits though

• Like 1
4 hours ago, shaaark said:

Funnly enough, I was watching some you tube vids the other night with borzois coursing hares.  I've never seen one off the lead in real life, and I was pleasantly surprised with the speed, stamina and agility they showed. Wouldn't say they'd be ideal for rabbits though

I’ve done some more looking and yeah a pure bred will get rabbits but not with the regularity of a purpose bred lurcher how ever I think a few rabbits now and then is a fair trade off given there ability with other larger types of game and given the other attributes of the breed such as their  guard dog ability’s. All in all I’d say I still like the breed a lot and they seem a pretty good all round dog to have. 

47 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Thats a lot a shite to pick up an food to feed for a dog that’s gonna struggle to catch all but the daftest a rabbits out in the biggest a fields,  if you honestly think a borzoi will catch enough rabbits to keep you happy your either Green as grass or very easily pleased, it will add to disappointment an you’ll end up with a lurcher if hunting is in your blood an a horse of a pet if not

Obviously never seen a good 1 

9 hours ago, Hendagger said:

I’ve done some more looking and yeah a pure bred will get rabbits but not with the regularity of a purpose bred lurcher how ever I think a few rabbits now and then is a fair trade off given there ability with other larger types of game and given the other attributes of the breed such as their  guard dog ability’s. All in all I’d say I still like the breed a lot and they seem a pretty good all round dog to have. 

Then get one, bring it on and keep the coarsing lads on here updated with it's achievements. It may well catch an occasional rabbit or two.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Borzoi as a guard dog? I seen a few saluki grey types bark when a stranger comes to the house but never thought of them as guard dogs?

Guard dog was the wrong wording on my behalf all I meant was there a bit of a larger dog than others and I had  heard a story that a borzoi that bit and broke a  burglars arm. However guard dog was the wrong phrase to use. 

1 minute ago, Hendagger said:

Guard dog was the wrong wording on my behalf all I meant was there a bit of a larger dog than others and I had  heard a story that a borzoi that bit and broke a  burglars arm. However guard dog was the wrong phrase to use. 

Should have said liability 

• Haha 1