Pure Greyhound

10 hours ago, PJCaswell said:

Pure greyhounds are amazing but very different dogs to x greyhounds. Unlike whippets, salukis, deerhounds or lurchers they are proper athletes and need to be respected as proper athletes. Raising a greyhound as a lurcher means simply putting the right dog in wrong situations. However raising a lurcher with a lot of greyhound in it without understanding the greyhound bit of the mix is I think one of the major reasons why so many young dogs are discarded. 

Whippets are the best of all sight hounds in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jerry71 said:

Whippets are the best of all sight hounds in my opinion. 

i like whippets i had none ped little bitch  20in 20lb, great raicer  and good on rabbits, some of the males went up to  23in 32lb tough little dogs have go at most things lol ,  if was after a whippet i have one of these or one with just bit more grey in them . Greyhounds  are nice dogs good with people , and ok with dogs if they ok with them, they no doubt about it  a greyhound  can bloody fight and do damage quick. i worked at racing kennels  for 6 months  , and even though all the dogs knew each  other , you could never loose them out together , only the dog and bitch that were  together. i thought when i 1st went there that be ok with each other  ,  you only could only take out 4 dogs that would get on , there were 3 of us walking  4 dogs , but we all had  keep well away from each other, or they really have go at each other . when the boss there rehomed the dogs not racing no more , he used tell the new owners give them lot of time to adjust , and never underestimate  a greyhound , they make Brill pets love people  but always remember  what you got on that lead .    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know someone bring one on now, a very well respected dog man too, he's ran them for over 30 years, I asked him the question about hardiness and he said an injury that will put your average lurcher out for 2 weeks will put a greyhound out for 4 weeks other than that as long as your sensible with your slips they cope fine

• Like 3

ive ran greyhounds both on the lamp and daytime. i also brought on a pup.  the two track bitches both retired .injured. and most of the time before that they where. injured. in between the injuries they both where natural on fox. they regularly overshot on rabbits or lost there footing. they both ran into objects that was suicidal. like tree's  fences other dogs etc.  on big open parks they put a good show on a hare. but after that you had to just about carry them home as they have little stamina. 

the pup was trained to jump. was given basic obedience and allowed to run . there are three things  that stick in my mind. he was black and white. went back to a dog called crazy parachute. and lastly the feeling in my stomach when he hit a single strand fence at pace.

if greyhounds where any use. no one would need to breed hardy hunting lurchers.  

anyone thinking about one. do a pro,s and ' cons. first. .. 

• Like 1

My mate at work not a hunter took his new birds dog's for a walk she told him let the lurcher off but keep the grey on lead the grey was a dopey old door stop never pulled on the lead or botherd about owt he felt sorry for him and let him off never left his side until it's ears suddenly went up and off it went 400 yards away a little Scotty dog was enjoying his walk it didn't end well 

I've taken on several ex race dogs for rabbit work but due I think to age only one turned out any good.I remember watching her not long after I started her unable to work out how to follow the rest of the dogs  down a bank  on a hot day to get a cool drink in a stream.She just didn't have any idea at the time ,but within 12 months she was going very well ,surprisingly she had plenty of hunt but it did take a long time to build up her stamina to a good level.She went onto be a great catcher ,who had enough brains not to get hurt very often.I bred her to a very good working whippet & those pups were also great rabbiting dogs .  

• Like 2