How to improve recovery?

1 hour ago, sandymere said:

In answer to your previous query at the mo I’m running a coursing type  

IMG_20171231_083642.thumb.jpg.08bc321ba5555d4bd1389d87a5e3118f.jpg

but I do have a little experience of whippets and their hybrids as well as greyhounds and have run both in conjunction,  in truth I wouldn’t particularly want either as working dogs. Pure greys are just too much of a racing machine and whippets don’t have the size for the lamping that I do and alas it would be much the same for my day time stuff. A hybrid betwixt the two would be nearer the mark but with this breeding it’s a gamble on the stamina side, a high percentage lack stamina for longer stuff, and I’ve had enough of gambles of late losing a ¾ whippet with too much heart and not enough stamina recently.

5ab3cff6262b8_merlin.jpg1.jpg.67c1044f04b558b980c6852cc25507e6.jpg

Prior to this spent many a time with a few of my brothers dogs, pure whippets, and had good fun with them chasing long ears over the years but unless the law was much reduced they weren’t really reliable catchers, as ever its horses for courses.  Indeed  my first ever lurcher, 50 years ago, was a 1st cross whippet X collie,  lovely bitch taught me more than I knew and forgave my many mistakes but alas to slow to catch a cold, straight lined by rabbits… since then two of my favorite lurchers  have had a 1/4 whippet and both were decent dogs but had no more stamina than others without the whippet.

lady.jpg.0e587a97fa0a5396a07a6a98433cf4bb.jpgmegan.jpg.c79d80018ca8b8efa9203b768d0d96d3.jpg5ab3d0c259486_samandgunner.jpg.135e8b6d0dfe59cf047c0639a2ddb2c5.jpg

I’d agree that many whippets do punch well above their weight but in reality doing this day in day out is not a realistic choice so I’d stick to my ¼ whippet in a mix being enough, bringing the size/body mass  down can aid recover but then again so can breeding for a lighter built larger dog.

As for science waffle I’m always open to learning, 30 years ago I thought myself very knowledgeable about running dogs but have since learned that there’s always room for improvement and something new to learn. Better to be ready to learn more than it is to know it all.

Regards hartly.

Lot to be said for a dash of whippet 20171102_111537.thumb.jpg.f586e729e0d688901b7be58c4401be0c.jpg

20170214_153434.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not just the weight difference, though that does play a part. A heavily-muscled lump of a dog with a lot of Greyhound in it generates a lot more heat when it runs, and must take correspondingly l

some interesting theories, whippets always had more stamina than grey hounds that's a fact, where I grew up there  was loads of whippet raceing, and if you wanted more pace in your lurchers that's wha

He’s. bred bigland boy   non ped racer  x staff back to bigland lad   Son of bigland boy , 3/4 non ped 1/4 staff    Very fast dog only young ?

Posted Images

Nice pics sandy  thanks fa sharing ,like you I believe no one man woman will ever need to know it all I believe that ain't possible ,what I do believe with each and every jukel Irrilevant of xs ,we learn ,they are all individuals , what I also believe his this we get the experience to realise a type to suit individual requirements and go with that ,even though they individuals we need to approach with different methods the ability of gas by the handler can and does usually define the outcome .its the same had the man with a non grader whippet ,but can kill forty rabbits under the beam ,or the coursing dog with only two minutes in the tank that can kill sixty rabbits under he beam , experience can his only gig from hands on and being round a variety of types and even then they not only surprise but at times confound you ,that livestock .atb bill

• Like 3