high strung pup

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never have or ever would show any pup anything in a cage nor would I show one a hole end after a dig what they suppose to learn from  any of that and I'm not fine with either and just read up on bai

If that's how most Americans work their terriers by letting them work loose and find holes for themselves then fair play to them. It's exactly how I like to do it myself. IMO it tests a terriers nose

It's called sarcasm, don't worry it'll reach your side of the pond one day 

7 minutes ago, Jambalaya said:

Do you guys realize just how much this retarded..

Let a pup bay at a rat in a cage you're fine.

Show them a coon in a cage and you're baiting..

Idiots..

The dog never made contact with the coon so just how is that baiting?

I know you's have different laws over there than we do this side of the Atlantic. And then of course different laws between Eire, the UK and the continent. But an animal in a cage is a captive animal and to put it under stress is illegal on this side.

I've seen rolly cages in American magazines for hounds and couldn't believe my eyes when I seen a massive one with a Black Bear in it being bayed by hounds, and the Bear didn't looked bothered, probably used to it. If that's how ye do it ,fair play.

But in your opinion do you think a terrier could learn anything from meeting something in a cage as a pup. IMO it's something I can see that has advantages and disadvantages too.

18 minutes ago, neil cooney said:

I know you's have different laws over there than we do this side of the Atlantic. And then of course different laws between Eire, the UK and the continent. But an animal in a cage is a captive animal and to put it under stress is illegal on this side.

I've seen rolly cages in American magazines for hounds and couldn't believe my eyes when I seen a massive one with a Black Bear in it being bayed by hounds, and the Bear didn't looked bothered, probably used to it. If that's how ye do it ,fair play.

But in your opinion do you think a terrier could learn anything from meeting something in a cage as a pup. IMO it's something I can see that has advantages and disadvantages too.

I think there’s about a small many opinions on this as you could imagine. Some guys think it’s great to see if the pup isn’t ready to try hunting, some don’t like it because the wire is hard on the dogs teeth, some think it makes a dog “harder” than it should be, some think it’s better to start them on rats, move to opossum, then coon no cage, some think you wait til they’re 6+ months and take them with a more experienced dog. 

From purely a training stand point what’s right? Whatever works for you. 

Im curious as to how you guys who send them to fox/badger (where it’s legal to do so or before the ban) start your dogs? Not to argue what’s right or wrong or better but just out of curiosity 

47 minutes ago, Jambalaya said:

Idiots..

I never have or ever would show any pup anything in a cage nor would I show one a hole end after a dig what they suppose to learn from  any of that and I'm not fine with either and just read up on baiting educate your self 

Edited by blackmaggie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, Jambalaya said:

Idiots..

What exactly do you think baiting is?

We all have our opinions, I don't think it's right, if I was entering a dog I'd wait until it was old anufe and let it be a pup, once old anufe it would be started on rat, don't see what dog gets out of it never mind poor animal inside. I'm happy we don't do that shite in UK, 

To me and according to the local fish and game officers, I can use the coon to train dogs with as they called I just can't dump the coon from a trap and allow my dogs to kill it..

On this side of the pond, and my state it's not baiting if the dog never makes contact.. 

Like I said we trapped a coon that has been wiping chicken coops out and just out of curiosity, I set the cage down and let the pup have a sniff.. there was even a fence between the dog and caged coon.. just wanted to see how she'd act.. nothing more..

I sent the coon with a hound hunting friend who will cast him tonight and let his pups tree him.. it's perfectly legal here.. twas just a look see at a bandit..nothing more chaps.. 

24 minutes ago, Jambalaya said:

But no worries I will never make the mistake of placing photos on this forum again of pups having a sniff of anything .

Good nobody wants to see any animal placed infront of another on here even if it had bomb proof glass in between there's no hunt involved you hunted for it and placed it there!... as bait! 

Edited by Lowther
4 minutes ago, Lowther said:

Good nobody wants to see any animal placed infront of another on here even if it had bomb proof glass in between there's no hunt involved you hunted for it and placed it there!... as bait! 

Sir, we free cast our terriers over here.. we are not hand walking terriers to marked setts so there's no baiting going on here..

1 minute ago, Ptd87 said:

What ha think they do here ..ring in advance

Well.. I've never been there but EVERYONE I talk too says the terriers are not free casted there.. They are hand walked to marked earth's.. I understand that maybe that's the way you must do it and I won't call you baiters but that's not hunting either..