A change from the dales

14 hours ago, Trev70 said:

Its a mix of all sorts mate.

:huh:?!  and yor whippets didn't get ripped to shreds?! Well blow me down, they were in amongst it AND catching, AND NOT getting ripped to pieces!  There are people on here that will be thinking you must've coated your whippets in kevlar Lol :laugh: :thumbs:

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Fukc me it's hardly a thick hedge is it ... you could drive a mini through those gaps lol ... however he must have some special stuff to put on them dogs because that long grass looks quite tough and they didn't get cut ?

• Confused 1
37 minutes ago, socks said:

Fukc me it's hardly a thick hedge is it ... you could drive a mini through those gaps lol ... however he must have some special stuff to put on them dogs because that long grass looks quite tough and they didn't get cut ?

No, the hedge isn't that thick.  But they were in amongst it and not getting ripped.  On almost every post about whippets, you ALWAYS bang on about how easy they rip, even if they practically just so much as look at anything sharp/thorny etc.

You must've seen some poor whippets to base your assumptions on. And the fact you say every whippet you've seen is too small, fragile, shivery etc, leads me to believe that you've not seen that many whippets actually working.

I can assure you that there are plenty of whippets around that are anything but small and fragile, and don't get cut any more than most typical lurchers. And also catch just as many rabbits as most lurchers do. They obviously are not regular fox dogs, but that isn't what they were bred for.

And I know you never mentioned fox, I was just saying.

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 5

Exciting clip to watch,..well done :thumbs:

This is mostly the type of ferreting that we do 'darn sarf'...

I enjoy catching rabbits along the hedgerows and bankings,..its invariable action-packed, and some ya catch and some ya miss, but great craic nevertheless.

As for whippets,.well yes, they can get ripped up and injured, as will most dogs that are crash bang merchants,..its kinda goes with the territory.

I remember chatting with an ancient rabbit catcher,.. some 40 years ago...

He owned a jet black, lean and mean whippet dog.

The animal was super keen and sported a pelt that was crisscrossed, with a zig-zag pattern of white scars, that in truth, resembled a map of the world!

I asked him if the whippet had caught much? 

His reply made all my pals laugh,.."That wee jukel, has fecking eaten more rabbits than you have ever seen mate"

Never forgot that saying,...used it myself a few times...:thumbs:

• Like 5