Nail Length.

i was hoping this thread would be sensible.i got 2 dogs and one's feet are embarrasing.her claws grow up and arch out looking long as f**k and there really thick and black.other dogs i'm obsessed with keeping short and everytime he turns he slips and slides half way across the field.

i was hoping this thread would be sensible.i got 2 dogs and one's feet are embarrasing.her claws grow up and arch out looking long as f**k and there really thick and black.other dogs i'm obsessed with keeping short and everytime he turns he slips and slides half way across the field.

Fcuking cut them then.

• Like 1

Fcuking cut them then.

fucks sake petereinstein86 i never thought of that. :doh:

i do cut them and file them after but they grow up and over like a arch,so even when there not touching the floor they still look bad.

asked a greyhound trainer what he'd do (he never saw her)and he advised cutting them right back as close to the toe as you can.i don't think she'll come near me again if i done that.

A question i dont understand, in terriers or lurchers...

To me nail length is subject to excercise and graft and almost NEVER be an issue.

Only nails i've ever had to work on were those of elderly, lame, or infirmed dogs. Other than that, get the feckers out the kennels more an nails sort their own shit out....

To me nail length is subject to excercise and graft and almost NEVER be an issue.

Only nails i've ever had to work on were those of elderly, lame, or infirmed dogs. Other than that, get the feckers out the kennels more an nails sort their own shit out....

Totally agree with you bosun.its very rare that I cut the dogs nails.i was talking to an old fella today down the lane. who's terriers nails looked like Edward scissor hands.

And it had me thinking about working terriers nails.

When the wife's terrier broke her leg last year she had her whole leg and foot covered about 5 weeks once the cast came off the nail growth was amazing maybe her leg size shrinking exaggerated the size of her nails.

• Like 1

I'd also add that i've owned a couple of serious climbers, one of which had a couple of efforts out in serious rock piles. Now the old boys i was out with back then worked them rocks weekly and i never heard nails ever mentioned in a rock dog. A dogs desire to 'get' and an agile body will be the defining factors and i doubt nail length plays any part. If a dog wants to turn its toes in, to grip and force then it will do and good strong short nails will do that job right enough.

Those nails come with sound husbandry, excercise and graft, all natural and nothing will tell me different...

agree.this is the only dog who i have to cut her claws regular.

because i have fields right out side my door,they don't go on concrete much.

I'd also add that i've owned a couple of serious climbers, one of which had a couple of efforts out in serious rock piles. Now the old boys i was out with back then worked them rocks weekly and i never heard nails ever mentioned in a rock dog. A dogs desire to 'get' and an agile body will be the defining factors and i doubt nail length plays any part. If a dog wants to turn its toes in, to grip and force then it will do and good strong short nails will do that job right enough.

Those nails come with sound husbandry, excercise and graft, all natural and nothing will tell me different...

Now that's the sort of answer I was after bosun.

As I've never worked a dog in rock piles.

agree.this is the only dog who i have to cut her claws regular.

because i have fields right out side my door,they don't go on concrete much.

My dogs never walked on tarmac when I lived in Wales.

Only to cross the road then straight up the mountain.

Mainly forestry like walking on a sponge it didn't really keep them as short as I wanted.every few weeks I would walk them on the railway line.the ridge outside of the track for a few miles.

Which did a good job of splitting and cracking the tips of the nails.then the soil and muck would Smooth them off nicely.

On rocks though a dog will use and clinch with its nails to keep a grip or climb .that's how I remember some and comes with strength in the nail and feet. Other than that people who just have dogs nails long because the can't be arsed walking them but as you said it can be different if you live next to fields