Camera Trap Photos

I found a fresly dead fallow fawn yesterday, so I thought I would borrow a friend's camera trap and see what happened to it. I hammered two stakes through to stop any badgers etc carrying off the whole thing, and got some interesting shots. This is my first try with one, so will need to experiment a bit, but there are a couple of things which struck me.

It would seem that night pictures are flooded with white because the camera was too close so there was too much reflection of the infra red light; I have moved it back a couple of yards for tonight's effort. Also, the shutter speed seems a lot slower at night leading to blurry images (no, it wasn't Paulus!)and I guess there is little to be done about that? Unless anyone can give me a few pointers?

anyway, here are some of the pictures I got:

post-69966-0-99727900-1499686371_thumb.jpg

post-69966-0-67364800-1499686379_thumb.jpg

post-69966-0-49244500-1499686388_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Good shots! Definitely something I would like to buy soon as would add an extra string to your bow for reasons to get out and about! I wonder if it might be worth buying a few of these to cable tie in the tree branches to light up the shaded areas in the background so you could pick up anything a bit further back as well? It may also help take the focus off the cameras own light and reduce the white glare a bit? Just thought but defo worth a try

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Torch-Infrared-Light-Vision-Flashlight/dp/B016ZPH470

On shutter speed my understanding of it (which is probably completely wrong :D ) is it's bascially a few seconds of footage in a photo. If youve put it on 2 seconds then that means you are taking a 2 second long clip and freezing it all together to make one photo. So with a fox or other close up animals because they are likely to be rushing about I'd say you would want it on the lowest shutter speed possible to get the best still photos.

This is on my go pro at 30 sec shutter speed and the line is a plane flying across for 30 seconds from start to finsh and then the camera picks it all up and puts it all in to one frame.

17991056_10206882088250782_6455226860958893556_n.jpg

I think that's how it works anyway :thumbs:

Thanks. Some interesting information there ?

Good shots! Definitely something I would like to buy soon as would add an extra string to your bow for reasons to get out and about! I wonder if it might be worth buying a few of these to cable tie in the tree branches to light up the shaded areas in the background so you could pick up anything a bit further back as well? It may also help take the focus off the cameras own light and reduce the white glare a bit? Just thought but defo worth a tryhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Torch-Infrared-Light-Vision-Flashlight/dp/B016ZPH470

On shutter speed my understanding of it (which is probably completely wrong :D ) is it's bascially a few seconds of footage in a photo. If youve put it on 2 seconds then that means you are taking a 2 second long clip and freezing it all together to make one photo. So with a fox or other close up animals because they are likely to be rushing about I'd say you would want it on the lowest shutter speed possible to get the best still photos.

This is on my go pro at 30 sec shutter speed and the line is a plane flying across for 30 seconds from start to finsh and then the camera picks it all up and puts it all in to one frame.

attachicon.gif17991056_10206882088250782_6455226860958893556_n.jpg

most trail cams do either stills or video, the trigger speed is the time it takes an animal to walk passed the sensor and the camera starting to take pictures, the trigger time is quicker on still images than it is on video,s, the ir illuminater in your link is basically an ir torch and will be either on or off all the time I,m looking to get some movement triggered ir illuminators as I only go to my cameras once a month to keep my smell to a minimum, hope that helps cheers

I'd love to get one of these, we have red squirrels in the valley behind the house but I haven't seen one yet, most likely because I am always with the dog.

I've also seen kingfishers so if we could find our where they are it would be pretty cool to get some footage of one of those.

Another expensive item to add to the wishlist :laugh:

Good shots! Definitely something I would like to buy soon as would add an extra string to your bow for reasons to get out and about! I wonder if it might be worth buying a few of these to cable tie in the tree branches to light up the shaded areas in the background so you could pick up anything a bit further back as well? It may also help take the focus off the cameras own light and reduce the white glare a bit? Just thought but defo worth a tryhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Torch-Infrared-Light-Vision-Flashlight/dp/B016ZPH470

attachicon.gif17991056_10206882088250782_6455226860958893556_n.jpg

most trail cams do either stills or video, the trigger speed is the time it takes an animal to walk passed the sensor and the camera starting to take pictures, the trigger time is quicker on still images than it is on video,s, the ir illuminater in your link is basically an ir torch and will be either on or off all the time I,m looking to get some movement triggered ir illuminators as I only go to my cameras once a month to keep my smell to a minimum, hope that helps cheers

Was having this discussion with someone the other day do you think in over crowded place like the uk you need to worry about your scent too much ? Just think animals are constantly going over roads and footpaths they here radios blaring fuel fumes crops get sprayed shooting in winter and a 100 other things.

• Like 2

I put a trail cam up once,low level,came back after a few weeks over a hundred pics on it,first few pics fox,then a local tom cat came down the trail sniffed the cam and scent marked it,f**k me dozens of pics of a small number of cats scent marking or sniffing the cam,they wouldn't walk down the track without doing so :blink: I wonder if scent marked bedding from a zoo,of whatever big cat is thought to be in the vicinity,placed in front of a cam would get the desired pic.........

• Like 1

This is on my go pro at 30 sec shutter speed and the line is a plane flying across for 30 seconds from start to finsh and then the camera picks it all up and puts it all in to one frame.attachicon.gif17991056_10206882088250782_6455226860958893556_n.jpg

Was having this discussion with someone the other day do you think in over crowded place like the uk you need to worry about your scent too much ? Just think animals are constantly going over roads and footpaths they here radios blaring fuel fumes crops get sprayed shooting in winter and a 100 other things.

I was of the same opinion as yourself until I started putting up the cameras and saw the reactions Of the animals, I have had two cameras pulled down by badgers and the reaction to infa red is quite surprising for something that's meant to be invisible, there is also a very slight noise from some of the cheaper cameras that can scare the animals it's a big learning curve and I,m still learning