Is It Worth It?

I got told my dogs sire was a nuttal bred dog and the dam was a nuttal/Stevens bred bitch. I've never been one for "pedigree's" as I race pigeons and I've found the ones with the good paper pedigree often turn out to be useless. I've also seen every other dog forsale has nuttal on their somewhere. Is it worth keeping notes of how my dogs are bred or is it not worth the paper it's written on? Cheers

It depends on how the dog works, if it's the dogs bollocks you can put your chest out and shout about the pedigree, if it's shit you can blame the pedigree or just say nothing and keep your head down........the latter works for me

• Like 10

It depends on how the dog works, if it's the dogs bollocks you can put your chest out and shout about the pedigree, if it's shit you can blame the pedigree or just say nothing and keep your head down........the latter works for me

It also depends on if you are given the proper ped in the 1st place.

• Like 7

Time will tell, I think I'll just take it with a pinch of salt but just for reference.

It can easy enough to find out a dogs pedigrees (and there's a good chance the one you've been given is the truth) in this day and age and the fact that liars are usually caught out because they tend to have bad memories.

So if possible talk to the breeder and ask for a bit of background and maybe talk to anyone else who has siblings or the stud dog etc. etc.

Getting the truth can help a lot in any future breeding plans you might have if your pup grows up to make the grade.

• Like 3

Writing down everything not only gives you the background ,it gives you a path to take forward if you wish to breed the dog .Its also great reading ,if a big geeky ,when your older and reminiscing is all part of life .Christ ,sound like me dad .

Nuttal is one of those paper geeks and will have it down if he bred it and whats more he will have it's ancestry too ,if your interested .

Paper is only as good as what your feeding right now ,not worth anything if the proof isn't there to take digging .

• Like 4

There are lads who laugh at pedigrees and those who keep them. Whether it's because they've been screwed in the past or can't work them out or more likely just jealous of those who know the breeding of their terriers the truth is that those lads who work their terriers to a high standard while keeping their lines tight ,while keeping records, are usually the lads who always have a few good ones about them.

Those who scoff at pedigrees or don't care about them always seem to be the lads who spend half their life looking for workers.

• Like 9

Some lads can only go of the peds of what they have been told and unless your there ta see the matings take place well it's a trust issue then can ya really take anyone's word as gospel when it comes to terriers.

• Like 4

Some lads can only go of the peds of what they have been told and unless your there ta see the matings take place well it's a trust issue then can ya really take anyone's word as gospel when it comes to terriers.

That's why you see quite a few photos of dog & bitch in the mating tied position, seeing is believing I know you can't have photos of all matings that's in said pedigree but you can certainly have the photo of some of them if it's your own line.

• Like 1