Show Us Your White Dog's

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Probably a good thing, only the toughest and smartest survived, with a big gene pool they were healthy as. I'd bet these mongrel terriers were a lot more useful than todays show bred Russells.

Not really viable consistent working terriers though. Those nice working Parson types that you have would not be out of place in a working terrier show. And nothing wrong with that. Good conformation is not a disadvantage to any working dog, breeding purely for conformation and rosettes is. But people like shiny things.

• Like 3
On 19/01/2024 at 08:03, eastcoast said:

Not really viable consistent working terriers though. Those nice working Parson types that you have would not be out of place in a working terrier show. And nothing wrong with that. Good conformation is not a disadvantage to any working dog, breeding purely for conformation and rosettes is. But people like shiny things.

Yeah my two have pretty good conformation and they can work but the other Russells I used to have were much better workers and conformation wasn't their strong point, they looked more like workers to me and were bred for a long time just for foxes. I only use mine for rats now and kicking up a few rabbits and killing feral cats, so they suit me. I know a lady with show Russells, they have great conformation and coats but they are just an average small dog and have virtually no hunting traits at all. I wouldn't even class them as a terrier where I had a show bred Cairn as a kid that worked anything you put him to.

11 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Yeah my two have pretty good conformation and they can work but the other Russells I used to have were much better workers and conformation wasn't their strong point, they looked more like workers to me and were bred for a long time just for foxes. I only use mine for rats now and kicking up a few rabbits and killing feral cats, so they suit me. I know a lady with show Russells, they have great conformation and coats but they are just an average small dog and have virtually no hunting traits at all. I wouldn't even class them as a terrier where I had a show bred Cairn as a kid that worked anything you put him to.

I had a pure Cairn when I was about 17 mad as a box of frogs bit everyone in my street milk man paper boy veg man only ever killed rats and cats haha but it was a proper terrier balls of steel only intrested in fighting eating and shagging probably why I liked it so much 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
On 21/01/2024 at 05:31, jackthelad said:

I had a pure Cairn when I was about 17 mad as a box of frogs bit everyone in my street milk man paper boy veg man only ever killed rats and cats haha but it was a proper terrier balls of steel only intrested in fighting eating and shagging probably why I liked it so much 

Mine was pretty quiet, like a staff temp but he did attack the landlord at the time snooping around when I was out and my mate who lived across the road had to drag him off the bloke. My two staff/cattle dogs were just watching it apparently. lol.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I was interested in finding out what this bitch was made up of as the curled tail had me thinking she may have pug or even basenji blood. I got her DNA tested and was surprised at the result. Before I say does anyone want to have a guess of the other breed other than the mostly Parson heritage?

IMG_1018.jpeg

8 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I was interested in finding out what this bitch was made up of as the curled tail had me thinking she may have pug or even basenji blood. I got her DNA tested and was surprised at the result. Before I say does anyone want to have a guess of the other breed other than the mostly Parson heritage?

IMG_1018.jpeg

Lakeland, Stafford, beagle way back and if from UK KC stuff Fox Terrier. Not intending to be cheeky but I would say most Russells have those in the mix, minus the Fox Terrier.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, eastcoast said:

Lakeland, Stafford, beagle way back and if from UK KC stuff Fox Terrier. Not intending to be cheeky but I would say most Russells have those in the mix, minus the Fox Terrier

That's what I was thinking and maybe these are taken for granted to be in Russells but she is 1/8 Jagd which over here was surprising. She is a quiet dog and has never shaken a rat, just crushes them, even big ones biting her, she has done this since 12 weeks. Doesn't matter what's in her really but I'm sort of happy it's not pug, lol.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

That's what I was thinking and maybe these are taken for granted to be in Russells but she is 1/8 Jagd which over here was surprising. She is a quiet dog and has never shaken a rat, just crushes them, even big ones biting her, she has done this since 12 weeks. Doesn't matter what's in her really but I'm sort of happy it's not pug, lol.

How does the DNA testing work? To my limited knowledge a Jagd was the Nazi attempt to create a black and tan fox terrier. The fox terrier at that time is what we would now class as a Parson. So surely the DNA make up of a Jagd is the same as the DNA make up of a modern Parson? And the same DNA as a modern KC fox terrier as the show breeders created their freaks from the original working terriers that were registered in the late 19th century and they closed the gene pool. 

If it had been around at the time I would loved to have had one dog in particular DNA tested. Pedigree unknown and looked like a leggy black and tan beagle. Slightly too big to work fox underground but a fantastic hunting dog above and in rocks/rubbish piles/stacks of material etc. Would have loved to have known his make up.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, eastcoast said:

How does the DNA testing work? To my limited knowledge a Jagd was the Nazi attempt to create a black and tan fox terrier. The fox terrier at that time is what we would now class as a Parson. So surely the DNA make up of a Jagd is the same as the DNA make up of a modern Parson? And the same DNA as a modern KC fox terrier as the show breeders created their freaks from the original working terriers that were registered in the late 19th century and they closed the gene pool. 

If it had been around at the time I would loved to have had one dog in particular DNA tested. Pedigree unknown and looked like a leggy black and tan beagle. Slightly too big to work fox underground but a fantastic hunting dog above and in rocks/rubbish piles/stacks of material etc. Would have loved to have known his make up.

I'm not sure and that is a point but maybe the Jagd have something unique in it's DNA to differ from the Parsons? I wish I had my old blue whippet lurcher done, I'm sure she had some bull blood and maybe even cattle dog as she was a lot more complex and intelligent than your average whippet or staghound. They use the Jagd over here for deer and pigs mostly and while they don't appeal to me they are pretty full on terriers. The DNA was sent to Ireland to get tested, my daughter gave me the kit for Christmas and it took a couple of months. Apart from the curled tail I knew the bitch had something else in her, just her look and her serious attitude.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...