Don't want to go into details, but our lifestyle has taken a very serious downturn in the last year or two, but I've always loved by the maxim that as long as I've got a quid more than I need, I'm OK......

......and, anyway, I'd rather be happy than rich !

• Like 2

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As we head towards a general election we keep hearing about/being told about poverty, austerity and how people are struggling....we are fed this diet by media and every party except the conservatives.

You know what annoys me is people in this country who arent on the bread line are quick to blame the less fortunate for "bleeding the country" all our woes from the burden on the NHS to cuts in the pu

Not all do.f***ing reality tv to blame for that misconception. I have a mate who is bringing up his 8year old son by himself after his wife f****d off.He works part time and by f**k he works hard for

Posted Images

Don't want to go into details, but our lifestyle has taken a very serious downturn in the last year or two, but I've always loved by the maxim that as long as I've got a quid more than I need, I'm OK......

......and, anyway, I'd rather be happy than rich !

same here, i have enough to pay my bills & feed myself , rather know the bailiff aint knocking than have a shit load of credit for luxerys :thumbs:

• Like 2

Thats horrendous kay lol

but you have my utmost respect for going to work for that.

Pisses me off when you see what the politicians get for doing what?

Then the lords get 200bucks a day apperance money!

parasites the lot of them!

Thats horrendous kay lol

but you have my utmost respect for going to work for that.

Pisses me off when you see what the politicians get for doing what?

Then the lords get 200bucks a day apperance money!

parasites the lot of them!

I found it laughable to be honest, its never bothered me being in part time work, i couldn't hack 40 hours a week... wouldn't be able to potter around in the day its enough for my needs as i dont run a car or have holidays so i am quite happy with my lot :laugh:

• Like 1

The problem is that to help some people you need to be very straight with them but if anyone famous, wealthy or a politician does the entire country goes up in arms!

There are plenty of stories where someone who has money has said something that would have made perfect sense if it had come from a parent or grand parent and every newspaper is screaming blue murder.

A jacket potato & cheese costs next to nothing, I can rattle off meals all day that are very cheap, I would love to see more TV programs helping people and more education for people about ways to save money but there is very little appetite. People want to eat expensive unhealthy shyte and have cable TV and all the trappings and then moan about the consequences.

I do have all the respect in the world for those people who live frugally but like I said they barely get a mention or notice, it's always some fat slob crying on daytime TV that life isn't fair and they're discriminated against because they like eating cake.

My gran was the coolest person I've known, she was run over in the 1920s, lost one leg, got married during the war, had my dad and then 3 years later my grandad then died of a heart attack. She brought up a child, always worked (disabled) and never took anything from the state. We moved here up north eventually and my dad found all these benefits she could get and had never claimed, she just didn't want them.

Putting away my soap box now :laugh:

• Like 2

The problem is that to help some people you need to be very straight with them but if anyone famous, wealthy or a politician does the entire country goes up in arms!

There are plenty of stories where someone who has money has said something that would have made perfect sense if it had come from a parent or grand parent and every newspaper is screaming blue murder.

A jacket potato & cheese costs next to nothing, I can rattle off meals all day that are very cheap, I would love to see more TV programs helping people and more education for people about ways to save money but there is very little appetite. People want to eat expensive unhealthy shyte and have cable TV and all the trappings and then moan about the consequences.

I do have all the respect in the world for those people who live frugally but like I said they barely get a mention or notice, it's always some fat slob crying on daytime TV that life isn't fair and they're discriminated against because they like eating cake.

My gran was the coolest person I've known, she was run over in the 1920s, lost one leg, got married during the war, had my dad and then 3 years later my grandad then died of a heart attack. She brought up a child, always worked (disabled) and never took anything from the state. We moved here up north eventually and my dad found all these benefits she could get and had never claimed, she just didn't want them.

Putting away my soap box now :laugh:

I was lucky enough to have a dad & a gran who could cook a meal out of nothing , it came in very useful when my kids where little, folks today dont know how to make use of a freezer , cooking a big pan of chilli & get some casseroles made up & stick it in the freezer in tubs for the coming week .. like you say a jacket spud & chilli or cheese costs about a quid per person ...

• Like 2

Same with my parents, I also got the added 'benefit' they were tight as hell :laugh: Its sad a lot of people don't have that knowledge.

In our house Thursday night was shopping night, we would all rush out to help my mum in with the bags of food. The prize? One packet of rich tea biscuits between the 3 of us. It would have been insane to have just had one or two because they'd have all been eaten the next day so the three of us would have our third and eat the lot that night :laugh:

Same with my parents, I also got the added 'benefit' they were tight as hell :laugh: Its sad a lot of people don't have that knowledge.

In our house Thursday night was shopping night, we would all rush out to help my mum in with the bags of food. The prize? One packet of rich tea biscuits between the 3 of us. It would have been insane to have just had one or two because they'd have all been eaten the next day so the three of us would have our third and eat the lot that night :laugh:

I think I have inherited my moms frugal ways , like saving stuff like curtains from a window & giving them a new lease of life a few years later by making cushion covers out of them ... I also paint stuff like tables & just tat about rather than buy new , I am very tight had a 20 note in my purse since last sat & it will kill me to use it :laugh:

I remember the family treat was angel delight on a sunday after the obligatory tinned salmon pieces :laugh: for tea

• Like 2

I think I have inherited my moms frugal ways , like saving stuff like curtains from a window & giving them a new lease of life a few years later by making cushion covers out of them ... I also paint stuff like tables & just tat about rather than buy new , I am very tight had a 20 note in my purse since last sat & it will kill me to use it :laugh:

I remember the family treat was angel delight on a sunday after the obligatory tinned salmon pieces :laugh: for tea

Those ways are a great gift.

One of the things I love about THL are the cooking sections and gardening...I'm a good cook but lazy in the garden. The missus is an aspiring gardener and it's a nice feeling to get something for free that you've grown yourself, hunting goes without saying. I also love hitting the motherload in Tescos at 7pm in Holyhead, sometimes you can get loads of stuff for peanuts, if they have herbs in winter we grab loads and freeze them :)

I made a BBQ casserole last weekend, It was pretty cheap to make and fed 5

2 onions. 20p

Half a pack of mushrooms. 44p

Smoked bacon lardons. 33p

Half a pack of Aldi braadworst

sausage sliced into half inch

pieces. 85p

2 tins of baked beans. 66p

Half a jar of hunters chicken

BBQ sauce. 42p

Served with roast potatoes 50p

Bung it all in the slow cooker and the total cost is £3.40 to feed five 68p per meal plus cooking costs. The bacon lardons I get by buying a kilo of smoked bacon off cuts cutting them up and I get three bags for a quid. Slow cookers are brilliant for making cheap and tasty meals.

TC

I really didn't mean to belittle those that are struggling and I really don't watch realty TV and believe it represents real life. A single parent with one child who trys to work part time is an example of someone slipping through the system.....my point is from personal experience people really struggling is an exception rather than the rule.