Cz Or Savage?

So, off to France next month and I can get a Savage mark II G ( with accu-trigger) for £320 or a CZ 455 (standard) for £370. Any opinions? The CZ455 can take a .17 hmr barrel (£150). CZ 452 still widely available for around £400.

Any advice welcome as it will be my first real rifle.

The Savage accu-trigger is like marmite, but i haven't found anyone who likes it yet. You might though.

IMO a CZ is the far better choice. The 455 is the later version of the 452 (although some would say the 452 is built using better quality parts). There was a 453 in between, but didn't seem to take off.

In real terms not much to choose between the 452 and 455.

I've got a pre accutrigger mkII savage in lr and a 452 in wmr.

Both are now in aftermarket stocks but the main reason I didn't buy a cz lr when I first got my ticket was because I never found their stocks comfortable. I'd say the cz is marginally a better built rifle but accuracy wise, there really isn't anything in it once you sort out the triggers on both (which are both usually cack out of the box) the accutrigger is an improvement but still not quite as good as a properly sorted and bedded in cz unit (obviously the best option is to drop in a rife basix or similar down the line but you probably won't need to if you use a kit)

the 452 has a near legendary reputation for good reason and if a new one is available it is the one to go for out of the 3 in my opinion IF the stock puts you where you need to be.

The caveat to add here is if the cz is a lux model, get a scope on there first and have a long play about with it because the lux stocks are horrific things imho, thin, whippy fore end, hogs back butt that doesn't put you anywhere near the scope and a general feel that would make a pygmy think it was a bit small! The thumb hole and the American are better options if you get along with them but remember you can get a boyds from Edgar bros now for 200 ish quid.

• Like 1

CZ452 .22lr , i use one most days/ nights , can't fault it . synthetic stock with a 16" barrel , you can't go wrong . Whatever else you move upto you'll always keep your first rifle and this is one to keep.

• Like 1

CZ452 .22lr , i use one most days/ nights , can't fault it . synthetic stock with a 16" barrel , you can't go wrong . Whatever else you move upto you'll always keep your first rifle and this is one to keep.

I presume you cut the barrel. Did it affect the balance a lot? Can't use a silencer for hunting in France.

I presume you cut the barrel. Did it affect the balance a lot? Can't use a silencer for hunting in France.

You can buy 452s with a 16" barrel, unless you're left handed like me and they only do 22" I think it is. I had mine cut to 15". Nice and pointable.

I've got a Cz 452 16" Varmint Barrel .17 and I've owned it from new for about 7 years if you look after it keep it nicely oiled it will be ultra reliable and accurate I only ever put Remington down it and they have been excellent but that's a whole new topic ammo preference.

I changed the trigger it's much lighter now the gun itself is a bit heavy once you have all your add ons scope bipod light ect but I like laying in ditches on me Tod i do most of my hunting on my own as I find when out with others they talk smoke ect which pisses me off lol you probably think I'm a right miserable git... your right.

• Like 1