The "red" Fox

Thanks for finding that Novice. Very interesting.

As I started to scroll down I said to myself I've seen some of these variations but as I went further I thought "have I, f**k," LOL.

I know that site only deals with colours but look at all the variations in size and shape too ?

• Like 1

Didn't see many greyhound types lol.Craggers will be disappointed I know .I've room on the wall for a few color variations but I've yet to take one that hasn't been the norm .Had a few black fronted but nothing that stands out .Any fox fur farms left in Britain anyone know .

You looking for the greyhound fox, Neil?

LOL, no I'll leave that one to the history buffs.

But, as I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if years ago before transport became so advanced if there were localised fox populations that carried distinctive markings or where taller or longer than foxes 100 miles up the road.

Especially when you take natural barriers like the Pennines to slow travel down.

I know it was certainly true with hares in parts of Ireland before the coursing clubs started swapping them around.

Nearly all the foxes on that site are mans design but in the first section there are several varieties that occur in the wild and have a look at the recent discussion on the taxidermy forum to see mutations closer to home.

But, as I said before, I wouldn't be surprised if years ago before transport became so advanced if there were localised fox populations that carried distinctive markings or where taller or longer than foxes 100 miles up the road.

Especially when you take natural barriers like the Pennines to slow travel down.

I know it was certainly true with hares in parts of Ireland before the coursing clubs started swapping them around.

Nearly all the foxes on that site are mans design but in the first section there are several varieties that occur in the wild and have a look at the recent discussion on the taxidermy forum to see mutations closer to home.

still is true in some places-different(local) strains of hare.theres a spot a few miles from me breeds absolute stags of yokes..anlther spot youd see the odd white one.
  • Like 1

still is true in some places-different(local) strains of hare.theres a spot a few miles from me breeds absolute stags of yokes..anlther spot youd see the odd white one.

It's always nice to see something different. Yesterday morning I seen a 3/4 grown Leveret with a full white collar and the rest of the body was pied grey and brown with some white.

I had my lurcher with me and held her up. When I was young, regardless of time of year, I'd have wanted that pelt.

I dug a pure white critter (to use an American expression, LOL.) years ago and released it thinking I'd meet it again but didn't. I'm convinced it got killed on the road and was picked up.

• Like 1

Can mind reading about some market down the country back in the late 1800s that was noted for selling foxes imported from France. Foxes were fewer then and it said Hunts bought them for stocking purposes. So back then native blood was being diluted. Sure book was Town Fox Country Fox by Robin Page?

• Like 3