• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best hunters on THL have took the full spectrum of gear with their dogs & all single handed by the age of 8 months old..Just do as they say they do bud,it must be true what they say as there's

Spend the time training them first then worry about bringing them on.

It all depends on the dog I don't start mine till about 15mths old if there ready only you will know your dog just don't be in a rush there easily spoilt

Posted Images

So does everyone think that maybe now isn't a bad age to start him on some squatters just to see how he gets on, I didn't want him to keep missing and end up yapping ?

ive got a pup here around the same age I haven't lamped him but what I have done is let him see an older dog catch and let him play with dead bunny 1st time I did it he carried all the round the fields right chuffed about it tail pricked up the lot it all adds up in my eyes

So does everyone think that maybe now isn't a bad age to start him on some squatters just to see how he gets on, I didn't want him to keep missing and end up yapping ?

ive got a pup here around the same age I haven't lamped him but what I have done is let him see an older dog catch and let him play with dead bunny 1st time I did it he carried all the round the fields right chuffed about it tail pricked up the lot it all adds up in my eyes

Sounds pretty similar to what I'm doing with him at the moment he's very alert when we are out, give it a few months and I will probably be slipping him with the other dog see how things turn out mate

I've a bull Wheaton greyhound here 2 year old next week still imature when out just mooching stick lamp on different kettle of fish

I got lurcher bitch here that's 8, she sees my kids an she starts acting like a puppy, even of she only saw em 10 mins ago haha dogs are funny things

great that, she shows what good temp she is :thumbs: , good dog that , Buck the same he 5 this year he brill with kids he very gentile and big soft thing with them , which is great, yet if seen a fox or a deer , he like a different animal very full on temp, how they switch it on and off like that amazing really :yes:

I've a bull Wheaton greyhound here 2 year old next week still imature when out just mooching stick lamp on different kettle of fish

I suppose the dog knows it's game on when the lamps out good dog

he does when I'm out with him with the terriers bushing or out with him with lamp he switched on but when just exercising him he like a 6 month old pup mate atb longers01

The best hunters on THL have took the full spectrum of gear with their dogs & all single handed by the age of 8 months old..Just do as they say they do bud,it must be true what they say as there's hundreds of them who do it on here ?

• Like 3

Done mine no harm catching his 1st bunny at 5 months old retrieved bigger ones at 12 months but common sense says don't over do it as dog is still growing, All dogs and owners differ. Do what you want, you know your dog better than anyone else. My dog is 3/8 5/8 Bull Grey and stands 27+ tts. Missed most of last season with injury after just turning 2 yrs 1st night back on the lamp around January took 6 and could of had more.Glad prey drive was installed into him at an early age. Atb

Edited by flipbull