Anyone see that Rio Ferdinand thing last night ?.....got some bollocks about him that boy you could feel the pain he was in.....ive heard folk talk about hard man this and tough guy that and i always said it doesnt take a hard man to do what comes natural but with your back against the wall forced into a sticky situation you see the toughness in a man and Rio epitomises that for me......a lad ive known many years a lot younger than me was forced into a similar situation years ago he taught me so much about grit and dedication.........certainly a program worth watching if you havent seen it.

• Like 8

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone see that Rio Ferdinand thing last night ?.....got some bollocks about him that boy you could feel the pain he was in.....ive heard folk talk about hard man this and tough guy that and i always

yeh watched it , good tv , yeh takes guts to put your self up public with wort's@all , he was lucky in some ways though , with some wealth ,and good friends him, some people arnt as lucky. i kno

I agree that dealing with the day to day stuff won't come into it like it would for some low income mum left alone, but I think you have to bet the grief is the same brother.

Anyone see that Rio Ferdinand thing last night ?.....got some bollocks about him that boy you could feel the pain he was in.....ive heard folk talk about hard man this and tough guy that and i always said it doesnt take a hard man to do what comes natural but with your back against the wall forced into a sticky situation you see the toughness in a man and Rio epitomises that for me......a lad ive known many years a lot younger than me was forced into a similar situation years ago he taught me so much about grit and dedication.........certainly a program worth watching if you havent seen it.

yeh watched it , good tv , yeh takes guts to put your self up public with wort's@all , he was lucky in some ways though , with some wealth ,and good friends him, some people arnt as lucky. i know deff about grief , when my old mom died . i spoke to her the week before on a sat, i used go down to visit her and me dad , sometimes with my son. But that week it was just me having a chat like mom and sons do at times, and it was great to talk her with no body else there like said on the post in this sec regards money and death . it was strange visit really because norm there was always my other brothers and sisters popping in to see my mom and dad , but that day just me and her for 1/2 hour , and it was nice she said some great things to me , that she always had soft spot for me out of the 5 kids, and me being the eldest son. Anyway mom died the following week , she had brain hemorrhage , and died 8 hours of getting it. was in fookin shock no warning , no illness , just went right out . it hit me about 18 months after , just broke down funny thing i was out walking my dog , and just happened , just little old woman with dog just said hello and she nodded , and i walked past , then it just happened , i had sit down and wait for it to leave me it took a 1 hour, then went back home, never said nothing to my wife or son . when i visit there graves now i not to bad , i got the grief out of me that one day, Rio will after do the same one day . :yes:

• Like 8

Good post that, It great imho that a bloke as well known as him is talking about something that is rarely spoken of.

I watched something else the other week about an organisation/charity called "Winstons Wish" which is for bereaved kids and kids who have lost parents through violence.

I don't mind saying I was in tears at some of the stories.

There's no manual for any of that, and some people never figure out how to deal with it.......if it helps one person then it's all good

Edited by WILF
  • Like 2

i was same ray my died an my brother got murdered later that day it hit me about 6 months later out hunting

good god, how can you ever get over that being some one close being murdered , no way , it would eat away at you every time his name mentioned deff :yes:

Didn't watch it and probably a horrid thing to say , but it's a lot easier when you've got a few quid in the bank, kids away for weekends, picking up from school and dropping off,

He ain't exactly fretting about keeping a roof over their heads or how he will afford xmas is he?,

• Like 3

Didn't watch it and probably a horrid thing to say , but it's a lot easier when you've got a few quid in the bank, kids away for weekends, picking up from school and dropping off,

He ain't exactly fretting about keeping a roof over their heads or how he will afford xmas is he?,

I wonder wether things like this are harder for wealthy people than "normal" folk,with a seven figure bank balance I should imagine most problems can be eradicated if you see what I mean,death/grief is a great leveller,no amount of cash can alleviate /change this....its a struggle that wont go away with a cheque.Either way I have nothing but admiration for the man,a very difficult thing to deal with,and on top of that admitting his own flaws for all to see,in the hope of helping others in the same situation...A measure of the man in my eyes......

• Like 4

I agree that dealing with the day to day stuff won't come into it like it would for some low income mum left alone, but I think you have to bet the grief is the same brother.

• Like 6

I wonder wether things like this are harder for wealthy people than "normal" folk,with a seven figure bank balance I should imagine most problems can be eradicated if you see what I mean,death/grief is a great leveller,no amount of cash can alleviate /change this....its a struggle that wont go away with a cheque.Either way I have nothing but admiration for the man,a very difficult thing to deal with,and on top of that admitting his own flaws for all to see,in the hope of helping others in the same situation...A measure of the man in my eyes......

I totally agree Northern Lad.....yes in day to day living he wont have to worry about the bills but does the temptation to bail out to Bermuda as a young man and live the playboy life leaving the kids with the grand parents make things easier or harder......to me it shows the values and qualities of the man that all he cares about is sticking in with his kids by his side ok its just a tv program but the sincerity and honesty he showed and absolute love for his kids was a real eye opener for me and another example of how totally inferior you can be made to feel when it comes to character and family values.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 5

I watched it with my wife, and have nothing but admiration for the man...

For quite a few years now my wife's been ill, meaning lots of ops and time in hospital...it worries you a lot... and our main fear is how it affects the kids, they don't like seeing their mum I'll (obviously)... we as fairly young (40) with a young family, and sometimes the worst has crossed our minds...

watching rio last night, and how he is dealing with his grief whilst staying so strong for his kids was a hard watch, but also very inspiring... he's a credit to his family imo...

• Like 5

It's a leveller mate... look at some of those lads in the support group he visited, he gained more from the "average joes" than any other therapist etc... the lad who lost his wife then his baby daughter ffs!! Him and his new wife were very strong people, I just don't think I'd cope with that amount of loss...

• Like 4

Totally agree that grief is grief no matter what.

But is still easier to cope sat in a Range Rover at alderly edge wondering what day is best for Euro Disney than to keep the kids quiet when the provident woman is knocking st the door ...

I don't envy him his wealth or his problems but to me he can afford something 99 out of a 100 dads can't and that is being there for your kids 24 7, he ain't traipsing out to stick motorway cones in a Sunday night or bring away till Friday driving trucks

He can give his s kids whatever they want. It doesn't make him a better dad than you I or any other decent lad on here .

I know similar grief stricken people who didny get counselling or pity or help, they ended up with a bedtime bracelet and a 500 fine

• Like 4

my kids mum passed away 2002,very hard for me,but there was no support group or anything,i wouldnt have went to one anyway,sink or swim time,i had a bit of boo-hoo but kids focus your mind,no time for self pity with them needing looking after.

• Like 5

Totally agree that grief is grief no matter what.

But is still easier to cope sat in a Range Rover at alderly edge wondering what day is best for Euro Disney than to keep the kids quiet when the provident woman is knocking st the door ...

I don't envy him his wealth or his problems but to me he can afford something 99 out of a 100 dads can't and that is being there for your kids 24 7, he ain't traipsing out to stick motorway cones in a Sunday night or bring away till Friday driving trucks

He can give his s kids whatever they want. It doesn't make him a better dad than you I or any other decent lad on here .

I know similar grief stricken people who didny get counselling or pity or help, they ended up with a bedtime bracelet and a 500 fine

But thats dough he earned he didnt find it......he is entitled to that advantage through years of hard work,talent and dedication.......it wasnt luck..........so what a shame when everything he put into getting himself in front has been ruined by tragedy im sure he would do 9 to 5 in a chicken factory and go home to a council gaff every night if it meant his mrs and kids were going to be there.

• Like 4