Concrete Sub-Base - Question For The Builders

Lads I have a bit of a question, I am just wondering if 11 bags of concrete and 2 1/2 tons of sand gravel mix will fill my shuttering at 4m x 3m.

Any labourers on here with a good head for concrete volumes able to help me out?

Also, in terms of concrete thickness 3 inches is what I am aiming for.

Edited by RTurlough

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We normally use at 10 bags of cement per ton not 5 I think it will be two weak

4x2 is 100 MM deep mate there for you'll need 1.2 cubic metres

Think it needs to be at least 4 inches or 100mm deep.

You will need 0.9 m3

To mix a c20 mix you will need

288kg cement

1620kg ballast

270 litres of water

So on the quantities you have given, more than enough ballast, but slightly short on cement, depending how good your sub base is I wouldn't worry about it and use the 11 bags

I suppose I can always shutter off a section if I fall short of cement, finish that cell and then redo the rest that same day or next day.

just order or make 1 cubic metre then you'll have enough. As long as it's 75 MM deep, check with a straight edge and tape over a few parts of your shutter to be sure that's how much you need

Rt make sure the ground under the Base is well packed does not harm to give it a good go with wacker plate . As someone else said dip it here and there and you shouldn't be far away . If you can try not to put the concrete down on a frosty day , where you based ? If local I'd gladly give you a hand with it . Have worked with concrete for years

Lads I have a bit of a question, I am just wondering if 11 bags of concrete and 2 1/2 tons of sand gravel mix will fill my shuttering at 4m x 3m.

Any labourers on here with a good head for concrete volumes able to help me out?

Also, in terms of concrete thickness 3 inches is what I am aiming for.

Think it needs to be at least 4 inches or 100mm deep.

• Like 2

The base will have to slope to a drain.

If you want a 4 inch ( 100m) minimum thickness then it will need to be 6 inch (140mm) thick at the high end in a 4m long run.

Or 5 inch (130mm) on the 3m wide side.

You can slope the base underneath the 4 inch slab but that would not be the usual way I believe.

Lads I am ready to go. Channel drains are in and I have a natural slope to the drain due to the lie of the land. Just to shutter with 1 degree of slope towards the drains and I am ready to mix concrete. I'll go with what I have got 11 bags of cement and 2 ton of sand gravel ontop of my already laid 2ton of blinding. If I fall short that is a good thing. It means I can do the last foot to the drains to make an absolutely first class job of how the water flows away.

I'll get photos up in the next fortnight of the finished. Great to get the advice.

Edited by RTurlough
  • Like 1