The Cat Is Back, Confused.com

Some of you might remember I bought a new cat, and was having issues regards accuracy and power.

It was sent back to ASI, well I got it back yesterday with a chrono test after resetting the power, 24 shots with an extreme spread of 4.25 fps, using the fx 16gr pellet.

It was accuracy tested using 16gr fx pellets, 21.4gr biz mags and what looks like x man14.3gr.

I have 9 cards, biz mags been the worst with a 10p size group, fx been the best with what looks to be 2 pellet holes (a full mag) supposedly tested at 30 metres.

So with all this info I had massively high hopes for the returned gun.

No wind this Arvo so out in the garden, 37 yards to target.

Got the jsb test tin out, I tried all 7 pellets and it was shooting everywhere, inch groups or bigger, it started to look like it preferred the bigger heads of the exact jumbo 5.53 when it nailed 5 pellets on top of each other, then the group shifted one inch left and a few mm down with the last 3 pellets on top of each other, couldn't work that one out.

I tried the biz mags the gun has supposedly been tested with, 8 pellets and they were just inside a radius of 8 inches, yeah, 8 inches, not mm, inches ! How they supplied me a card with a 10mm group from biz mags I have no idea.

Next I tried FAPS, now we're talking, I was hitting the bull everytime, 3 full mags into a 20mm bull none outside and no flyers, I can work with that.

Went out and put some new targets up, made a coffee, settled down to blat some targets, grouping nearly an inch low, and to the right by one mill dot, the more I carried on the more erratic it went, up, down, left right, groups opening up, then going tight again.

I have a crow target, and with the hw and the regal, I can drop the disc every time on the smallest setting (ok I mess it up every once in a while, but the guns can do it)

This cat struggles to knock it down, ever ! Think I hit it three times today ! !

WTF is it with this cat, and how the feck have they sent me the supposed test cards saying its pellet on pellet and I am hitting 8 inch groups !

I actually started to believe it's me unable to shoot, until I pick the hw up, or the regal, or the r10 and it's bull every time.

Am fast loosing patience with this thing, it will get launched in the pond at this rate.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Get rid.

Once you have lost confidence in a gun you may as well get rid, there are plenty of good guns out there to go at.

Can you chrono it yourself to eliminate bullshit from them ?

Get rid. :thumbs:

That's been my gut feeling since I bought it.

How can ASI send me test cards showing one hole groups and with the same pellets I am lucky to hit a target 6 inch square ?

Am wondering if the scope is playing up, crosshairs moving maybe.

I had maybe 5 perfect groups today, that made me smile, then they just went all over the shop.

Is it grouping but just not where your aiming? I had the same issue with my HW100 today and thought it was me, then the scope and then finally Sean had a look at it and thinks the regulator needs resetting? To me, a newbie air guns seem to be so temperamental, I would have thought FX would offer a replacement.?

• Like 1

Yes I have to agree with the comments above as you have done all that you could. Just before you throw it as hard as possible back at the rfd, phone Simon at ASI to see what he actually says and even email Fredrick at FX to tell him of the issues.

I am a big believer to going to the horses mouth to resolve an issue and without question, Fredrick would be getting am email or phone call from me.

Phil

• Like 2

Cheers for the thoughts, general concenus is money back, and that's been in my mind since the day I bought it

However, when it did group it didn't half make me smile !

So thanks Phil, I will be doing exactly what you suggested tomorrow, if no joy it will be a full refund or it will be putting a big lump on the rfd's head !

Has anyone actually dealt with ASI ? I haven't, and can't get my head round the difference between the testing they done and today's results in perfect conditions from a bench rest, with the same pellets.

Is it grouping but just not where your aiming? I had the same issue with my HW100 today and thought it was me, then the scope and then finally Sean had a look at it and thinks the regulator needs resetting? To me, a newbie air guns seem to be so temperamental, I would have thought FX would offer a replacement.?

No, it's just not grouping, I didn't change the scope settings until I had settled on the FAPs been the pellet of choice, I didn't expect a zero, but I expected the groups to be grouping according to each pellet weight.

• Like 1

No, it's just not grouping, I didn't change the scope settings until I had settled on the FAPs been the pellet of choice, I didn't expect a zero, but I expected the groups to be grouping according to each pellet weight.

That would really whined me up as well, I can cope with the round not hitting where I'm aiming as I would always put that down to the scope, but not grouping is bad! The issue I've got is the gun is grouping really well but it's creeping high, then I refilled the air and it shot low!!!!

I feel for you mate, get your money and buy a Renagade

• Like 1

Let me know which pond you chuck it in Rob ????

Try the photon on it see if that's any better. If not a different day scope off you R10 maybe ? You know that's spot on and will tell you if it's the gun or scope. It can't be the reg as the spread in fpe is excellent mate

• Like 1

That would really whined me up as well, I can cope with the round not hitting where I'm aiming as I would always put that down to the scope, but not grouping is bad! The issue I've got is the gun is grouping really well but it's creeping high, then I refilled the air and it shot low!!!!

I feel for you mate, get your money and buy a Renagade

I get the groups shifting up and down as the fill pressure changes, I can cope with that as I learn it, but when it hits zero five times, then drops two inches, then goes left and down, then right and down, then the next four are high ! Then hits zero for a couple of mags........

You can keep your renegade, and the pulsar, and the Galahad, looked at them all and not for me for different reasons.

• Like 1