Bit Of A Panic..

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well had a wander out for a stress free hike yesterday morning with just Don & Ruby..I set off with the intention of just walking some 6 miles or so on the fells,weather was dry & the skies we

Yeah 99% of the time im out on my own,often where there is no phone signal or anything,i actually fell when coming down a mountain a couple of months ago,i was like a pin ball machine bouncing from ro

just like the film,,the Revenant,,sleeping in side a gutted beast..

Posted Images

Maybe a good idea for you to carry a little light weight bag with the essentials for an over night stay . Means of fire/shelter/cups soup / and stainless steel mug for brewing up /cooking in .. with today's equipment you could cary enough for an overnight emergency stay wich weighs next to nothing ... then as weather lifts and visability clears then start again and try find a path ... worth a though

Whenever your walking anywhere like that you need to carry the basics such as a warm top lightweight one man tunnel tent water and some energy bars ... you never know when your going to have an accident or if the weather is going to change drastically and tell someone your route and rough time to be home ... if your going to learn how to use a compass then buy a silva compass which is what the military use as that works in mills not degrees ... mills are far more accurate ......

• Like 3

Cheers lads,I did have a rucksack with plenty of grub in,a survival blanket,spare goretex jacket & trousers,gloves,couple of hats etc plus a knife lol as if I had to stay on the mountain until today & the frost/snow came in I'd of set the old cur on a wooly & skinned it without a second thought..& thanks for the heads up Ken matey,I will defo be buying one of those & today as all these electronic gadgets require batteries & if they go flat which they do especially in colder weather your f****d basically

• Like 2

Cheers lads,I did have a rucksack with plenty of grub in,a survival blanket,spare goretex jacket & trousers,gloves,couple of hats etc plus a knife lol as if I had to stay on the mountain until today & the frost/snow came in I'd of set the old cur on a wooly & skinned it without a second thought..& thanks for the heads up Ken matey,I will defo be buying one of those & today as all these electronic gadgets require batteries & if they go flat which they do especially in colder weather your f****d basically

If you can when you buy your maps try and buy 1 in 25,000 scale as they show you far more detail and once you've learned to read countour lines you can tell at a glance where the saddles ravines rentrants etc are which make picking a route much easier especially if you or one of the dogs are injured .....

• Like 2

just like the film,,the Revenant,,sleeping in side a gutted beast.. :laugh:

• Like 5

If you can when you buy your maps try and buy 1 in 25,000 scale as they show you far more detail and once you've learned to read countour lines you can tell at a glance where the saddles ravines rentrants etc are which make picking a route much easier especially if you or one of the dogs are injured .....

And dont forget your specs :D them maps are hard to read in a spot of bad weather.

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

I used to be an avid walker and climber, mountain leader trained the lot.

One day I was out walking and same as you, mist down and hadn't taken a bearing and lost. Thought I had taken the right route and ended up taking the route down Piers Ghyll off Scafell Pike instead of the path, got half way down and fell , fell down a waterfall and thankfully like you, my rucksack hit the deck before me. Tore a chunk out of my arse, a gash in my head and was in a mess. After 2 hours stuck there I got enough anger flowing to start climbing again and was met by mountain rescue who had been alerted to my whistle blowing.

Full kit with me but the shock and that from the fall had really screwed me up. Put me off hitting the hills alone for a good while.

Also got avalanched whilst climbing up from red tarn onto helvellyn on New Years day one year. thankfully it was into a gully and I was ok. Scary shizzle though.

I used to be an avid walker and climber, mountain leader trained the lot.

One day I was out walking and same as you, mist down and hadn't taken a bearing and lost. Thought I had taken the right route and ended up taking the route down Piers Ghyll off Scafell Pike instead of the path, got half way down and fell , fell down a waterfall and thankfully like you, my rucksack hit the deck before me. Tore a chunk out of my arse, a gash in my head and was in a mess. After 2 hours stuck there I got enough anger flowing to start climbing again and was met by mountain rescue who had been alerted to my whistle blowing.

Full kit with me but the shock and that from the fall had really screwed me up. Put me off hitting the hills alone for a good while.

Also got avalanched whilst climbing up from red tarn onto helvellyn on New Years day one year. thankfully it was into a gully and I was ok. Scary shizzle though.

bloody hell you were lucky both times.. :thumbs:

Having worked on the raf mountain rescue and being an old mlt always shocked how People don't really associate some of the higher land we have in the U.K. as dangerous ... big mistake. In fairness other than a good map (as socks sugggested 1:25000) sounds like you were better prepared than most and all ended well. I have been walking in beautiliful conditions in snowdonian numerous times and with 30mins you can't see you hand in front of you, tough going even for the experienced. Sometimes the safest option is to sit tight but that's only an option of you have the right kit with you. As has been said lesson learned atb only a few weeks back that a few walkers weren't so lucky up in the highlands.

i remember going up helvelyn as a young fit chap,,,,midle of june 25 degre in glenriding where we were camped,,,went up in rugby shirt and shorts,,,what a tit,,,b*****d feezing at the top,,,hudled behind that stone wall cross ,,, :doh:

i remember going up helvelyn as a young fit chap,,,,midle of june 25 degre in glenriding where we were camped,,,went up in rugby shirt and shorts,,,what a tit,,,b*****d feezing at the top,,,hudled behind that stone wall cross ,,, :doh:

My godfather died up there, was a heart attack mind. R.I.P. Uncle Brian.

D.