Classic Hunting With The "old Girl" On New Years Eve

Well lads , straight to work with me.

I zeroed the old girl, ( FWB Sport 124) yesterday afternoon and she went to work at 3pm this afternoon.

On the first couple of steps into the small wood I startled two very healthy rabbits that bolted away.

I decided to sit and wait for incoming wood pigeon,( roosting) heard a rusting in the fallen leaves some 35 yds off and saw a rabbit, I took aim, squeezed a shot off and the leaves instantly exploded a tiny fraction behind it`s head, I missed :icon_redface: , - getting used to the recoil again :yes: .

So I sat at the base of some heavy undergrowth, with full gillie suit, mask, gloves, bucket seat and primos sticks. Here`s the challenging shooting I was up against,-

post-85710-0-77244800-1483208453.jpg

I chose the FWB 124 ( .177 cal) over the FWB 127 (22 cal) because of the spindle branches, and threading a shot through them ( trajectory)

The going was slow but she most certainly didn`t disappoint .

First shot was a wood pigeon approx.` 35 yds away and high up. The only presentation I got was all of it`s head, so after yesterdays practice I thought, right, I can achieve this.

I built my shot slowly, thinking of my breathing, my heartbeat and gently squeezed off my shot and followed my aim through, -- CRACK!

The pigeon fell lifeless, spiralling down for what seemed like ages. It landed breast up, so I gave my GSP the fetch command and he instantly returned with it to hand,- he`s a fine dog.

post-85710-0-87461000-1483209276.jpg

• Like 5

So carrying on the wait a large grey squirrel some 35 yds away sat out on a branch, totally unaware of us,- same again, built my shot, squeezed off the shot, CRACK !

It was an awesome site seeing this lifeless squirrel fall from such height. This landed white belly up so I ordered my dog in again with instant retrieve to hand.

Same again lads check out the shot placement :good: instant lights out !

post-85710-0-12108300-1483209724.jpg

Well this FWB Sport 124 classic has really impressed me this late afternoon.

atb Mark.

• Like 3

Hi Charlie,

I get on fine with both rifles. In fact I`ve had a 127 Sport since 1978.

The thing is, I`ve had a 124 Sport since last week, never had one before but it`s my first choice of the two already. I can`t get around the fact that at sub 12 ft/lbs the .177 cal by far, out performs .22 cal ( for me).

atb mark.

• Like 3

I can`t get around the fact that at sub 12 ft/lbs the .177 cal by far, out performs .22 cal ( for me).

Agreed :yes:

I do like the hit from a .22 but, using a .177 springer running in the high 11s with a lightweight pellet today has just bolstered the fact that I am a .177 man :thumbs:

You can't beat that flat trajectory and pellet speed.

• Like 3