Does anybody make theif own ammo?

If so what are the best moulds?

Any tips?

FF

I make my own 12mm with a fishing weight mould as sold on eBay for around a tenner, it makes 8/10 leads per pour can't quite remember, I have the mould in my vice and an old pan of lead on a camping stove it's basically a case of fill the mould undo the vice tap out on the side put the mould back in the vice and pour again adding more lead to the pan as and when, a 1000 balls is realistic for an afternoons casting, proshot do a proper mould for catty ammo that looks the bollacks but is a bit more expensive than the fishing moulds, personally I like 10mm lead for a normal catty and the 12 for my starship cattys

Ive got a Lee mould only 2 balls at a time ,cant remember calibre ,id guess their about 10mm ,its a bit time consuming on your own ,easier with 2 ,one with the ladle pouring ,one emptying the mould !

Greyman ,would you say your more accurate with your starship cattys ? do they give you a bit extra range?

Forget the cheap moulds on eBay there not worth the money pay a little bit more and save the hassle. Look up bean shaped lead shot mould eBay seller called mundfordmachinetooling. He use to have round ball moulds may have to contact him. Or www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk about £25. Lee moulds are great but expensive

Ive got a Lee mould only 2 balls at a time ,cant remember calibre ,id guess their about 10mm ,its a bit time consuming on your own ,easier with 2 ,one with the ladle pouring ,one emptying the mould !

Greyman ,would you say your more accurate with your starship cattys ? do they give you a bit extra range?

I would not say any better or worse than a normal catty regarding accuracy, but extra range definitely, I would probably be more accurate if I fired it more frequently, but it's a bit to pokey for the garden and a bit big for your pocket, I,m off fishing for a few days in the morning so will take one with me but last time I shot one in my garden it wrecked my target and went straight through the catch box behind as well, I,ve made both ttf and ott for flat bands also made one with 1745 tubes, you can use big elastic with a massive draw, they are great fun
  • 1 month later...

Hi

I acquired this off a lad on facebook, Think he made it in the machine shop where he worked at the time :thumbs:

iJRLouy.jpg

nHh7BbC.jpg

The only problem is that the sprues are a little short so the blade of the cutters are pushed in to the ball, I need to modify some cutters to cut with a round cut rather than flat!!

QH2SZOL.jpg

83WtWHG.jpg

They're a gnats knacker under 10mm and weigh in at this (Around 90 grains)

WwsnNN5.jpg

John :bye:

Edited by johnbaz
  • Like 1

Forget the cheap moulds on eBay there not worth the money pay a little bit more and save the hassle. Look up bean shaped lead shot mould eBay seller called mundfordmachinetooling. He use to have round ball moulds may have to contact him. Or www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk about £25. Lee moulds are great but expensive

I've just purchased one of these and they look well made. Haven't tried it yet though..