As some of you know I have got a rat problem here not loads of numbers but seeing one two or three a night I have been setting some live catch traps and had some success but then nothing so last night I watched one of the traps and saw two rats one wouldn't go near it and one sniffed it and run away fast not very good at traps so any tips would be useful thanks

Why live catch traps mate ? plus what are you trying to bait them with ? if it's early days it could just be Neophobia , but that often gets blamed for a multitude of other reasons . A job to try and help you without seeing what your upto , good luck.

The initial success was maybe young rats , they tend to be easier to catch , especially in cages.

Edited by Rowan
  • Like 1

I used the live catch traps because they were floating around the in one of my sheds Ive caught some big male rats some pregnant females that had the baby's in the trap and some young ones I have baited them with bread dog food and bacon I will get some pics up tomorrow thanks for the advice

If you really want to use traps only then some permanent tunnels set in place would help in future.

Iv got trail camera footage of rats eating every bit of bait from around cages and tunnels that have been put in their area, but refusing to go in.

• Like 2

If you really want to use traps only then some permanent tunnels set in place would help in future.

Iv got trail camera footage of rats eating every bit of bait from around cages and tunnels that have been put in their area, but refusing to go in.

ive caught the odd one in a trap with peanut butter on it , but you are right alot wont go in a cage , thats why i started using my 177 on them, ok you could be waiting around alot. But i just left them for a couple weeks , and it worked they come in the garden under the bird feeder , and mooch not really moving about , then wallop got him :thumbs: rats can be very nervy , so just chill you get them in end :yes:

Iv got some video footage on my trial cam of a mouse that refuses to touch the trap bait every night - even a bait change wont tempt it. It even sits on the back of the kness trap E and licks peanut butter off the bar and still won't touch the bait on the pedal!

Screenshot_2016-11-11-12-57-45_zpscczkxr

Here's a pic.

Shoot fooker with air rifle if ye can watch it

I not seen it in person, that pics from a trial cam I put in a fenn box. I got the bugger in the end - by putting a row of unbaited traps face on across the middle of the fenn box so when it went to climb over them it was forced to step on one of the pedals that worked on the 1st night.

I meant to put some pics on here but haven't had time I caught a large male day before yesterday I caught a large female last night and I caught a half grown one tonight I have seen at least five running all around the yard of all sizes I just can't seem to get on top of the dirty things I will get some pics tomorrow show what I'm up against

• Like 1

This is what is next door to me all the caravans are abandoned fully furnished except the big white one in the second pic there is also a block of stables some dog pens and other sheds buried in the brambles this is all within 20 feet of where I live the old man that lives there is constantly putting food out for cats and bird sead that the rats are eating I can catch a few but they keep coming back I am thinking about chucking poison over the fence