Eley Subs

Has anyone noticed these seem to be getting waxier and waxier? They always were a bit, but the latest batch seems to be more so. They've been coating the chamber of my CZ452 with wax so every now and then it almost jams the empty case in and is really hard to extract.

I realise they need some wax to stop the lead fouling the barrel too badly, but this is overkill.

A good clean up of the chamber with a brush and patches sorts it, but what a drag as I'm not a one for cleaning my rimfires.

I don't want to change ammo as they are by far the most accurate I've tried in my gun, but looks like I might have to if my cunning plan doesn't work.

I've just given 100 rounds a going over with a bit of kitchen paper. Just enough to leave a coating, but remove the excess and I could almost make a candle with what came off. :laugh: See if that sorts the extraction problems.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yep Walshie, there definitely seems to be more wax on them these days.   I found a fully tarnished round in a box the other day. It looked completely black. I thought that it was a gimmick, like Wil

And if your really lucky you might get a group of 5 on a dinner plate at yards!   Rws may be worth a try, they were extremely accurate in a couple of rifles I've had.   Winchester always used to

Mine also don't like extracting eley. All others have been sound

Yep Walshie, there definitely seems to be more wax on them these days.

I found a fully tarnished round in a box the other day. It looked completely black. I thought that it was a gimmick, like Willy Wonka and the Golden Ticket. "..... Claim you lifetime's supply of Eley Subsonics". Ever the optimist I am. :angel::laugh::laugh:

P.S. Damn, you are a good looking fella! :thumbs::laugh:

Edited by Tremo
  • Like 1

Try the CCI segmented ammo, no grease on them.

And if your really lucky you might get a group of 5 on a dinner plate at 80 yards!

Rws may be worth a try, they were extremely accurate in a couple of rifles I've had.

Winchester always used to perform well too but not quite as good as eley in any of mine.

• Like 1

Eley produce the tightest groups for my CZ, but they do seem to ricochet that bit more, winchesters drop stuff better and group not too bad for hunting.

I've had extraction problems in the past walshie, to the point i had to take empty cases out with terminal screwdrivers...frustrating when something is in the crosshairs..

I sold a load of Winchester subs to a mate a few months ago. He couldn't get his hands on any and reckoned that they were super accurate out of his CZ. Long story short ... The latest ones were the newer 42 grain ones and he found out the grouping to be horrendous with these. :icon_eek: . Crazy eh? The bizarre world of subsonic ammunition. :cray:

Tremo I am glad you said that about the new 42 grain ones, I was going to get some for my cz, my license is in for renewal at the moment,so I couldn't get some when I was in, will stick to normal winchester subs, after hearing that,my rifle did like RWS though,but it's maintaining a consistent supply, I think eleys have always been more waxy than the others, with quite a gritty powder residue, I never put them through my semi auto beacause of it, but they were good in my bolt action, I Could do with some decent high velocity rounds, but I have little experience with them , I have tried the odd box of stingers and couldn't get on with them,

I did have to re-zero for the 42grns after using 40 grn, but no great hardship , the do the job , but not quit as tight a pattern as eley I must admit . I think the fieldsports channel did a youtube video comparing 6 of the most popular .22 lr rounds.

CCI also do velociters or something like that, rws also have a high velocity lr round too but can't remember the name. A lot of the hv stuff out there isn't hp so they bounce very frequently as they are target orientated rather than for field use and can just pass straight through (I experimented with lapua standard plus in an old rifle on the bunnies but they resulted in runners from passing straight through)

If your barrel likes them, I found that high velocity rounds tend to group to your poi at 100 yards off a 50yd subsonic zero.

Obviously this is going to differ from rifle to rifle but I guess I just dropped lucky.

CB longs have the potential to be handy but in reality arent worth the lead.

Still got a few in a box here that only ever get used for rats or squirrels in the live traps. Absolute garbage through the 6 rifles I've tried them in.

Low muzzle energy

Crap trajectory

Shotgun esque grouping even at 25 / 30 yards

Tremo I am glad you said that about the new 42 grain ones, I was going to get some for my cz, my license is in for renewal at the moment,so I couldn't get some when I was in, will stick to normal winchester subs, after hearing that,my rifle did like RWS though,but it's maintaining a consistent supply, I think eleys have always been more waxy than the others, with quite a gritty powder residue, I never put them through my semi auto beacause of it, but they were good in my bolt action, I Could do with some decent high velocity rounds, but I have little experience with them , I have tried the odd box of stingers and couldn't get on with them,

Yeah, just try a box before you buy loads. You might be lucky. :thumbs:

Yeah, just try a box before you buy loads. You might be lucky. :thumbs:
will do still waiting for my ticket renewed, it's been in since June,