Beardie Vs Collie

What do you think is the diffrence between the two when it comes to using them in a lurcher? To me from what i have seen in pure working beardies and collies there is no diffrence in working ability apart from there apperance. Would be intresting to see diffrence of opinion on the topic.

Is there border in that beardie?

+2, that's what i thought , never had straight x beardiex grey, think i read there bit more head strong, than a collie x grey , more like a kelpie x grey, how do people rate the keple x grey as a lurcher , just a thought while we talking herding type xs . :hmm: i had a kelpie x border x grey bitch good day/night but nuts ended up a dangerous dog, all dogs are different suppose so might be just her when i had her .!

I've had lurchers with both beardie and a mix of beardie and border as well as one with border and kelpie...though they were all a long time ago so my memory of them could be either rose-tinted or jaded.

My memory was similar to what forest of dean redneck said above i.e. the border blood made them more likely to do exactly as they were told whereas the beardie blood made them more likely to use their own initiative (and therefore sometimes more likely to NOT do as they were told). When I got my first kelpie I naively thought they were the best of both worlds without any of the drawbacks i.e. like a beardie x border but with no beardie or border drawbacks but I now realise it's nowhere near as simple as that. :D

Incidentally, my opinion is slightly one-sided in that I've never had a lurcher without either beardie or kelpie blood i.e. only border as base blood.

Edited by Neal

I've had lurchers with both beardie and a mix of beardie and border as well as one with border and kelpie...though they were all a long time ago so my memory of them could be either rose-tinted or jaded.

My memory was similar to what forest of dean redneck said above i.e. the border blood made them more likely to do exactly as they were told whereas the beardie blood made them more likely to use their own initiative (and therefore sometimes more likely to NOT do as they were told). When I got my first kelpie I naively thought they were the best of both worlds without any of the drawbacks i.e. like a beardie x border but with no beardie or border drawbacks but I now realise it's nowhere near as simple as that. :D

Incidentally, my opinion is slightly one-sided in that I've never had a lurcher without either beardie or kelpie blood i.e. only border as base blood.

ok neal, did you think or do you think, there much differnt temp to colie xs , if so in what way .? ive always found herding types like that, they get upset very easy very sensitive dogs , even big old Buck my 1x gsd x grey the same lol, but out hunting totally different mindset , he bust a gut to catch his quarry he is bit reckless at times lol , Bryn never been like him, suppose thats why he never got knocked about lol

ok neal, did you think or do you think, there much differnt temp to colie xs , if so in what way .? ive always found herding types like that, they get upset very easy very sensitive dogs , even big old Buck my 1x gsd x grey the same lol, but out hunting totally different mindset , he bust a gut to catch his quarry he is bit reckless at times lol , Bryn never been like him, suppose thats why he never got knocked about lol

Was the bull cross you had sensitive temperament ray or was he noticeably different to Buck and Bryn?

Was the bull cross you had sensitive temperament ray or was he noticeably different to Buck and Bryn?

no gaz , not as bad mate , and i had 3 bullxgreys before and they were not as bad. dont get me wrong any dog can be sensitive mate,i had pits and staffs that were bit sensitive , my last pure pit bitch was , but like i told before when we had mooch that day, a collie x dont take alot to upset them , feck me you only have look at Bryn in a certain way, or just change your tone , he stop working. when we took him ferreting you have to make sure you didnt up set him , ask trigger he tell you the same :yes: . get Bryn in a happy mood, he was really brill at ferreting , his mark was always 100% true, and he catch some good bolters :thumbs: , but i just dont like over sensitive dogs, i think they make training that bit harder, a bold confident temp is deff alot better :yes:

• Like 1

That border is a cracker imo, do you own it mate

Ye i own the collie he is my best sheepdog ive had a litter of pups by him that are turning usefull now and the beardie is my fathers i got him her from up in scotland, he's mad on beardies.

How was the beardie to train?

I have not done anything with it as its my fathers but by the sounds of it she hasnt been to bad. She can be a bit rough at times but it can come in handy in the right spot. He has a good hand with dogs so can make a decent dog. There not as good now as they were because i do most of the sheep work now so his dont get worked as much as mine.

• Like 2

Someone on here once said if your stood on a cliff and tell the dogs to jump,the border will go straight over,the beardie will wait for you to go first. Though that was quite good.

Do you use yours on cattle as well blackdog.

As a rule no i dont because ive always been told you will ruin a good sheepdog with cows so i dont. But i whent lambing at a farm a few years ago and the dog ended up helping move cattle and he was fine with them he turned the odd heifer that tryed to make a break for it.

• Like 2