Abscess Wound, Healing Advice

Dog went lame on me around 2 weeks ago, took him to vet out of hours. Seen a lump around his neck area with a bit of fluid, gave him some Loxicom which reduced the swelling within hours. Dog was eating and drinking for 2 days so thought he's just had a bang. Next day went lame on me as though he was pissed. Felt him he was cold one minute then roasting the next, so was upto the vets on a Saturday night.

When I put him on the vets table I noticed the fluid had gone onto his chest with a red mark about 6 inches long.He had a temprature and was kept in. Next morning phoned up and they said it was an abscess and he will be kept in again. The 6 inch red mark had turned black and skin was dying, they told me it still has quite a bit of travelling to do.first of all I was told he definately needed surgery. Been back today and vet said the wound has shrunk and keep doing whatever I have been doing with him.

I have been flushing with warm salt water from a 30ml syringe, they said the skin in picture is good skin and hoping that he don't need reconstructive surgery.

One of the lads on here told me about Manuka honey, which I looked into and was impressed with the results I seen. Mentioned it to 2 of the vets and said yes it's good, but advised me to just leave things as they are. I ordered Medical Manuka honey and gauze and from what I have seen it helps speed up the proccess. Has anyone on here used it, if so what type of wounds has it been used on and did it help with the healing proccess. Any other advice to aid recovery will be appreciated.

Pic from last night

1f15ef1c-c422-40df-8296-8fff23f78d91_zps

Edited by flipbull

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's sound in himself lads he will probably be looking for some summer work at this rate ha. I don't even reckon it was a bite mate I reckon it was a scratch/claw. Don't own a bike so been renting the

Haven't been on for a while. Got to do a bit at the end of the season with him.      

Today 2 weeks after last picture

Posted Images

What do you mean by flesh bactaria and possible tracking mate. I only seen that red 6 inch mark that looked like a scrape mentioned above the night I lifted him onto the vets table, didn't notice any purple or red veins, but I am sumising that red 6 inch scratch turned black and travelled down from his chest chest. Left scratching my head what caused it, ive been through every scanario days and weeks leading up to him burning up. Vet said could possibly of been a bite from a snake???, as he had seen it before, a rat, swallowed a bit of wood ect. Couldn't see any entry wound.

Looks pretty nasty, hope you get sorted mate, proper manuka great but getting the real thing is a jackpot.

Matt

Edited to add I also think it may be some sort of bacteria tracking through the veins a bit like

C diff or other flesh eating nastiness,if it's looking better then keep up the good work mate.

• Like 2

Forget the c diff thing.....Imtalking rubbish.lol

But the flesh eating nastiness could be a possibility.

Matt

The good thing is matt the wound had has shrunk, I ain't used manuka honey (but have medical grade here) they said don't be putting it on yet just as the wound is healing great and that pink skin is good replacement skin??? I wouldn't have a clue on that one. I have only used warm salt water with a syringe and gave little blasts, she told me to keep at it?? Just what I have seen and read about Manuka makes me think it could speed up the proccess, and hopefully no reconstructive skin op.

I'm not a vet, to me that 'looks' like a bacteria infection. Tracking means moving through the veins so basically blood poisoning.

Keep at the good work mate if you notice any veins standing out red/pink/purple ish get a massive jab in the dog and rush to the vets ;)

• Like 1

Fook me mate looks f***ing nasty poor dog hope you get it sorted

Looks better than it was mate, not nice seeing your dog like that and not knowing whats caused it. Looked scrawny as fcuk when he got out the vets, but been eating well and back to normal with his weight. Plenty of lead walking ahead.

I'm not a vet, to me that 'looks' like a bacteria infection. Tracking means moving through the veins so basically blood poisoning.

Keep at the good work mate if you notice any veins standing out red/pink/purple ish get a massive jab in the dog and rush to the vets ;)

Nice one mate. They have told me to stop the antibiotics after these last 2 and keep taking the Loxicom and reduce it over time. Will keep an eye on him.

if you have trouble getting pure a manuka honey.. could try your local health shop, sometimes they sale pure RAW local honey thats not processed, think that would be the next best thing for now atb

Edited by flipbull