Pure Saluki

The problem with most the input on these saluki threads is that most who comment have not even owned one, and if they have it usually stayed around year then bred from or sold on,

Cant run in small fields , yea right :whistling:

not as fast as a lurcher, :whistling:

lack aggression :whistling:

one trick ponies :whistling:

wont come back :whistling:

stupid :whistling:

yet despite all the above statements and many others made in books on net over years the saluki still remains the oldest breed of lurcher out of them all, forget hancock plummer, THL, these dogs gave been providing man with food and sport for thousands of years, , unchanged unspoiled as there has been little need to change them, functionality is the beauty of the dog

fair does it might not come wagging its tail after you smashed it face in for missing a hare or rabbit and showing you up in front of your pals etc, but when was that a sign of being clever?

maybe its clever enough to know its owners limitations, better than they do?

if they so shit how come 100% of all coursing dogs have a massive dollop of pure blood running right thrugh em, prior to saluki's hare coursing was just that , running after hares, not much good if you want to eat but fun though

Could it not be that most lads who buy one would in reality be better off buying a coursing dog instead?

could it not be that all the ones that 'fail' where owned by the sort of muppets that fail most types of dogs they have in their care?

A lurcher is generally a blank canvas when you get it, a lot is down to what you put into it, selling at one year of age tells its own story imho was rome built in a day?

yea I think there more poor dog men that poor saluki's :thumbs:

when a dog wont return to its owner , you really have to question why? easy too blame the dog, but I doubt the dog just landed on your doorstep via the saluki stork, no most go out and buy them, once it goes tits up, its much easier to blame the dog or the breed than to try look into ourselves and improve ,I'd be ashamed if I took something bred right with years of work behind it and made a right hash of it, Id look into myself first long before blaming the rest of the world n its bother

don't get me wrong I am not claiming the super dogs or perfection itself, my first one drove me to despair like most pups do, it would of been easy to write him off and blame the breeder type of dog etc, but all it took in reality was stepping back and looking at it fom another angle and seeking advice off others , the rest just took time and patienece and likely most of my remaining hair, but most thinhgs in life dont come easy or they dont if they worth having in the first place

Best posts I've read on here for quite a while :thumbs:.

Though I have to disagree in your first post with 'prior to salukis hare coursing was just that, running after hares'. Seen plenty of greyhounds and whippet/greyhounds catching hares very regularly, and pretty damned quickly too, even with 'law' before they were slipped.

Not talking about the 200 yard slips which I've heard quoted many times in clips, but never actually seen, but probably the same as most coursing bred dogs actually get slipped at.

And anyway, you've likened salukis to lurchers, so fair law coursing isn't really in the equation.

But the rest of your posts I'm in full agreement with :thumbs:

Came across a bit wrong there I did pal, I meant the saluki blood increased the amount of dogs with the ability too kill hares regular, just like merlin and eve stuff increased the amount of dogs that kill multiple hares regular,

to my school of thought the uk saluki lurcher is just anther version of the pure saluki, focused on a different hare rabbit and deer type species in another land, needs the added bits for overall consistency and some great allround types of lurcher have contributed to that in the last forty odd years

,but I guess the pure saluki had a similar origin

Ive said it many times the pure saluki is not the ultimate dog, nothing is to be fair :thumbs: , any breed or type can chuck up the odd good or the odd good producer, but they just that one offs ,, for every one off theres a thousand potlickers same in all types of dogs

Edited by arcticgun
  • Like 1

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The problem with most the input on these saluki threads is that most who comment have not even owned one, and if they have it usually stayed around year then bred from or sold on,   Cant run in smal

Ghostly Ease?, yea I see where you coming from with that phrase mate, when they flat out in pursuit they make it look so effortless, really graceful, a real pleasure to watch, kill or no kill, its the

listen it's simple , The Fact you only said you had not got a running dog after I put the offer out there shows your a talker like I already stated. I'm still willing to run your dogs with my dogs. On

Posted Images

The problem with most the input on these saluki threads is that most who comment have not even owned one, and if they have it usually stayed around year then bred from or sold on,

yet despite all the above statements and many others made in books on net over years the saluki still remains the oldest breed of lurcher out of them all, forget hancock plummer, THL, these dogs gave been providing man with food and sport for thousands of years, , unchanged unspoiled as there has been little need to change them, functionality is the beauty of the dog

fair does it might not come wagging its tail after you smashed it face in for missing a hare or rabbit and showing you up in front of your pals etc, but when was that a sign of being clever?

if they so shit how come 100% of all coursing dogs have a massive dollop of pure blood running right thrugh em, prior to saluki's hare coursing was just that , running after hares, not much good if you want to eat but fun though

Could it not be that most lads who buy one would in reality be better off buying a coursing dog instead?

could it not be that all the ones that 'fail' where owned by the sort of muppets that fail most types of dogs they have in their care?

A lurcher is generally a blank canvas when you get it, a lot is down to what you put into it, selling at one year of age tells its own story imho was rome built in a day?

ill put land on Jan Ritch on some good fen land show me a gooden
:laugh::laugh: Mr Powers me owld pal :boogy: this hot weather not doing you any favours, Mr I'm going to be nice from now on :whistling:

the fishing section few sections down from here :victory:

you know I will come down, no chew, Ive nowt too hide but you know that :thumbs: , hopefully the dog will have a good day :victory: well thats if we actually get a winter :hmm:

u don't bite so easy

itz coz I is well chilled out man :laugh:

• Like 1

ill put land on Jan Ritch on some good fen land show me a gooden
:laugh::laugh: Mr Powers me owld pal :boogy: this hot weather not doing you any favours, Mr I'm going to be nice from now on :whistling:

the fishing section few sections down from here :victory:

you know I will come down, no chew, Ive nowt too hide but you know that :thumbs: , hopefully the dog will have a good day :victory: well thats if we actually get a winter :hmm:

u don't bite so easy
itz coz I is well chilled out man :laugh:
i bet

you know it :victory: beats the s#it out of fishing on here though, :tongue2: you get any more hard up for kicks you be in the airgun section next lol

I see dogs a lot like I see people as individuals and not races or breeds, I'm not kennel blind to saluki's I just happen to like them, if I only wanted a dog for hare coursing comps only I would be more inclined to buy a lurcher, and that's something Ive told anyone who has asked me for a pure pup over the years, other wise its like having a girl and wishing it was a boy, its just not going to happen, :laugh:

Edited by arcticgun
  • Like 1

Never owned a saluki or even saluki blooded lurcher but I've seen some a while back that would fill a very large freezer indeed and would do a good job protecting the flock,as good an all-rounder as many would want or need.

Just make sure you get the right breeding for your personal needs.

• Like 1

I've only ever bought one Saluki, I took the collar and lead, then give the dog back to the man :laugh:

The only thing I see what good a pure Saluki is good for is putting wind into a breed, what will a pure do that a grey x bull x sal won't do? Or a grey x collie x sal?

But then again if we had a desert in the middle of Yorkshire one might be handy.

There is easier dogs out there to train and run that will do more than the pure Saluki can.

Another expert who failed with one saluki so their shit LOL bull x must be your line LOL

Wind ya neck in db lol, I am no expert whatsoever, never owned a saluki but know plenty who have, and as for bull x I've only ever owned one, thats the one I have now and she only has 1/8 th in her, think before you assume eh! so seeing as you rate salukis, tell me what can they do better than a regular lurcher? they won't do rabbits as good, never seen them in the past catch hares as quick as a 3/4 bred grey, I will stand by what I said they good for one thing, breeding wind into running dogs

When you know anything about salukis and their capabilities then we can discuss you say they are shit prove it your the one making the claims.

There you go again, show me were I said salukis are shit???? I will wait for you to show me, but I can guarantee 1 thing, bring your pure bred down I won't call it shit, but I bet I can make it look shit against a running dog without saluki in it lol. Good wind and feet thats what they good for breeding into runners for

I pick the quarry and the land ?

All jokes aside DB, we can all argue black and blue on here and sound like teenage cnuts, if ever you get over the coast way bring the dog and we can have a run with dogs, or go for a shot………..but I would like to see a pure Saluki run against my 5/8 grey 1/4 deer 1/8 bull no malice just a look out with the dogs and a bit of craic, and like all lads who come here the wife will ensure you get a meal also………your call

I am always up for a walk out mate I like to see any working dog work from terrier to coursers just always had salukis myself born and bred.with them when season is going well sort a day :thumbs: computer is just the craig to me :laugh:

good, lets get winter in then come over, you can have a stalk or a run……….hope you like beans on toast the wife can't cook for shit, a few lads have been here off this site and can vouch for me…….. lamper 21 jeppi or mickmac bootsha feel free to ask ………….

just as long as it's not pork.

I've only ever bought one Saluki, I took the collar and lead, then give the dog back to the man :laugh:

The only thing I see what good a pure Saluki is good for is putting wind into a breed, what will a pure do that a grey x bull x sal won't do? Or a grey x collie x sal?

But then again if we had a desert in the middle of Yorkshire one might be handy.

There is easier dogs out there to train and run that will do more than the pure Saluki can.

Another expert who failed with one saluki so their shit LOL bull x must be your line LOL

Wind ya neck in db lol, I am no expert whatsoever, never owned a saluki but know plenty who have, and as for bull x I've only ever owned one, thats the one I have now and she only has 1/8 th in her, think before you assume eh! so seeing as you rate salukis, tell me what can they do better than a regular lurcher? they won't do rabbits as good, never seen them in the past catch hares as quick as a 3/4 bred grey, I will stand by what I said they good for one thing, breeding wind into running dogs

When you know anything about salukis and their capabilities then we can discuss you say they are shit prove it your the one making the claims.

There you go again, show me were I said salukis are shit???? I will wait for you to show me, but I can guarantee 1 thing, bring your pure bred down I won't call it shit, but I bet I can make it look shit against a running dog without saluki in it lol. Good wind and feet thats what they good for breeding into runners for

I pick the quarry and the land ?

All jokes aside DB, we can all argue black and blue on here and sound like teenage cnuts, if ever you get over the coast way bring the dog and we can have a run with dogs, or go for a shot………..but I would like to see a pure Saluki run against my 5/8 grey 1/4 deer 1/8 bull no malice just a look out with the dogs and a bit of craic, and like all lads who come here the wife will ensure you get a meal also………your call

I am always up for a walk out mate I like to see any working dog work from terrier to coursers just always had salukis myself born and bred.with them when season is going well sort a day :thumbs: computer is just the craig to me :laugh:

good, lets get winter in then come over, you can have a stalk or a run……….hope you like beans on toast the wife can't cook for shit, a few lads have been here off this site and can vouch for me…….. lamper 21 jeppi or mickmac bootsha feel free to ask ………….

just as long as it's not pork.

I think thats why he offered beans on toast :laugh: dont think you can get Halal bacon in Yorkshire :angel:

• 3 months later...

Artic just out of interest......

You say you run BOTH pures and coursing bred dogs

What differences do you find between the two?

Do you run the pures just out of interest to see how you come on.....

It's always been on my list to get a pure at some point and I suspect you reasoning why would match my own thoughts on them

I've tried hard to remember the first lurcher I saw run, I can't. But the first saluki I witnessed will stay with me forever

There was ( still maybe) a Staffordshire terrrier kennel called ghostly ease , a term that I've always associated with the saluki

It's always been on my list to get a pure at some point and I suspect you reasoning why would match my own thoughts on them

I've tried hard to remember the first lurcher I saw run, I can't. But the first saluki I witnessed will stay with me forever

There was ( still maybe) a Staffordshire terrrier kennel called ghostly ease , a term that I've always associated with the saluki

One takes a very long time to catch a hare and the other never does.....

Ghostly Ease?, yea I see where you coming from with that phrase mate, when they flat out in pursuit they make it look so effortless, really graceful, a real pleasure to watch, kill or no kill, its the chase I live for, , kills are just a target and bonus

Differences? a man I respect in the game always says the saluki lurcher is our homemade version of the pure , just taken main attributes and added a little from other breeds n lines too produce a saluki type too run top end quarry here in UK, very same way the saluki came about in the first place, first and foremost its a lurcher to provide food and sport companionship for its owner,

Whats better? I get asked that all the time, was asked just last night lol in my own personal findings its like this, if you want an out and out hare coursing dog, go buy one, a pure wont be for you and in my own personal opinion for that particular sport the saluki lurcher bred right cannot and will not be beaten, tried n failed so far lol bred n entered right the saluki lurcher is an awesome animal to watch on its natural quarry, on other types quarry they shape up incredibly well too, give any type a run for their money really hard to see past them too be fair, seen plenty take to lamp as well, good when mixed to quality bull cross lines as well, likesay really hard to see past the saluki lurcher

with regards too the pures, I really enjoy working them and its been equally frustrating and rewarding, the advice I was given at the start has really seen me right, I was told to simply take it and treat it like a lurcher, so that's what I did and to be fair its worked out ok in the longer run for me, couple of years into it I started too lamp them and that's improved the dogs no end , more work and more kills always boost confidence, and improve focus, and I think it tests the line more than simply being judged on one type of quarry,

I get out day and night with a variety of types of dogs and I cant say I'm left feeling short changed, they can hold their own no chew, as Ive always said they far from the best but likely far from the worst, they durable that's for sure I don't loose a lot of running to injuries, hopefully overtime we can improve what we have available if not I will simply enjoy what I have

parting shot is, lads are always going to use saluki to breed back too, surely its better to be able to use ones that's done something other than sit in a yard or kennel?

If you thinking of taking one on in the future mate, as long as its a pure saluki you really want, then go for it, look well into what you are buying and put the time and effort in, and fingers crossed you get a good un as a reward, imho go for largest dog or bitch in litter,

Edited by arcticgun
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1