Anybody worked with Blackthorn?

I've cut two crackers at xmas. One I think will be a traditional knob handle but the other has a natural straight crook from the branch it grew off (like an ice pickaxe) which I think I'll keep and shape a bit.

Always used hazel in the past but I think Blackthorn/Hawthorn makes for a better quality end product, so giving it a go.

Edited by Born Hunter

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eh up son. How's things. Trying you hand at the sticks are you. Done a few myself, and the best were natural root sticks from the hedgerow. Mainly ash, hazel, blackthorn and holly. Went down the rout

No son I haven't. Wish I could help. I've one last holly which is going to be a dormouse coming out of a hole . Very intricate but hopefully worth the effort. Beauty of holly is the lovely white wood

In fact, somewhere on here there is a pic post of 2 of my earliest sticks. The pheasants beak had been broken off whilst beating the dog for a bad retrieve lol.lol. Jok.

Think they called them a knobler in the past for good reason. Blackthorn is hard and heavy and to my opinion makes a lovely one piece stick. When you do the knob it tends to have a nice orange colour. Polishes great. Only thing is it needs a long time to dry. Jok.

• Like 1

Should have said. Today, managed to get a Joey. Now I've been asked to make a stick and I thought something different was in order. So.! Roe antler with thumb stick proportions and the Joey in the cut end. I reckon it'll look lovely. (Silver Sixpence). I hope Griff is reading this cause it'll be another steal. LOL. Jok

Think they called them a knobler in the past for good reason. Blackthorn is hard and heavy and to my opinion makes a lovely one piece stick. When you do the knob it tends to have a nice orange colour. Polishes great. Only thing is it needs a long time to dry. Jok.

How long do you recon they want? Hazel is alright after a year but benefits from two imo but as I said I have no experience with anything else so would appreciate your advice. There fairly sturdy too!

If you are asking me, which I think you are, 2 years is cool. Thing is, then you've to work out the straightening which means another year. The things you can get up to just getting them straight is mind boggling. Being totally honest, I think them days are gone. Reason being we are not doing it for show or to impress, rather to fulfill our own requirements. The holly I have has to be at least 10 yrs possibly double that and it looks fantastic. When I started on it, the only work was to debarked and generally shape. That ended up as a kind of hexagon. Then forget for a number of years. Well. Totally forgot. Now I'm going for it again and getting a Silver sixpence as my mark is a bonus. No one else will copy which again is cool. When the guy gets his stick, which he doesn't know anything about, I think he'll be pleased. Jok.

All good wood needs time. Ask anyone involved in furniture of related woodwork. Some of the stuff I've had on the lathe is or was probably decades old. In fact we've just, thanks to Riohog, found out about Bogoak. Now this stuff is up to 5300 years old and still needs kiln drying before you can work it. Now I know that's in the extreme but it does highlight the need for ageing. I think that hazel at 2 years is right on the button and don't imagine for 1 minute that it will bend. Go for it. Just remembered a video of a guy turning a 3 ft bowl out of green oak and that was ok. End of day you can always do another. Jok.

Yep. Good call. I just cut them long giving me plenty of work room. Never thought about ova though. Jok.

im not sure if the pva will do much.

I read that it stops the ends drying quicker, than the rest of the stick stopping splitting at the ends !

time will tell i suppose .

theres a good video on youtube of a guy heat bending the sticks with a wallpaper stripper ,worked really well .he piped it to some 6" round ducting, and put the sticks in the ducting with the steam and then he straightened them easily.

Dan

Yep. Good call. I just cut them long giving me plenty of work room. Never thought about ova though. Jok.

I read that it stops the ends drying quicker, than the rest of the stick stopping splitting at the ends !

theres a good video on youtube of a guy heat bending the sticks with a wallpaper stripper ,worked really well .he piped it to some 6" round ducting, and put the sticks in the ducting with the steam and then he straightened them easily.

Dan

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/340518-straightening-walking-sticks/

TC

Dan

Steaming wood for bending is as old as the hills so it does work

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...