Any you lads on here help me out. I have no drains in the back garden so dug a trench filled it with stone and put turf on the top but it's starting to stink the back garden out. Is there any way I can sort some decent drainage out that or am I f****d?

Any you lads on here help me out. I have no drains in the back garden so dug a trench filled it with stone and put turf on the top but it's starting to stink the back garden out. Is there any way I can sort some decent drainage out that or am I f****d?

Did you put a meter cube soak away full of rubble/gravel at the end of the trench? Also do you put in a land drain pipe in the trench?..

If not perhaps you should.

Did you put a meter cube soak away full of rubble/gravel at the end of the trench? Also do you put in a land drain pipe in the trench?..

yes put cube soak at end. I did not put land drain pipe in just gravel. Would it make much difference putting drain pipe in? Never give it a thought

yes put cube soak at end. I did not put land drain pipe in just gravel. Would it make much difference putting drain pipe in? Never give it a thought
Yes the land drain pipe will keep things flowing and stop things getting clogged up which sounds like what has happened... I haven't done one for over 20 years but that was the method we always used with no problems.

I put in a soakaway for my dog pens last summer. 3 foot deep with a soakaway pipe at the bottom sloping away and filled in with pebbles.. I swill the dog pens into it every day and Ive had no smell whatsoever so it must be the fact you havent put a pipe in and its soaking into the mud and the smell is coming from there.

• Like 1

If you are going to do a soakaway I would advise fitting a removable micro fine gauze filter that can be took out and cleaned out as I've seen loads of soakaway eventually clog up with hair.Its no fun digging up a soakaway to clear any blockages.

If you are going to do a soakaway I would advise fitting a removable micro fine gauze filter that can be took out and cleaned out as I've seen loads of soakaway eventually clog up with hair.Its no fun digging up a soakaway to clear any blockages.

Did you line the channel with tram ?

nope mate just dug a trench and filled it with gravel. I'm just going to buy some down pipe and some plastic channels and do it properly costs a few quid but at least I won't have a stinky garden