What Is It

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Metacam is an anti inflammatory and has nothing to do with treating kennel cough ... As I thought she has worked to hard and strained ... A weeks rest and she will be fine ... Just build her fitness u

Over worked the dog mate more than likely strained ventricles of the lungs ... Did she has she coughed up some phlegmy looking stuff .......

Honey won't make any difference for a strain which is why she is coughing as its not and irritating cough ... Good grub to help her heal and rest for a week and she will be back to normal ... Very rar

she was convinced it's kennel cough but i told her she don't live in a kennel she lives in the house.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hope you know the last bit was a joke.

:thumbs: Id love to see the face of the vet if you actually said that :laugh:

Most pet dog vets won't know about coughing that occurs after a hard, unexpected run. Read Socks' post: he has it right. Lungs have suffered damage to their linings not being used to hard running. At one time, when people didn't understand so much about getting a dog galloping fit, many coursing dogs coughed like that after their first few courses. Trouble is, when a dog gets an unexpected long run, heart, lungs, muscles and especially diaphragm are not toned up, conditioned to have to work so hard. Dog should come right in a few days, but watch out for excessive drinking and cramping of muscles. Sometimes the back muscles go completely solid and the dog is in a lot of pain. Just lead walk until the cough is completely gone, and then do some serious conditioning work: trotting for several miles, interspersed with some good, prolonged gallops. Even if you can get the dog cantering fast for a few miles beside a push bike, that will help.

Another old trick was to give the dog a mouthful of goose fat before a hard run: they reckoned it helped to line the throat. Not that it would do anything to help tone up the lungs, but anyone who has ever run fast, not fit, and unexpectedly, will know how sore your throat can get. That in itself can trigger coughing, almost sounding as though something is stuck in the throat.

• Like 2

it wasn't a high street vet,it's a very good animal hospital who have been good as gold with my mutts working injuries.it wasn't the run that she wasn't used to,she's out every day doing bits and peices.sometimes trotting behind my bike for 6/7 miles a couple of times a week.if fact she's run for longer than that before,i was more concerned about the tempreture of the day.told the vet about my concern about a husk and before i went i read sock's comment and told her that concern to but she said kennel cough.taken for a little walk just now and most people wouldn't notice any difference in her.

• 2 weeks later...

bad news for me today.my deerhound x bitch was p.t.s this morning.after blood tests and x rays i found out she had a diagramtic hernia which means that her diaphram had completly split the vet said her liver had found it's way into her chest cavity.surgery was an option and i would have paid whatever it costs but even if surgery was a complete success she would never work again.most likely caused by massive trauma after hitting something.even with that injury she still ran down the stairs whenever i pick up the lamp.i'm a deerhound x man but i don't think i'll ever have one again with her attitude to work.proper gutted.R.I.P WEASLE.

i always thought they were bomb proof but there just flesh and blood.every run can be there last.aint qiute sunk in yet,still expect her when i come through the door.the vet described a right mess inside her and she still come for a walk everyday and not made a sound.driving to the vets this morning i never thought this would of happened instead it cost me £450 to lose my best dog.