Honey Bees

OK Iv got honey bees in an unused chimney. Killing them is easy enough but what do I do about blocking it? Customer thinks they arrived a week ago as he was pointing a wall on side of building and would of noticed them if there longer, also a swarm was flying up the street about that time.

Re edit.

If they arrived a week ago there's no need to block. They will be consuming as much as they are foraging and it will only be a small amount of burr comb.

But. I would be checking myself rather than relying on the customers word.

He could have seen a mating swarm?

It's bloody high up. Guess I'd have to get a roofer there cos im not removing the pot!

Maybe book a roofer for the day after my visit? I said I hadn't time but he phoned me back after 6 other pest controllers said they weren't keen lol

I have a building firm do all my high access stuff for me. Or I hire a mewp but I have my IPAF.

i wouldn't be destroying and not checking. If the customer isn't willing to pay then walk away.

Surely we can't just cap off the chimney and leave an open fire place below though?

I can get a small cherry picker, if I check in the top of the chimney but can't see anything ( it may be further down) what do I do then?

I would get the customer to light a fire and their is a strong possibility the heat from the fire will drive the bees out or some no insecticidal smoke generators. Obviously that brings you no income but it resolves the problem.

Really!! A smoke generator perhaps.

Lightning a fire would be the last thing I would do on an unchecked chimney. There were two house fires reported last year due to the homeowners setting the chimneys on fire to rid themselves of bees.

In addition as has been said check your customer is right about when they arried, i know of someone who got this wrong and trying to clean up x amount of kilos of honey from a front

Drop a live chicken down it.

In addition as has been said check your customer is right about when they arried, i know of someone who got this wrong and trying to clean up x amount of kilos of honey from a front room is no fun.

Just put a couple of bears in there.

Drop a live chicken down it.

Just put a couple of bears in there.

WHICH ONE WORKS BEST??

Edited by shropshire mole