Bunny Population Up?

Rabbit population seems a bit down on my perms here in North Yorkshire. Hardly any hares about at mo either - last year I was trpiping over them! (I don't shoot hares I must add)

I'm on the northyorkshie coast and i recon the rabbit numbers are well down, i don't mind it so much though cos im

putting it down to the buzzard population!!

my mate was on for one a couple of months back, i was watching through my scope and one flew down and nicked it before he had chance to shoot it!! pmsl :laugh:

as for hares iv only seen one pair in ages!!

atb si

Same here there's lots of kites and buzzards on the land I shoot I could stand and watch them all day.

Theres a few half grown hares knocking about but after talking to 2 farmers yesterday both said there has been a big drop in hares due to liver fluke.

I'm sure the rabbits will bounce back some years have been like this.

From the bit of research I've read about liver fluke, it is becoming more prevalent due to the increase in warmer/wetter conditions. So it's looking like it'll only get a little worse, as the seasons are generally getting milder and wetter.

Exactly what they said too it's a big shame and hopefully the hares will get back to their former population soon - they are lovely to see. Usually after harvest shining the lamp about it looks like flocks of sheep in the fields there's normally so many.

• Like 1

Rabbit population seems a bit down on my perms here in North Yorkshire. Hardly any hares about at mo either - last year I was trpiping over them! (I don't shoot hares I must add)

I'm on the northyorkshie coast and i recon the rabbit numbers are well down, i don't mind it so much though cos im

my mate was on for one a couple of months back, i was watching through my scope and one flew down and nicked it before he had chance to shoot it!! pmsl :laugh:

atb si

Same here there's lots of kites and buzzards on the land I shoot I could stand and watch them all day.

Theres a few half grown hares knocking about but after talking to 2 farmers yesterday both said there has been a big drop in hares due to liver fluke.

From the bit of research I've read about liver fluke, it is becoming more prevalent due to the increase in warmer/wetter conditions. So it's looking like it'll only get a little worse, as the seasons are generally getting milder and wetter.

Rabbit numbers have increased slightly over the past few years and as already said its down to the mild winters.

But!! On land we regularly shoot the numbers are only down because we shot the majority the previous year and they haven't had the chance to recover.

What's this research about liver fluke?

Only reason I ask is I have seen loads of posts across the fb shooting groups with pictures of spotty livers from rabbits. Some of the comments have been comical with a majority of folk saying its liver fluke when it's clearly not.

In other instances folk getting the bile duct mixed up for liver fluke.

Hi moxy I know hardly know anything about liver fluke, just what I was told yesterday. Apparently they are spread by snails?

It's prevalent in most agricultural situations Tom. But more so in sheep and dairy.

I'm no expert and can only comment on what I have come across. The amount of rabbits we shoot. Trap and ferret each year which can easily be between 1 & 2k the livers with fluke are a very low percentage. But saying that I don't check every liver!

coccidiosis Is very common and not surprising to get a good few with scabby livers.

There's a few farmers I know who like to check the rabbits livers for fluke but I'm guessing that's just piece of mind to see that the vaccinations they give to the sheep are working.

lots of youngings running around on my shoot at golf course

Ive been walking my local golf course daytime lately and its teeming with rabbits but ive noticed two yellow colored rabbits and tought someone put myxi rabbits down but im sure there with they go straite to ground when disturbed but yesterday i got to about three feet away from one and it was prob the healthyst rabbit i ever seen but i guiess time will tell.

atb si

Rabbit numbers have increased slightly over the past few years and as already said its down to the mild winters.

But!! On land we regularly shoot the numbers are only down because we shot the majority the previous year and they haven't had the chance to recover.

What's this research about liver fluke?

Only reason I ask is I have seen loads of posts across the fb shooting groups with pictures of spotty livers from rabbits. Some of the comments have been comical with a majority of folk saying its liver fluke when it's clearly not.

In other instances folk getting the bile duct mixed up for liver fluke.

Don't know how to put links up etc moxy, but there are a number of studies on the internet about it. I just typed in 'how prevalent is liver fluke in hares in wet/warm conditions?' And loads of studies came up. :thumbs:

Most of it is quite heavy reading though

• Like 2

Well after joyously reporting rabbit numbers up in my area yesterday, dogs caught the first myxied up rabbit of the year last night on a little mooch around so I guess it will be back to scratching about by Autumn, only thing that seems to be on the increase year on year are the deer, and badgers, which since they are now untouchable just makes them a pain in the arse,