Handling Eu Polecats

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aye, and put up a map of where they were caught from the wild. Otherwise what you have is dark ferrets.   They are ferrets mate, they all have different traits and personalities.   If it was an ac

This lad is full EU, father is from Hungarian lines and mother is from the Rif mountains in Morocco...  

Top man in Scotland for EUs , micros , angoras surprised hes no been on busy at shows i suppose

Posted Images

Have a Jill EU here.i was very keen to have one so I spent a good few pound and travelled a good few miles to get her.if I ever tame her I think I'll join the circus as a lion tamer.shes skittish and nippy,drawing blood!so No I won't be working her and I won't be turning my young lads off by getting nailed every time they go to lift her.reasonable offers apply!lol.itd back to what I know best , good working ferret to good working ferret ,no problems.i tried it.fail!

Edited by coneykenny
  • Like 1

I'd always been of the opinion that, as ferrets were produced from pure polecat ancestors to be tamer and therefore easier to handle, using a polecat was a retrograde step in terms of having a handleable co-worker. Different I suppose if you want to keep one for the same reason that people like exotic pets but not if you want an agreeable working partner...

...then again...I can't talk as my dogs are about 5% dingo. D'oh!

• Like 1

I had a half eu jill few years back and rehomed it to as a pet because it was a pain in the arse messing around at holes and not great underneath. It went to a young girl i reckon about 13 and for months she would send are lass photos of it in the couch with her and lives in the house. It did nothing but bite me.

I reckon the two pictures are just polecat ferrets the Eu crosses ive saw where handled with welding gloves and they where built different from a ferret and they knew it they rippled with muscle and they had that look dont fcuk with me . But as said we have spent hundreds of years domesticating the wild ferret so why would we take a step backwards and undo years and years of work

One reason to take the step back is over domestication I've had ferrets that are completely useless and just sit or play on the Warren hole

That's because you have the wrong type there's too much shit being bred maybe colour wise for shows or because folk think some mug will pay the £20 or £30 each there asking on gumtree or there owner find out it's easier to breed a litter rather than get the Jill taking out of season . There's a few good working strains out there that are capable of working 4/5 shifts a week but there no passed about to the couple of hours ferreting on a Sunday afternoon ferreted

And the kits are only 13 weeks old that's why there small and have no muscle shape on them

And of course you will be able to produce the paper work for the parents if they where wild trapped polecats now being kept in captivity and being used to procure working ferrets ?

mate of mine had a proper pair he knows who he is they were twice the size of ferrets and could bite throu a welders glove lol but he had the knack of shoving a chicken leg in there gob before they got him lol :laugh:

Dogger that's got to rank close to the funniest thing I've seen and there's been a few as you know the piss taking that goes on when we go out ..? Three fields full of rabbits in twenty to fifty hole burrows and them buggers so more interested in chicken legs rather than the rabbits

The hob that was passed on was built like the brick loo was a big canny barstool and he knew it totally divernt build and style from a ferret

This is my eu polecat jill Bandit as a kit, she was 7 weeks old, she's didn't bite at all for the first few weeks then she turned savage and went through several gloves but she's calmed down to some amount after her first season but still tried to bite.

post-103325-0-67373400-1471604118_thumb.jpeg

Now though, she is generally alright to handle and can be handled without gloves but will still try and bite if given the chance and getting a locator collar on her is near impossible without getting bitten.

post-103325-0-30537500-1471604413.jpeg