heres my 1st x,as you can see he runs where ever something gets up to escape,

IMG_3644.jpg

my 2 salukis think all this fen talks a load of shit...

IMG_7672_zpssud3zuxp.jpg

he runs in forestry,

IMG_7619_zpsojazuhp8.jpg

and god knows hes paid the price at times for his endevours,but thats hunting for ye

IMG_0347_zps7evj9ddm.jpg

hes run on heather

IMG_0070_zps7aa5e530.jpg

2015_01_17_0205_zpsa0dc300f.jpg

in fact a dog should be able to run anywhere hes left loose...

though I have to admit some places are that bit iffy at times

2014_12_06_0180_zps437aff47.jpg

hows that for bowling green grounds,lol

IMG_5300_zps80c74cde.jpg

their capable of anything they tackle...

036-1.jpg

and last one of our regular spots

IMG_0695_zpszkn9ujjb.jpg

• Like 8

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this winter will be the fifth hunting season for my little bitch, theres 45 years of breeding on her dams side and the same on her sires side, iv spent a lot of time on this bitch, and had a lot of pl

Its how you fetch them on..   I run small land ,fells and moors..   Mines dynamite  

you've obviously never been if you think it's easy , it takes a special type of dog to kill down there

Posted Images

I wonder why the saluki hasn't taken off in Australia like the deerhound crosses have

Australians say there is a shortage of good Saluki stock in Australia. Though numbers are now on the shopping lists even straws are being imported. So the numbers will increase rapidly.as more folk know and see the potential and capabilities.

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 1

Deerhounds were bred for deer in the rough highland terrain.

Before most were ruined by the show folk they more than proved their worth over and over again on the quarry and terrain they were bred for.

Second guessing different pure Salukis would do the job up there better on a regular basis is well' just second guessing.

Deerhounds of today need a influx of fresh blood.

Either from Pure staying / marathon greyhound lines or from proven first cross Deerhound x Greyhounds.

Or maybe stuff like what a NE lad runs

Bull grey x Collie Grey tested to a high level

Probably a mixture of all the above.

( not inc the Saluki )

But forget putting Saluki into deerhounds to try recreate the standards of old

They would look nothing like a deerhound of old which would be Totaly defeating the object of folk who like keeping deerhounds.

Iv got nothing against Salukis ' I like them for the coursing game

Their blood comes in handy

But for me they not for recreating the Scottish Deerhound.

Get a pure greyhound out to run a Pure saluki any quarrie on any land Max you spout Greyhound track dog over this or that your the one second . guessing Coursing greyhounds had saluki blood put into them to make hunting dogs when coursing parks finished so was the pure greyhound as a viable consistent coursing dog. The same Deerhounds are no longer the chosen dog for deer are they .

Edited by desertbred

I wonder why the saluki hasn't taken off in Australia like the deerhound crosses have

how many "deerhounds " worked down under are pures? Or are their staghounds line bred deerhound crosses?

I don't think the saluki is strong enough for the quarry that's run in Australia the deerhound offers roughly the same characteristics as in endurance and hardiness but with the added bonus of size and power

how many "deerhounds " worked down under are pures? Or are their staghounds line bred deerhound crosses?

I don't think the saluki is strong enough for the quarry that's run in Australia the deerhound offers roughly the same characteristics as in endurance and hardiness but with the added bonus of size and power

How big a dog do you need ?

The deerhounds s gonna cos it aint that good at deer breeding in worse feet and more speed via greyhound been tried the results speak for themselves nobody bar a couple of Stud dog owners wants too know

What counts as tested? Mines ran all game up their season in season out just over the border right up too wick, there's only one thing up their I won't run, know plenty Scots las who lamp and big stuff not not one f them uses a deerhound

No point in trying g too recreate the wheel it's gone it's gone for a reason imho shame but functionality always outlasts beauty

• Like 2

I don't think the saluki is strong enough for the quarry that's run in Australia the deerhound offers roughly the same characteristics as in endurance and hardiness but with the added bonus of size and

In England I do sort of agree with you the saluki is a just as good as a proper deerhound and can do what the deerhound can and sometimes better but in Australia when it was legal pulling a 7 foot kangaroo or a 250 kilo pig the deerhound is a better choice than the saluki but enough about Australia back to discussing England

• Like 1

Greyhounds to listen to you are the saviour of deerhounds, coursing dogs even adding pastoral dogs. I dont need rose tinted Max Most Saluki owners in the UK are reluctant to run their dogs against line bred coursing dogs, so only a handful if that do it. However the quality of the UK bred saluki is on the up If the owners were more enthusiatic and the comps were more of open events than runs for the boys, then maybe the salukis would begin to make their mark. Most of the top dogs in coursing lines have far bigger percentage of saluki than grey in the mix why Max? Most coursing lines going out for a new injection of blood go to saluki rather than greyhound thus again increasing the percentage of saluki in the line you cant argue against facts or maybe you can Maxi boy. Your the one on about improving things i,e Deerhound by adding greyhound not me, the way to improve deer hound stock is to breed from the best pure breed deer hounds available until it gets back to its original confirmation and capabilities. I stick to pure salukis as I know the way to improve breed quality is to stay pure nothing to do with kennel blindness or rose tinted binoculars.

Edited by desertbred