Bullfighting

One of my favourite clips of Jose Tomas, The guy into the way of the samurai, the guy that takes so many risks he can be hard to watch and why people paid €1,500 for €50 tickets to see him.

This starts again with an untouched bull meeting a man with only a cape, no sword, no nothing , just skill and experience. It moves on to him working the bull with the smaller cape, keeping a massive bull as close as possible, getting between the bull and the cape to try and encourage it's stuttered charges.

He makes a mistake it gores him through the stomach and he lies unconscious on the ground. The he goes all Jose Tomas on it.

• Like 2

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But that isn't what they do. Bull comes in untouched and meets a man who only has a cape. Nothing else. He turns it a few times. Then the Picador comes in on a protected horse. The bull is brought

They've made big changes with the horses, with the padding now used and kelvar I've never seen a horse injured. Picadors work with the same few horses throughout the season. If a horse was stressed it

if people want to brand them like hero's that's up to them......i can't see anything manly about sticking half a dozen spears into an animal and letting it suffer until it can't move any more... i do

Posted Images

Is there any modern reading on the subject that you'd recommend?

Here has some good stuff too and some not so good

http://www.thelastarena.com/

I have mentioned in this column beforethe fatal goring of Paquirri, matador father to my matador friend, Cayetano Rivera Ordóñez, who is also great grandson of Cayetano Ordóñez, Hemingway’s idol in his letters. Josephs, however, focuses on the death of the matador that killed the bull that killed Paquirri.

Two years later exactly that happened: he had fought a bull with courage and style and entered to kill with honour, going over the horns with the sword in a move which would have guaranteed a triumph and two ears of the bull. However, even as the bull was dying, it charged the retreating matador, who misjudged the distance he needed to move his muleta to distract it. As a result, it’s left horn caught him in the leg, tossing him in the air. Then, when he landed on the floor and began to roll away as all toreros do, the bull came upon him again, and slid that same left horn between his ribs and lifted him gently to his feet. As it withdrew its horn and he began to walk away, Yiyo’s banderillero heard him say, “he has killed me.” He made it seven paces: you can count them here.

José Cubero, El Yiyo, one of the most promising of the young toreros of the early 80s, often called the Prince of Toreo [bullfighting], said in a radio interview in 1983, that he often thought of death at the moment of turning out the light on his night-table. ‘I think a horn will rip out my heart, but I always respond to the nightmare with “So what?” I am a torero and my father passed along the vice in my blood.

It seems such a waste of a life, and yet Yiyo, speaking of seeing his friend Paquirri die 1984, “to die bullfighting is the most beautiful end for those of us dedicated to this profession.”

Edited by Bryan

Is there any modern reading on the subject that you'd recommend?

Here has some good stuff too and some not so good

http://www.thelastarena.com/

I have mentioned in this column beforethe fatal goring of Paquirri, matador father to my matador friend, Cayetano Rivera Ordóñez, who is also great grandson of Cayetano Ordóñez, Hemingways idol in his letters. Josephs, however, focuses on the death of the matador that killed the bull that killed Paquirri.

Two years later exactly that happened: he had fought a bull with courage and style and entered to kill with honour, going over the horns with the sword in a move which would have guaranteed a triumph and two ears of the bull. However, even as the bull was dying, it charged the retreating matador, who misjudged the distance he needed to move his muleta to distract it. As a result, its left horn caught him in the leg, tossing him in the air. Then, when he landed on the floor and began to roll away as all toreros do, the bull came upon him again, and slid that same left horn between his ribs and lifted him gently to his feet. As it withdrew its horn and he began to walk away, Yiyos banderillero heard him say, he has killed me. He made it seven paces: you can count

José Cubero, El Yiyo, one of the most promising of the young toreros of the early 80s, often called the Prince of Toreo [bullfighting], said in a radio interview in 1983, that he often thought of death at the moment of turning out the light on his night-table. I think a horn will rip out my heart, but I always respond to the nightmare with So what? I am a torero and my father passed along the vice in my blood.

It seems such a waste of a life, and yet Yiyo, speaking of seeing his friend Paquirri die 1984, to die bullfighting is the most beautiful end for those of us dedicated to this profession.

Thanks Bryan.......

Seville is somewhere I've wanted to get down to for a while & always imagined it would a great place to watch the bullfighting. Have you ever been?

The artwork is something I've always admired as well......

post-89484-0-13271400-1467707149.jpg

I've been at few in Seville. Stunning city and old town you can spend a few days walking around. It's held in the heart of the city and there's loads of great bars and restaurants around it. It's worth going a few hours early to see the crowds and enjoy a few beers and tapas.

post-2854-0-56548200-1467714698_thumb.jpg

Escribano in Seville last season, the guy that was had his femoral artery torn 10 days ago.

post-2854-0-06249800-1467714736_thumb.jpg

post-2854-0-13217600-1467714784_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 6

Late september is nice there as it's not too hot for us northeners :thumbs:

Both days has very, very good guys. Roca rey is the 19 year old trying to make a name for himself and Morante on a good day is super artistic.

The second day Mazanares can do some amazing stuff and Lopez was one of best up and coming matadors last season.

http://www.ticketstoros.com/

• Like 1

Both days has very, very good guys. Roca rey is the 19 year old trying to make a name for himself and Morante on a good day is super artistic.

The second day Mazanares can do some amazing stuff and Lopez was one of best up and coming matadors last season.

Iv never seen morante on a good day. I don't have time to wait for some artist to decide he's going to make an effort. The first time I saw him he had to get the riot police into the ring to get him out safely, people were tearing the ring to pieces to throw at him...think that was algeciras.

Iv never seen morante on a good day. I don't have time to wait for some artist to decide he's going to make an effort. The first time I saw him he had to get the riot police into the ring to get him out safely, people were tearing the ring to pieces to throw at him...think that was algeciras.

That sounds like something worth seeing!!!

Roca Rey will carry the day.