Boxing Weigh In

I know a lad who trains with conor mcgregor and he is one weight class above mcgregor but he said technically mcgregor should be fighting at his weight but the fact is conor was able to shed large amounts of weight without effecting his striking power or energy levels and other fighters including himself would be weak as a kitten if they cut the same amount so it would effect fighters differentally, as said gnasher would explain it but it boils down to the big man trying to cut as much as he can to face smaller men and gain an advantage.

• Like 1

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its pretty much all been covered already.....but the weight a fighter gains between weighing in and fighting is the weight he will be working off during the fight....all fighters lose weight during a

Im not talking about later in the day or a few hours after the weigh in.....im talking about f****n off these 30 minute ring entrances and getting the weigh in done with the introductions......as in h

Mayfield was a great conditioner in his day but would be left behind in todays times back then the idea was drying a dog out would create more haemoglobin in the blood which using dex or azium would c

I know a lad who trains with conor mcgregor and he is one weight class above mcgregor but he said technically mcgregor should be fighting at his weight but the fact is conor was able to shed large amounts of weight without effecting his striking power or energy levels and other fighters including himself would be weak as a kitten if they cut the same amount so it would effect fighters differentally, as said gnasher would explain it but it boils down to the big man trying to cut as much as he can to face smaller men and gain an advantage.

You usually find people who fight a lot heavier than they weigh in have short careers.

McGregor's huge for his weight class,but imo he won't do well without his size advantage as he can't lose as much anymore.

Diego Corrales i remember was about 6 foot at lightweight,and he just seemed to reach a point where he couldn't dehydrate so much and went up the weight classes sharply without ever having near the same success.

The same with Hatton,he obviously had other bad habits though.

You usually find people who fight a lot heavier than they weigh in have short careers.

McGregor's huge for his weight class,but imo he won't do well without his size advantage as he can't lose as much anymore.

Diego Corrales i remember was about 6 foot at lightweight,and he just seemed to reach a point where he couldn't dehydrate so much and went up the weight classes sharply without ever having near the same success.

Mcgregor days at featherweight are done. As for welterweight he isn't big enough or powerful enough to hang with guys like Lawler, hendricks, condit ,matt brown etc

Can see him fitting in at lightweight dunno how he will do though.

he did look very gaunt in some of his fights at lower weight but he still cleaned up that division i think the chap i was talking to was right he would be found wanting at bigger weights but hes still a world champ he obviously had ability to go with the fact that he could cut weight its better to be a champ at lighter weights than a chump at bigger weights who wouldnt swap places with him unless your nate diaz.

i think it's all pointless to dehydrate yourself just to make the weight.....only to put it all back on to fight.....what's wrong with..if you weigh 12 stone naturally....weigh in at 12 stone, and box at 12 stone....it's not rocket science is it....

You don't get it. Fighters do it so come fight night they are the bigger and stronger man, they look for every advantage possible.

Mcgregor days at featherweight are done. As for welterweight he isn't big enough or powerful enough to hang with guys like Lawler, hendricks, condit ,matt brown etc

he did look very gaunt in some of his fights at lower weight but he still cleaned up that division i think the chap i was talking to was right he would be found wanting at bigger weights but hes still a world champ he obviously had ability to go with the fact that he could cut weight its better to be a champ at lighter weights than a chump at bigger weights who wouldnt swap places with him unless your nate diaz.

He's lost a big advantage in having to go up in weight,but he's a very rich man now and if he wants it enough he can have the best camp/coaches/dieticians/PEDs etc and still be up there at the higher weights imo

He's lost a big advantage in having to go up in weight,but he's a very rich man now and if he wants it enough he can have the best camp/coaches/dieticians/PEDs etc and still be up there at the higher weights imo

Maybe he was on PED's at Featherweight, I'm sure they enable you to perform better at a lower body weight than being natural.

Its pretty much all been covered already.....but the weight a fighter gains between weighing in and fighting is the weight he will be working off during the fight....all fighters lose weight during a fight,if he hasnt rehydrated his body correctly he then hasnt got the weight to come off during the fight hence leaving himself raw and in a vulnerable position physically.....also as has been said the brain injuries that often occur are due to the lack of fluid surrounding the brain.....again due to dehydration......the brain sits in a pocket of fluid that acts as a cushion for the brain a bit like a shock absorber......without it the brain can rock the skull and cause a bleed.

They now do check weights at certain points before the fight from a month out down to a week......and also a check weigh in between weighing in and fighting but all the organisations make different allowances i was with Kevin Mitchell last year when he made the weight but failed the pre fight check weight because we was going by the wrong rehydration allowance of 10% instead of 5% i think it was as all the sanctioning bodies have different rules.

Fighters today are in no position to fight when weighing in,you could walk up and virtually push them over they are boiled down so much..... ive said for a long time now id like to see fighters weigh in......in the ring before a fight !........nobody would get on the scales in an unhealthy dehydrated condition if they had to fight straight after......and you would be forced to fight at your true weight...............but..........if a fighter does happen to miss the weight then you have an arena full of spectators with no fight to watch so thats why it will never happen.......making weight is an art......but dependant on body type very much open to abuse.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 2

Thing is there will have been hundreds of fights won and lost over the years due to weight problems and not just down to one fighter being better or worse.

Rumours are Tommy Hearns lost the first fight to Sugar Ray Leonard due to being underweight, Hearns came in a full 2lb under the 147lb Welterweight limit. For a man of his height there's no wonder it had an impact on the fight. Same with Donald Curry, Lloyd Honeyghan fought a great fight when he shocked the world but apparently Curry was killing himself making the weight.

I agree with Gnasher, weights should be taken 1 hour before a fight maximum. The likes of Canelo and co are pathetic, he's a lot closer to the weight of GGG than he is to the opponents he has faced before yet doesn't want any part of him.

Its pretty much all been covered already.....but the weight a fighter gains between weighing in and fighting is the weight he will be working off during the fight....all fighters lose weight during a fight,if he hasnt rehydrated his body correctly he then hasnt got the weight to come off during the fight hence leaving himself raw and in a vulnerable position physically.....also as has been said the brain injuries that often occur are due to the lack of fluid surrounding the brain.....again due to dehydration......the brain sits in a pocket of fluid that acts as a cushion for the brain a bit like a shock absorber......without it the brain can rock the skull and cause a bleed.

They now do check weights at certain points before the fight from a month out down to a week......and also a check weigh in between weighing in and fighting but all the organisations make different allowances i was with Kevin Mitchell last year when he made the weight but failed the pre fight check weight because we was going by the wrong rehydration allowance of 10% instead of 5% i think it was as all the sanctioning bodies have different rules.

Fighters today are in no position to fight when weighing in,you could walk up and virtually push them over they are boiled down so much..... ive said for a long time now id like to see fighters weigh in......in the ring before a fight !........nobody would get on the scales in an unhealthy dehydrated condition if they had to fight straight after......and you would be forced to fight at your true weight...............but..........if a fighter does happen to miss the weight then you have an arena full of spectators with no fight to watch so thats why it will never happen.......making weight is an art......but dependant on body type very much open to abuse.

Then the same applies for same day weigh in's doesn't it?

No-ones going to try and fight even 4 rounds weak as kitten from dehydration.

The only upside I can think of is it gives fighters a chance to make the weight the next day or later the same day if they're over.

i think it's all pointless to dehydrate yourself just to make the weight.....only to put it all back on to fight.....what's wrong with..if you weigh 12 stone naturally....weigh in at 12 stone, and box at 12 stone....it's not rocket science is it....

if your opponent is doing it you must do it. What's there not to get? If you want to box at twelve stone, accept a fight at the 11 stone division because if you don't you'll fight someone heavier than you.

Then the same applies for same day weigh in's doesn't it?

No-ones going to try and fight even 4 rounds weak as kitten from dehydration.

The only upside I can think of is it gives fighters a chance to make the weight the next day or later the same day if they're over.

Im not talking about later in the day or a few hours after the weigh in.....im talking about f****n off these 30 minute ring entrances and getting the weigh in done with the introductions......as in hearing the first bell within 5/10 minutes of weighing in.........miss the weight and lose your purse........simple.

• Like 2

Thing is there will have been hundreds of fights won and lost over the years due to weight problems and not just down to one fighter being better or worse.

Rumours are Tommy Hearns lost the first fight to Sugar Ray Leonard due to being underweight, Hearns came in a full 2lb under the 147lb Welterweight limit. For a man of his height there's no wonder it had an impact on the fight. Same with Donald Curry, Lloyd Honeyghan fought a great fight when he shocked the world but apparently Curry was killing himself making the weight.

I agree with Gnasher, weights should be taken 1 hour before a fight maximum. The likes of Canelo and co are pathetic, he's a lot closer to the weight of GGG than he is to the opponents he has faced before yet doesn't want any part of him.

FIghts have always been lost on the scales its nothing new.......its the amount that fighters can now drop.......and that just go,s hand in hand with todays understanding of sport science and nutrition you cant stop progress you have to bring new rules out to compliment fighters evolving in a sport thats standing still in my opinion.

Edited by gnasher16

I'd double like your post about weighing in the ring gnasher if I could, makes so much sense and overall has to be safer for the lads in the ring,

Just makes sense all round dont it Baz.......i was in the company of someone quite high up in British boxing a while ago and put it to him........the answer i got was no promoter would risk the mayhem of a fight not going ahead once the paying customers were in the door should a fighter miss the weight.

Edited by gnasher16

thats all well and good so long as the guy your fightin aibt 13st. At the pinnacle of sports the little advantages can be what decides it there is an obvious advantage in being the bigger man in boxing so theyll do whatever they can. I think some careers would be non-existent if not for their weight cutting abillities and others would of becone legends if they could/would of cut the weight properly.