Bedlington Terrier

Has anyone ever used a full bedlington for bushing? What were they like?

iv seen plenty work some KC dogs hybrid dogs both border and fell types at work and most will rat hunt bush but out of what iv seen only a small amount want it in the ground but i do know afew decant lads than got then in the ground also the honest answer is they'll work like any other type of terrier given the chance you pay your pound you take your chance the ones iv got here are hybrids and they work very well for the tarrain I go on . But for me the biggest problem with bedlingtons for bushing is they can throw a delft ear and can hold a line which isn't great if your out on rabbits and a deer gets up or a fox if your like myself driving foxes to standing guns a fair way out or working them on couples checking earth's then its not a problem .

Mortons wright about people breeding shite labeling them works but what he's failed to mention is its the same in other breeds black us borders lakelands Russells it's going on in all breeds and I think in fairness most would do just fine as bushers so dont be put off by people negotivety regarding sourcing working bred animals just have a good look around don't rush anything and don't be afraid to ask to see the parents working no matter the quarry do your home work as you would any other breed have a read on forums send afew PMs ATB RT

Edited by russell tuck
  • Like 6

Seen a few good ones .great foxing bitch called treacle up in Cumbria .real grafter.but same again would through a deaf lug on you.another dog called piper .real animal of a dog .if he got to Fox underground it was in serious trouble .had a bite like a crocodile.

Piper was bred down here if its the same one , good in the ground but not cover work and a twat for scrapping, got some pics some where of him after a dig. I have both in the blood lines of my beddys .
yea ratch it out mate. See if it's same dog.be about 16 years ago .

Bred in glynneath by Alun Evans, went up to cumbria to B H then came back down for a few seasons and saw a fair bit of work to fox. Was a pest for scapping lurchers so went up to Halifax, . Treacle I will dig up the lines as ive just moved house and my anorak stuff is boxed some where.
does your stuff go back to treacle stuff mate ?

Yes, the bitch could hunt a line like a hound and half decent in the rock pile so I was told, got lost whilst in pup.

Yes mate .seen the bitch myself.Brian lost it on a every day walk .he was sick as a chip.he had another good bitch called whisp.

I know of a couple of lads years ago who's beddys just seemed to disappear off the face of the earth despite exstensive searches for them wile out hunting.

Been thinking about taking on a bedlington for a while now. But one of the things that keeps cropping up is that people saying about them throwing 'a deaf ear' when on a hot scent/line. Is that down to 'maybe' the hound ancestry from years back, which I've read a few times, or just a typical terrier trait? Not had much to do with terriers, and only owned one, a russell bitch, in my life, about 40 years ago lol

Been thinking about taking on a bedlington for a while now. But one of the things that keeps cropping up is that people saying about them throwing 'a deaf ear' when on a hot scent/line. Is that down to 'maybe' the hound ancestry from years back, which I've read a few times, or just a typical terrier trait? Not had much to do with terriers, and only owned one, a russell bitch, in my life, about 40 years ago lol

Ive put 1 Bedlington dog in a pet home because in 2 years i could not control its hunting behaviour,if it scented quarry that did not range far,rodents,it was never a problem,the scent of bambi or fox and the mutt was often lost,2 days once.Ive never had the problem with many,many others.A busher needs far more education and training than any terrier worked solely from a leash,the main reason for a deaf terrier is a lack of stewardship and early education.Bedlingtons are far less prone to ignore command than say a Lakey,ive often had a far harder time attempting to educate a Lakey,Bedlingtons are usually a switched on and easily trainable terrier,on the whole.Its again the kennel they are sourced from,many are bred to win ribbons and earn the owner dollar,its a job to train them to behave like a worker,a working bred Beddy as an head start on the usual mutts that masquerade under the Beddy monicur.

• Like 1

Ive put 1 Bedlington dog in a pet home because in 2 years i could not control its hunting behaviour,if it scented quarry that did not range far,rodents,it was never a problem,the scent of bambi or fox and the mutt was often lost,2 days once.Ive never had the problem with many,many others.A busher needs far more education and training than any terrier worked solely from a leash,the main reason for a deaf terrier is a lack of stewardship and early education.Bedlingtons are far less prone to ignore command than say a Lakey,ive often had a far harder time attempting to educate a Lakey,Bedlingtons are usually a switched on and easily trainable terrier,on the whole.Its again the kennel they are sourced from,many are bred to win ribbons and earn the owner dollar,its a job to train them to behave like a worker,a working bred Beddy as an head start on the usual mutts that masquerade under the Beddy monicur.

Thanks for that :thumbs:

Ive got one shaark coming up 10 years old. Only used him for bushing out for the lurcher before her demise. Catches a bit of fur and feather now and again. Great marking dog for ferreting. Bomb proof temperament a bit stubborn early doors but no real problems on the obedience side of things. Just kept on top of him works close. Suits me for what i do which is mainly ferreting as no running dogs allowed on the land.

ferretingpics598_zps8d891f67.jpg

Edited by darbo
  • Like 7

Ive got one shaark coming up 10 years old. Only used him for bushing out for the lurcher before her demise. Catches a bit of fur and feather now and again. Great marking dog for ferreting. Bomb proof temperament a bit stubborn early doors but no real problems on the obedience side of things. Just kept on top of him works close. Suits me for what i do which is mainly ferreting as no running dogs allowed on the land.

Yeah if I do get one it wouldn't be used much at all as a digging dog anyway. Gone past the regular lamping sessions a good while ago, so a daytime dog will be of far more use and enjoyment to me, and bedlingtons have been appealing to me more as time goes on. My son has his two lurchers anyway, so that side of things is covered.

A dog to have a few days out through the season with, but more of a pet/companion will suit me these days. Yours sounds a tidy little dog :thumbs:

Yeah if I do get one it wouldn't be used much at all as a digging dog anyway. Gone past the regular lamping sessions a good while ago, so a daytime dog will be of far more use and enjoyment to me, and bedlingtons have been appealing to me more as time goes on. My son has his two lurchers anyway, so that side of things is covered.

A dog to have a few days out through the season with, but more of a pet/companion will suit me these days. Yours sounds a tidy little dog :thumbs:

He suits me for what i do these days shaark. im in my 50s now a couple of ferreting sessions a week and a mooch about. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Agree with everything said. I've not seen dogs hunt like them on top but can be deaf when on scent especially bambis. Put some time into them and keep them close and you will have a decent animal if bred right.

• Like 1