3 Blanks In A Row.

Yep, that's right, my last 3 trips out have resulted in exactly f**k all. 3 visits to the rugby club in 2 weeks and, there's just as many rabbits as when I went last Tuesday.

There's been opportunities on every visit. My rifle's good. My pellets are spot on. The NV is working exactly as it should.

I've been shooting this permission for a year now so, I know it well.

I don't normally go on a Monday night but, after such a crap day at work yesterday, I needed to unwind.

First go - 2 rabbits close together, 40ish yrds. I creep round the tree line, get down, choose the big 'un, rifle on the bipod, nice and steady, fire miss.

Ok, move on to the next bit.....

1 rabbit, just inside the tree line, on the bank. I walk to within 25 yrds. He's a happy bunny, sat cleaning himself. He's at about the same height as my chest. Put the rifle on the shooting stick, nice and steady, crosshairs just behind the eye - Fire, miss.

Hmm, ok, onto the next bit - the long bank along the back of the club. It's a good 6ft high, flattening out into a deep treeline.

These rabbits are always very skittish. The 2 that I spot, run into the trees before I can get anywhere near but, I can still see 1 eye shine about 15yrds in.

I creep halfway up the bank, put the rifle on the stick. He's right there - less than 20yrds away, sat facing me, next to a bush. I aim right between his eyes, fire, and another bloody miss.

So, by now, it should be 3 in the bag. I'm starting to wonder what the hell's going on and, getting a little pissed off. Grrr

I walked back down the bank and had a quick scan along the bottom of it - There's another one, around 50yrds off. Right, focus, crouching low, creeping along the bottom of the bank, I took 20 steps. It's still happily munching grass.

I've been quiet, it's dark, the wind is right, the rabbit's relaxed. I line up the crosshairs, this must be the one, fire, miss.

He hopped to the foot of the bank and stopped. A quick reload, crosshairs steady, fire, miss.

He hopped halfway up the bank and stopped. Again, quick reload, he's sat still, aim again, fire, miss.

He legged it into the trees and disappeared.

That was it - I'd had enough. Stuff that. I really didn't want to play anymore.

On my way off the field, to check my rifle, I lined up on a goal post at 40ish yrds. I hit the post and cross bar easily with both shots so, nothing wrong with my kit. It's all down to me.

The first 2 nights were ok, these things happen but, for some reason, last night really got on my tits.

I've been thinking about it today while I was working. I reckon the best thing to do is go straight back out tonight - relax and enjoy it. Perhaps I was just in totally the wrong frame of mind last night.

I've checked my rifle and fired a couple of mags today - it's spot on.

Just one more thing to go and do.......... Hopefully I'll have a better write up and some pictures tomorrow morning.

Atb

• Like 1

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oops, sorry mate - it's .177.  Yes, when using a bipod, either bench or prone, I'm still putting 14 shots well within a 5p sized group.   I will give oiling the face of the mag a go. I must admit,

Make some of these   and go in the day light before you go shooting and plce them out up to 50,,,,,60 yards   starting from 10 yrds up over paced or with a range finder   you will need the high

Yep, that's right, my last 3 trips out have resulted in exactly f**k all. 3 visits to the rugby club in 2 weeks and, there's just as many rabbits as when I went last Tuesday.   There's been opportun

Posted Images

It's OK saying "shit happens" but it's not supposed to with today's kit.

Clearly you know your ground but in my experience it's not enough with NV. You really have to know the range down to a T.

I've lost count of how many easy sitting rabbits I thought were 35 yarders, squeezed the shot off and saw the pellet miss through the NV screen, to the point, one night that I could have happily drop kicked it into the next field...truly!

I didn't really get out enough with it as I like daytime and last light hunting the most so my suggestion is keep on and keep on practicing so you don't rip it off the scope and try and spear the next unsuspecting coney with it the next time you miss!

If your out tonight with it, try static hunting rather than walking up on them pal so you know your range is pretty much bang on when they emerge from cover. That way, if you miss, you know it's not down to range. Good luck with it pal and keep us posted. And remember....it's an NV not a javelin????

• Like 1

Jon get a lazer mounted on the scope and set to your zeroed range

I to think your miss judging distance

But to be truthful , I was never no good a it , in fact crap would be a Better word

There are several ways to help with distance at nite

Atb

• Like 1

I've a feeling your rangefinding isn't Much kop

If I was on any other ground, I'd be inclined to agree with you, especially as I'm shooting at night on a heads-up screen.

But, this permission was hard to get. It went to a committee and I had to meet with the chairman and grounds keeper. They laid down some pretty strict rules. It's a good permission and I've been successful with it.

One of the first things I did was visit with a LRF and note pad.

The whole ground is covered in while-lined piches, the archery field is marked by posts every 10yrds, the 2mtr high perimiter fence has regularly spaced posts.

Who knows? Maybe it's a couple of off days. Maybe I need to go back for a refresh during the day. Maybe I just need to belt up :)

• Like 1

Now I will say from the start that I am not an experieced air gun hunter but whilst on holiday I was walking in the woods after squirrels and free standing as I had not taken my trigger sticks so a bit of a disadvantage to say the least. After missing two, I found myself testing my ability or lack of it shooting at a few empty 12 gauge cartridge cases with an interesting outcome, I was shooting to the right.

A quick check resting on a tree showed all was spot on but for some reason I was applying too much pressure on the trigger at second stage causing me to flinch to the right, perhaps trying too hard. I had been clay shooting earlier that day and my Berretta DT10 has a light trigger pull but nowhere near as light as my HW100 so in my case I think swapping guns could have been to blame rather than my free standing shooting capability............okay I lie.

Phil

I know you know this already but just treat her like you would treat a springer. Even though there should be no recognisable recoil with your 100 shoulder it light and I try to totally relax the muscles in my upper arm and forearm and just use your tendons in effect to pull your index finger through the shot. Easier said than done with twitchy skittish rabbits about to dive into the nettles I know but it seems to work.

Make some of these

and go in the day light before you go shooting and plce them out up to 50,,,,,60 yards

starting from 10 yrds up over paced or with a range finder

you will need the high vis strips of an old jacket or high vis vests

there mint for nv they glow in the nv spot on for judging distance

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

post-63400-0-91107400-1464123031_thumb.jpg

post-63400-0-39244500-1464123053_thumb.jpg

post-63400-0-04959400-1464123067_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

What rifle and calibre are you using for this Jon ?

Secondly, is your rifle zeroed off the sticks ? or off a bench ? - sitting or standing ?

I was using my HW100kt. It's zeroed on a bipod, off a bench, while I'm sitting, at 30yrds.

Jon get a lazer mounted on the scope and set to your zeroed range

I to think your miss judging distance

But to be truthful , I was never no good a it , in fact crap would be a Better word

There are several ways to help with distance at nite

Atb

Cheers David.

I've been thinking about this since you mentioned it in anothe post a couple of days ago. I can see the sense in it.

I think I've got a laser here somewhere.

It's OK saying "shit happens" but it's not supposed to with today's kit.

Clearly you know your ground but in my experience it's not enough with NV. You really have to know the range down to a T.

I've lost count of how many easy sitting rabbits I thought were 35 yarders, squeezed the shot off and saw the pellet miss through the NV screen, to the point, one night that I could have happily drop kicked it into the next field...truly!

I didn't really get out enough with it as I like daytime and last light hunting the most so my suggestion is keep on and keep on practicing so you don't rip it off the scope and try and spear the next unsuspecting coney with it the next time you miss!

If your out tonight with it, try static hunting rather than walking up on them pal so you know your range is pretty much bang on when they emerge from cover. That way, if you miss, you know it's not down to range. Good luck with it pal and keep us posted. And remember....it's an NV not a javelin????

That's exactly what I felt like doing with it :D I won't though - my daughter likes to use it and, the missus would go mental if had to pay out for a new one.