Hm Forces Gypsy

Sprivying, I take it that's painting barns with tar.

Reminds me of a traveler I used to drink with, he had family that emigrated to Australia. They made a living traveling around the country spraying barns with silver paint.

Carrying on with a line of familar work and traveling a vast country, must be heaven for them.

Sprivying, I take it that's painting barns with tar.

Reminds me of a traveler I used to drink with, he had family that emigrated to Australia. They made a living traveling around the country spraying barns with silver paint.

Carrying on with a line of familar work and traveling a vast country, must be heaven for them.

a lot of the barn sprayers have moved abroad to Australia Canada the states so on not a bad life ?
  • Like 1

It funny, and I would be interested to see if Marshman thinks the same, but when I grew up Traveller people (not Irish) were never really thought of as much different to anyone else.

If anything saying someone was a traveller boy was a mark of assurance, as in "he's a nice man, a traveller boy" meant that he was a stand up bloke.

We were just the same as everyone else, especially where I came from, everyone ducked and dived for a living traveller and non traveller.

Certainly your family had their own funny ways and words they sometimes used but that's all......what family dosnt?

It's only since the "Big Gypsy wedding" programmes and all the Irish BGW wannabe types came to the fore that it seems travellers are regarded as markedly different ?

Edited by WILF

It funny, and I would be interested to see if Marshman thinks the same, but when I grew up Traveller people (not Irish) were never really thought of as much different to anyone else.

We were just the same as everyone else, especially where I came from, everyone ducked and dived for a living traveller and non traveller.

Certainly your family had their own funny ways and words they sometimes used but that's all......what family dosnt?

It's only since the "Big Gypsy wedding" programmes and all the Irish BGW wannabe types came to the fore that it seems travellers are regarded as markedly different ?

You mean the Irish ones are scum.

You mean the Irish ones are scum.

I never said that, there are some stand up chaps amongst them too.....my people never really mixed with them and would have nothing to do with tinkers or hedge mumpers at all.

I play football with a lad here now, a Ward and he is as nice a young man as you would wish to meet.