Ancient Hunting Dogs

Does anyone know much about them? It fascinates me that, since man domesticated dogs, there must have been so many truly tried and tested hunting dogs. Literally from the dawn of time until the modern world interfered. It's a subject I'm really interested in but know very little about.

Can anyone enlighten me?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the dogs we have in this country,,in there present form,,,are some of the newest types,,,there ancestry might be old,,,but there along way from what they were....   Looking for old types,,yo

Waiting for the bolt  

Romans coursing mosaic ... Our breeds are ancient

Posted Images

Well the sighthounds have been around a long time, the oldest are the salukis but the greyhound type and perhaps the deerhound has been around for thousands of years too. I would imagine that peasantry would of kept lurcher types around as certainly in medieval times peasants were banned from keeping greyhound types - so perhaps they kept smaller collie x dogs to evade authorities?????. Read up on Plummers lurchers and sighthounds book there are loads of references in there.

A topic i find intresting many different types from different countries. I read a intresting article in edrd years ago about ferreting in malta which i enjoyed.

hunting-pharaoh-hounds-malta-ferret_zpsq

• Like 5

The Romans were supposed to brought a lot over with them, I'm sure I read somewhere that the dogs native people had here where either large mastiff type war dogs that impressed the Romans or small type dogs they reckoned where pets that were sacrificed and then buried alongside the person.??

I think the dogs we have in this country,,in there present form,,,are some of the newest types,,,there ancestry might be old,,,but there along way from what they were....

Looking for old types,,you have to look abroad and to the Middle East ,,,Salukis ,,Pharos,, ibizans,,podenco ,,Afghan and all the variations,,,,

Or of course just get in touch with Geoff Burrell ,,,lol

• Like 8

A topic i find intresting many different types from different countries. I read a intresting article in edrd years ago about ferreting in malta which i enjoyed.

Don't know if you have already seen darbo,,,but there's loads of ferreting with dogs,,in Spain ,,,Majorca ,,Canary Islands ect on you tube

Don't know if you have already seen darbo,,,but there's loads of ferreting with dogs,,in Spain ,,,Majorca ,,Canary Islands ect on you tube

ive never looked tomo but i will now many thanks. :thumbs:

The Romans were supposed to brought a lot over with them, I'm sure I read somewhere that the dogs native people had here where either large mastiff type war dogs that impressed the Romans or small type dogs they reckoned where pets that were sacrificed and then buried alongside the person.??

they were Alunts, big type running mastiffs , what they( tried) to recreate today.!!

If you can be arsed to trawl through,,,there was some good ones filmed on lanzerote I think it was ,,,the ferrets are muzzled ,,,and they hunt on the volcano slopes,,,the rabbits live in cracks in the hardened larva,,,not only are the dogs running on rock,,,but the ferrets really were althletic,,jumping up and down levels,,,

Interesting how the Spanish leg there rabbits,,they don't do it like us,,,through the hock,,wich as you know dries the bit of meat,,,,they do it with the toe nails,,,wich look to go between the slightly webbed bit on the foot,,,

• Like 1

If you can be arsed to trawl through,,,there was some good ones filmed on lanzerote I think it was ,,,the ferrets are muzzled ,,,and they hunt on the volcano slopes,,,the rabbits live in cracks in the hardened larva,,,not only are the dogs running on rock,,,but the ferrets really were althletic,,jumping up and down levels,,,

Interesting how the Spanish leg there rabbits,,they don't do it like us,,,through the hock,,wich as you know dries the bit of meat,,,,they do it with the toe nails,,,wich look to go between the slightly webbed bit on the foot,,,

:thumbs:

they were Alunts, big type running mastiffs , what they( tried) to recreate today.!!

I think the Pugance britannae was the British war/hunting molossar type that the romans liked when they invaded cant remember where I read it though,good thread mate.

Atb Mick

• Like 1