Question For The Experienced...

Ye, cos bull xs don't jack do they lol!

Of course they jack you should know that.

But being anti bull like you are that's a normal comment from you.

I would say that a bull will be able to take and sometimes enjoy having some stick from teeth.

It's funny how greyhounds weren't used in pits.

But apbt were.

That's the simple answer why bull greys are used and preferred by many lads.especially if it's out a good few times a week taking teeth.

And used for other things.were it might take some stick.

that wasn't a anti bull comment, it was a comment to the other fella. It don't matter what's in a dog if it don't like getting stick it'll jack.

I know bull xs jack have gone out and been around a few that mates have owned and talk to honest fellas who own them and will admit it.

If I was into thing that bite back I too would probably get a bull greyhound, their pain threshold will be better than any other cross as a majority.

Let's not start it into a slanging match, as said that comment was meant for the fella saying u be thanking yourself it got bull in it.

well from Dan who used to be on here in USA he used line bred stags, for killing yotes, from what he said and pics a yote twice as big as any fox, and fights lot harder , the stags neck the yote to control it and kill it , think they use 2-3 on a kill , but atleast one still got to strike 1st at the yote. So it need guts to do it, these stags are most greyx deerhound, and maybe bit of pit in there some where . apbt deff puts guts in to a dog regards getting hurt, but as said a greyhound when wound up deff nasty dog, you neeed both breeds if just to take punishment regular. another breed for guts giving and taking are well bred gsds and bel mals put to running dogs you get a tough type dog :thumbs::yes:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good reading. Truth is, Duce (sire tothe3/4's) has some bull in him and it's plenty enough for me. I take whatever comes and can be running a coyote one minute and rabbits the next. I'm just trying to

Some lads have mentioned having Bull in the mix, imho if the "right" Greyhound is used the offspring should have enough gut and fire in the belly for any job. A good greyhound fears nothing.

I'm getting the impression that most 3/4 crosses ARE nearly as smart as the 1/2 crosses. I hope I'm reading that right. It would be nice if that were the case. If I'm not feeling the brains with this

I would say that a bull will be able to take and sometimes enjoy having some stick from teeth.

But apbt were.

That's the simple answer why bull greys are used and preferred by many lads.especially if it's out a good few times a week taking teeth.

that wasn't a anti bull comment, it was a comment to the other fella. It don't matter what's in a dog if it don't like getting stick it'll jack.

I know bull xs jack have gone out and been around a few that mates have owned and talk to honest fellas who own them and will admit it.

If I was into thing that bite back I too would probably get a bull greyhound, their pain threshold will be better than any other cross as a majority.

Let's not start it into a slanging match, as said that comment was meant for the fella saying u be thanking yourself it got bull in it.

well from Dan who used to be on here in USA he used line bred stags, for killing yotes, from what he said and pics a yote twice as big as any fox, and fights lot harder , the stags neck the yote to control it and kill it , think they use 2-3 on a kill , but atleast one still got to strike 1st at the yote. So it need guts to do it, these stags are most greyx deerhound, and maybe bit of pit in there some where . apbt deff puts guts in to a dog regards getting hurt, but as said a greyhound when wound up deff nasty dog, you neeed both breeds if just to take punishment regular. another breed for guts giving and taking are well bred gsds and bel mals put to running dogs you get a tough type dog :thumbs::yes:
I just think different lurchers suit different people completely I know boys that have no interest in rabbits and other lads that no interest in anything but rabbits !

Some boys want a point and slip lurcher others want a hunting lurcher we could argue all day what's the best cross I like my lurchers ruthless just grab on when you can and hold ! My blue bitch isn't like that but she brings so much more to the table she's worth her weight in gold if you can't find it here you can't kill it ! She passionately Hates foxes but if she's retrieving a fox and a dog she doesn't know grab it she will walk away some people think that's lack of drive and a shit dog but it's my shit dog !

I don't believe anything till I see it someone on here could tell me they got a lurchers doing this and doing that makes no ended to me can type what you want I don't believe till I see and a few lads on here I take my hat off your dogs are top quality best dogs iv seen in my life for day time hands down a lad local to me he's got a few DVDs truely awesome bitch ! Probably great all rounder lamping and ferreting if see given the chance but she wouldn't suit eceryonec

• Like 4

But apbt were.

sort of what I'm saying, if you use the right dogs, that CAN produce good off spring your onto a winner.

But this site, with members who breed litters have usually bred off the bitvh for the very first ever time, to a dog. It's a gamble.

It is nice knowing parents are good, puts your mind at rest over first 12 months of your a worrying type. My old bitch parents were good dogs , she was crap. Lol

So, I'm fairly new to lurchers and longdogs but I have some to this question. For someone who has the idea of wanting a lurcher that is big enough to handle most game and styles of hunting, would an old pro choose a first cross collie lurcher or a 3/4 bred collie lurcher?Thanks in advance. :)

Might just be me reading into this but this reads as if your wanting to catch the bigger game because of your wants for a big enough dog to handle most game. But you are opposed to adding bull blood for taking the hard fighting and more powerful game and are wanting to breed away from the catch and kill type mentality of the sight hound by adding working type blood of the collie. I'm not saying the collie won't catch and kill smaller stuff but that breed in its pure form isn't going to willing take on and fight to kill or catch a coyote or bigger game by itself. So when your adding this to a sight hound, your taking away some of the sight hounds willingness to take on the bigger hard fighting stuff. To take this stuff on you need to add hardness, not take it away. To take hardness out of the dog catching bigger harder fighting game means your limiting yourself to what your dog will willingly catch or you will need to send more dogs to catch, hold, fight or kill what the harder dog will do on its own.

I see you limiting yourself in what you can catch with ruling out the bull blood. If your wanting to get back hardness by adding deerhound or wolfhound types because your wanting bigger dogs that are capable of catching most game, then your significantly adding to the time it takes to mature these dogs and your still not getting the hardness the same dose of bull blood will give you.

Just trying to help and give you some things to consider when making your choice. Sorry if I come across as trying to tell you what to do and how to breed your own dogs.

• Like 1

But apbt were.

sort of what I'm saying, if you use the right dogs, that CAN produce good off spring your onto a winner.

But this site, with members who breed litters have usually bred off the bitvh for the very first ever time, to a dog. It's a gamble.

It is nice knowing parents are good, puts your mind at rest over first 12 months of your a worrying type. My old bitch parents were good dogs , she was crap. Lol

yeh its a risk when you pick any pup really, even Dan from his old posts, from a litter of 10 line bred proven stags yote dogs , you might only 3-4 that make good yote dogs, same as pit dogs not all are game bred , only few are.

You lot have turned this thread into a bull cross argument. Dan's already said he doesn't want bullcrosses as he hunts a variety of quarry and I'd take that to mean that a bullcross would get dead quickly. From his posts in the past, coyote aren't his main quarry.

I'd say either cross (1/2 or 1/4) could learn to stand back waiting it's chance, especially if it saw other dogs doing that.

• Like 1

I've never seen a Collie/Grey kill a fox, and the reasons for this was:

A. I owned one that was shite and loved the feel of their brush than anything else.

B. I've witnessed 2 other collie greys that had the balls to approach one, but fannied around at point of contact not finishing the job.

Pretty quick movers and good all day on rabbits with indestructible feet.

This post was for "The Experienced" I'm sure they will be on soon to answer.

Edited by artic

Good reading. Truth is, Duce (sire tothe3/4's) has some bull in him and it's plenty enough for me. I take whatever comes and can be running a coyote one minute and rabbits the next. I'm just trying to learn, ahead of time, what to expect from my 3/4 pups. I haven't seen a coyote back the sire up yet. The dame is hard but not that hard and both will get the neck in good style. I'm not worried about hardness and fight in the least bit, that's why I get to sit back and wonder about brains. Vicki is the mother and is the stag x border collie cross. She's a freakish genius and I just talk to her like a person and she listens better than my daughter. Duce is mostly stag but has a pit in the mix a few generations ago. He'll run track with the hounds and by himself and he trees like an coondog. He's 28" @ 100# and can pick a coyote up off the ground without much problem. Except for the border collie, which goes back to a famous hill collie from over there, everything in these pups has been hunt tested for many generations. I would guess that statement falls short concerning the pit blood as I'm sure at some point they were just fighting dogs. I've hunted everything that runs or flies here with the parents except for bears. I've gone through quite a few dogs to get to these and they are exceptional and very tough in every way. I raised the Yeti dog Dan Edwards hunts with and he was great but a little big for this country.

That little whippet x jagdterrier, I call them wackterriers, is named Diesel. He's doing great and as expected, has as much heart as anything here. He's not nearly as brainy as Vicki but he's no dummy. Diesel is very trainable and is learning a great many things. He's goingto be a great dog and I hunt him mostly when I'm out with the kids but he's getting older and has his teeth now so he gets to go along with the big dogs more lately.

Here's the 3/4 litter. I'm keeping the first and third pup from the left.

16924g8.jpg

• Like 6

Some lads have mentioned having Bull in the mix, imho if the "right" Greyhound is used the offspring should have enough gut and fire in the belly for any job. A good greyhound fears nothing.

It might not fear nothing until it runs into something that bites back with venom, then you'll thank your lucky stars it has got Bull in it.
totally agree! Seen a lot of dogs that don't fear much until get bitten. That bull is needed to take pain and to produce it.

You lot have turned this thread into a bull cross argument. Dan's already said he doesn't want bullcrosses as he hunts a variety of quarry and I'd take that to mean that a bullcross would get dead quickly. From his posts in the past, coyote aren't his main quarry.

I'd say either cross (1/2 or 1/4) could learn to stand back waiting it's chance, especially if it saw other dogs doing that.

Your kinda right and their is a reason for that.

I'm getting the impression that most 3/4 crosses ARE nearly as smart as the 1/2 crosses. I hope I'm reading that right. It would be nice if that were the case. If I'm not feeling the brains with this pair then I'm just going to stick to first crosses. I am looking for an outstanding border collie female to breed to Duce and will be making another first cross litter in the near future. I'm going to put together one hell of a batch of lurchers when this thing is done. I'm very thankful for this site and all of the men that have helped me out with the little details that make getting into a new (to me) type of hunting dog. If any of you make the move to the states and find yourself needing a dog just look me up and I'll give you one. Your all on my good list.

• Like 4

Just go for a lurcher to lurcher cross. In most cases 2 good lurchers breed good lurcher pups if some common sense is used when choosing the sire and dam. If the dam is lacking a top gear but is a great mooching dog x her with a fast lurcher.

I have tried going back to the roots of breeding lurchers and to be truthfull it worked ok but was not ground breaking. Don't worry about what blood is in the breeding just breed from (or chose a pup from) 2 good dogs who you think when crossed would give the best of their attributes to their pups. Hit lucky and you will have a star.

To blue- If I don't make them, I don't get one. There are about enough lurchers in the USA to supply three packs of ten dogs each...that's the whole country...all 50 states. That's how few there are here. Kinda blows my mind to think that there are so many over there and that few here. On top of that, of those thirty dogs I've made half of them and half of those are dead already. I'm essentially I'm on my own.

What's wrong with the stags you've got over their? From what I know of them ( which is very little) their more than capable of taking all you need. And arnt they just a line bred lurcher? One thing I will tell you is the more collie you put in a dog the wiser it will be, wise enough to pick and choose what, when, where and if it can be arsed running it. It's you're choice but I'd go for less brain and more prey drive any time.