Another Old Lurcher Picture

I wonder did it ever cross his mind that at some point in the future what he took as part and parcel of country life would be frowned upon even to the disgraceful conclusion of banning it. I really don't think so! Good days hard but good. Thanks for another terrific pic marshman

I'm pretty sure it was frowned upon then!

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lads this one needed a thread of its own so how do you think this travelling mans lurcher is bred ? Not sure how old this photograph is but I'll try to find out pretty sure it's very old though !

One thing that strikes me about that photo is, it's only one rabbit, but means the world. No ego's just good honest pot hunting, take what you need and leave the rest for when you need them again.  

Posted Images

flat1000x1000075f_zpso51jej4g.jpg

Where did you get that one Darbo? Looks like a Peter Ingham paint job.

Its by sue nichol on a site called redbubble i cant put links up computer illterate im afraid you can buy the print. ive read about peter ingham building and restoring gypsy waggons a talented man.

• Like 1

A question for all you travelling lads or those who hunted for the pot in harder days gone by...... why a lurcher? Surely a percentage of what you could of been feeding your family you'd have to give to the dog? If it was me a catapult or snares would of been a better bet, they don't need feeding, which in terms means less risk and more food. ... as I said lads a genuine question

You must be very proud s.e.s.k.u. to have a picture of your relative especially with a lurcher by her side I know I would ATB

yes mate on my dads side my family came over from Ireland for jobs in the coal mines ..I suppose a lurcher was a very handy thing to have catching the odd rabbit for the pot..

I think in my opinion the lurcher was a status symbol. Other romany families when meeting up together were keen to show how their dogs performed in the field. Same with their horses as you see at appleby now. Good question though hope others have thoughts on this ATB

• Like 1

A question for all you travelling lads or those who hunted for the pot in harder days gone by...... why a lurcher? Surely a percentage of what you could of been feeding your family you'd have to give to the dog? If it was me a catapult or snares would of been a better bet, they don't need feeding, which in terms means less risk and more food. ... as I said lads a genuine question

Snares you got to go twice,set the snare,then retrieve it,plus snared rabbits lying there advertising,doubling risk of getting caught, catty you have to have your eye in,ok in daylight or full moon,dog years ago you didn't use a lamp,it should go out into field catch a rabbit,drive hare into a gate net,or catch a roosting bird or farmyard chicken and bring it back to you.

They also were the guards of the bender/trailer/ campsite /house or let you know when someone's close when your out an about.and they used their nose to scent game in cover,when there was proper thick hedgerows.just my opinion.

• Like 7

Cheers for the reply fellas, as said I was genuinely curious, I suppose back then to there was more opportunities to get a meal, pre myxi, a lot more farms to with free ranging poultry..... I was only thinking because horses and chickens require little extra feeding, pretty much self sufficient if need to be